Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

12 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

There seems to be an increased expectation that a club that did not have a pot to pee in, barely had the money to pay its players,  had a divided fan base, ran by a lunatic owner and which had just been relegated from the division above and had to rebuild the majority of their squad should of been storming the division from day 1. 

It doesn't work that way and there are ample examples in this division who have struggled to recover when their club has been relegated in a total mess.

The form from November onwards - as highlighted on the first page - is a greater sign of the progress of this club and management team than the fixation with the first three months of the season when a new style & squad were largely gelling together.

Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly. But that does not mean the club should tear up everything of the last 12 months and re-do it all again. 

That being said, Moore has to start next season on the front front, because next year, the play-offs will not be good enough. If the club are not in contention at Christmas then he might find himself a goner. 

^^^ This ^^^

👍

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He might; he might not.

Having just seen us take more than two points a game under his management from November onwards, I wouldn't be looking to get rid of him right now.

Fair enough mate. Personally I think he gets mastered by other managers in the crucial games

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We will be in the same position as last summer. Half a team again. Why would you take a gamble on him he's failed. Getting in to the playoffs is no achievement if your tactics are to sit back. Hast got the tactical ability or any motivational abilities. Stop this let's just keep him because change doesn't work crap. No change works if uou keep choosing crap managers. Other than Bruce non have had decent credentials and Carlos only works for a year before he implodes. 

The argument for not changing on this basis is complete rubbish. Good manager good players.... simples we've repeatedly not done that or had a few good and a lot of rubbish. No wonder we have been out of the premiership so very long

18 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Fair enough mate. Personally I think he gets mastered by other managers in the crucial games

No denying we were poor in the playoff games.

That aside our record against the other top 6 managers was really very good.

5 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Fantasy land. We are not getting back to back promotions even if we appoint Klopp.

I didn’t mean literally next season and then the one after, but we need 2 promotions from here. Wilder did it in 3 seasons so that’s what we should be looking at if we had the right manager and recruitment. The championship is weak, even Luton are in the top 6

18 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Since the end of January, our record is W14 D4 L4, including wins over two of the top three, plus a couple of those challenging us for the play off places. Eight of those wins were by two goals or more. Apart from being beaten by an injury time goal last night in a game that could easily have gone the other way, I'm struggling to see a great deal of evidence to back this up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Moore built a team with basically no money, trying to attract players to a toxic club and turned them into promotion contenders..  At the end of last season most were thinking mid table, we had a rough start to the season...   We still have a lot of areas to strengthen, especially between the sticks, BPF at the start of the season is a totally different keeper to the end of the season, thats why Burnley wanted him to go out on loan, I don't know if we will be able to get him back, I guess a lot of that will depend on which league Burnley are in next season..   The team too time to adjust, but we have more of a core team, it would be great to bring in one or two of the loan players and keep some top performers that are out of contract so we can hit the ground running, add to that a couple of top league one additions and we should be looking for auto's next season..

Is Moore good enough, yes, and we do not want to start from scratch again, that would be a backwards step....  Moore has done amazingly well second half of this season, lets see that kick on into next season..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

We will be in the same position as last summer. Half a team again.

This is my worry.

The excuse this season was we had to put a side together from scratch then find the best players.

We’ll be going into the season again with no players…

Hopefully we will have the basis of a side in Hunt and Johnson wingback, likely to be a new defence.

Fisayo, Bannan, Byers

Gregory

Thrn we need a keeper, striker and 3 CBs straight away

Next season is key for me.

This year was a bit of a free hit, I expected little given the rebuild of the squad and the fact we were a basket case of a club at the end of the relegation season. 

Moore can do it, I believe, but failure next season will be then end of his time here I think.

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Enough about west Brom, this is a Wednesday forum for Wednesday chat 

It must be a requirement that clubs that play in blue and white stripes are the biggest let downs going.

Sometimes I regret having connections to Sheffield as having the Albion are bad enough!

lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liam_Baggies said:

There seems to be an increased expectation that a club that did not have a pot to pee in, barely had the money to pay its players,  had a divided fan base, ran by a lunatic owner and which had just been relegated from the division above and had to rebuild the majority of their squad should of been storming the division from day 1. 

It doesn't work that way and there are ample examples in this division who have struggled to recover when their club has been relegated in a total mess.

The form from November onwards - as highlighted on the first page - is a greater sign of the progress of this club and management team than the fixation with the first three months of the season when a new style & squad were largely gelling together.

Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly. But that does not mean the club should tear up everything of the last 12 months and re-do it all again. 

That being said, Moore has to start next season on the front front, because next year, the play-offs will not be good enough. If the club are not in contention at Christmas then he might find himself a goner. 

The last paragraph is exactly what we should be expecting.

5 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Since the end of January, our record is W14 D4 L4, including wins over two of the top three, plus a couple of those challenging us for the play off places. Eight of those wins were by two goals or more. Apart from being beaten by an injury time goal last night in a game that could easily have gone the other way, I'm struggling to see a great deal of evidence to back this up. 

Evidence being a relegation and play off semi failure I guess

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, unkastav said:

Evidence being a relegation and play off semi failure I guess

If you strip away the fluff and opinions the goal last season was survival and the goal this season was promotion. His record is:

2020/21: Achieve 16 points from 14 games to ensure survival ❌

Or; failing that achieve 15 points from 14 games as long as beating Derby on the final day was a part of it ❌

2021/22: Achieve 2 points per game in league 1 with the highest budget in the league and win automatic promotion (91 points would have been enough) ❌

Or; failing that beat Sunderland over 2 legs and then Wycombe Wanderers at Wembley to win promotion ❌

Not great.

I think he did change the system to adapt to a lack of centre halves. That was enforced really and the view being that two full back type centre halves helping a traditional one rather than just having two was probably an ok call. Some teams do that out of choice to get on the front foot. But as it was enforced it did cost us away from home, especially at Oxford.

I think DM needs to go for automatic promotion and could assemble a side to do that. But I’m not sure about play off football as that last 30 at Sunderland and at Derby last season (effectively a play off) it was just chaos and extremely risky which cost us both times.

17 hours ago, Gbear1867 said:

Next season is key for me.

This year was a bit of a free hit, I expected little given the rebuild of the squad and the fact we were a basket case of a club at the end of the relegation season. 

Moore can do it, I believe, but failure next season will be then end of his time here I think.

Yes I think he deserves another go despite some misgivings. There would be those about most manager in some way. But if we fail next season you’d think 2 was enough and time to start thinking about replacements. I would only replace if there was a clear man for the job that was obtainable.

We don’t want to fall into the Sunderland panic trap though. They seemed to sack a lot of managers at various points and whilst they seem to have an effective one now in AN, I think the constant changing has probably lengthened their time here.

• Like 1