Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

5 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

When’s his contract up? Is it now? Or is he signed off for next year?

No chance we should wait until Christmas, and what - give him another third to merge a new side together and not have a clue on how he wants to play? What a waste. 

Get someone in who can play a system and knows what he wants out the players from the off

Who do you suggest? 

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

The tactics we use are built around Gregory. We can't play them without him. So when he's out we play a more forward pressing game, which we can't play with him.

We changed playstyle as he was coming back, even if only for the last half hour, as that's what we usually play.

Your obsession with Gregory has been a bizarre Owlstalk subplot this season. I'm not convinced you actually believe it, but I admire your commitment to the charade, if nothing else.

I love the idea that our whole game plan for the Lincoln game changed because Gregory was on the bench.

'Right lads - Greggers is on the bench today, so I don't want anymore of that closing down malarkey, okay? We might not even bring him on, but change everything about your game today, yeah?'

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Does anything in his managerial track record suggest he is?

Does he inspire his players, can he adapt to changing situations in games, can he surprise and outwit his 'opposites' manager?

Can he get his players to rise to the big occasion, can he get his team to manage the game, see games out and do the 'ugly' things that are all part of the modern game?

Although our season ended last night, I think that insane spell of Johnson, Palmer and who ever else's name came out of the hat to play in the 3 at the back was what effectively killed our season, it was a WTF moment on a par with playing FF at Full-Back, but it went on for ages. I know we had injuries, every team does, you adapt, you play a different system, one that suits your players strengths - not shoehorn players stubbornly into alien positions because you don't have a Plan B, let alone a C,D.......

The loan signings we made, were on the whole absolute garbage, wingers signed when we don't play with wingers and unfit defenders. He was so obsessed with the system he wanted to play, so why sign them? We have been crying out for pace up front and an absolute Beast Mode Unit up front, we have nothing to change our focus of attack with, no out ball, no strength, no extra height in both defending and attacking set-pieces. Signing NML didn't help matters, he is just another winger, playing out of position, often at the expense of a more central attacker, running into Johnson's space and just confusing matters.

We can't defend balls into the box, we are hopeless against big Target Men and have been all season, yet it continues game after game. Here is how to beat SWFC - press our insane passing around at the back (that doesn't get us anywhere) , get somebody close to Barry Bannan, them lump it to the target man, if he doesn't score, don't worry, because you will score from the resulting set-piece - it really is that simple - if you can lob a a nice slice of ****-housery into the mix all the better....

I don't know what the answer is in terms of which manager could get us out of this division, but I'm not sure Darren Moore is it.

Wow. That’s a fantastic post my friend. All I’ve been thinking. Interestingly Patterson seemed to win headers last night but he’s not the answer. A lot of us could and can see what’s happening. I do like DM and think he has a future here but he needs to work out getting a way out of this pub league. 
Definitely need a big young target man. 
Centre halves if it’s not to be Dean although I am a big Gibson fan. 
Keeper situation is the big worry for me. 

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Does anything in his managerial track record suggest he is?

Does he inspire his players, can he adapt to changing situations in games, can he surprise and outwit his 'opposites' manager?

Can he get his players to rise to the big occasion, can he get his team to manage the game, see games out and do the 'ugly' things that are all part of the modern game?

Although our season ended last night, I think that insane spell of Johnson, Palmer and who ever else's name came out of the hat to play in the 3 at the back was what effectively killed our season, it was a WTF moment on a par with playing FF at Full-Back, but it went on for ages. I know we had injuries, every team does, you adapt, you play a different system, one that suits your players strengths - not shoehorn players stubbornly into alien positions because you don't have a Plan B, let alone a C,D.......

The loan signings we made, were on the whole absolute garbage, wingers signed when we don't play with wingers and unfit defenders. He was so obsessed with the system he wanted to play, so why sign them? We have been crying out for pace up front and an absolute Beast Mode Unit up front, we have nothing to change our focus of attack with, no out ball, no strength, no extra height in both defending and attacking set-pieces. Signing NML didn't help matters, he is just another winger, playing out of position, often at the expense of a more central attacker, running into Johnson's space and just confusing matters.

We can't defend balls into the box, we are hopeless against big Target Men and have been all season, yet it continues game after game. Here is how to beat SWFC - press our insane passing around at the back (that doesn't get us anywhere) , get somebody close to Barry Bannan, them lump it to the target man, if he doesn't score, don't worry, because you will score from the resulting set-piece - it really is that simple - if you can lob a a nice slice of ****-housery into the mix all the better....

I don't know what the answer is in terms of which manager could get us out of this division, but I'm not sure Darren Moore is it.

In a word YES 

No, I'm sensing (if he stays) it's going to be another Carlos story where next season we'll be more worried about slipping into the relegation places as we become a mid table outfit and hit a very bad patch of form. I'm dreading who we'll lose, players wise, in close season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our form since the start of November suggests Moore's good enough to get us promoted, yes. Once he'd had a bit of time to work with the squad, get to know the players, and develop our style of play, we were one of the best sides in the division.

If we can avoid the injury issues which plagued our season, keep the core of the squad together and add a few key reinforcements, there's no reason to think we couldn't go one step better next year.

1529832104_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.e7756c53375348a160c22ebba4bcc5e5.png

He could be signing up to 10 players again this summer . Hope he isn’t going to be experimenting with the side well into November again 

• Like 1

Absolutely yes

Excellent manager who got best out of an old and injury prone squad.

needs better and younger players this summer and the hop a longs and werthers original munchers out and we will storm the league . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Your obsession with Gregory has been a bizarre Owlstalk subplot this season. I'm not convinced you actually believe it, but I admire your commitment to the charade, if nothing else.

I love the idea that our whole game plan for the Lincoln game changed because Gregory was on the bench.

'Right lads - Greggers is on the bench today, so I don't want anymore of that closing down malarkey, okay? We might not even bring him on, but change everything about your game today, yeah?'

:duntmatter:

He was always going to come on, it's been the only constant this season, if he's able to, he plays.

He's the only player who has played in every game when available this season.

Even Bannan and BPF had a game out.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, our start to the season was stodgy.

It's not unheard of for squads who've undergone as much upheaval as we did to start slowly. When you couple that with the injury crisis we suffered, it's hardly surprising that we didn't fire on all cylinders for a while.

But I've seen enough since early November, and certainly since we signed some fit centre backs in the January transfer window, to think that we're good enough to get promoted from this league under Moore.

I don't see why we'd want to sack the manager who's got us averaging more than two points a game since the start of November in order to start again?

Because he wont get us promoted

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

Absolutely not.

Tactically inept.

50% of this post is a lazy, witless cliché that most using would struggle to elucidate beyond a few more similar vacuous soundbites.

Impressive strike rate.  :dry:

Makes you wonder why clubs spend so much money on these utterly hapless pretenders to lead them when at least 75% of them, every single season, are discussed as if they had all the knowledge and aptitude of something scraped off the inside of a toilet bowl.

Yes I think Moore can get us promoted 

next year there is a core group of this squad that will remain in place and we will add to that 

luongo. Might be a huge void to fill we need somebody who can do a job like he needs to, strong in the tackle can join in in attacks and is calm and beat on the ball 

he allows bannan to play, it’s no coincidence that when he came back into the fould our results massively improved 

hopefully dean can be made permanent 

we will still need two other cbs in my opinion and ones that have height to replace dunkley and storey 

we need to add height upfront too and someone who can  cover replace or challenge Gregory whilst unpopular and I’ve mentioned this a few times now somebody like ladapo and Hirst would IMO give us a very strong strike force 

we need to add to our full backs and get some pace in there 

then hopefully our luck on injuries turns iorfa hasn’t got going but we all know what he can bring when fit and match fit we haven’t had that at all this season and we would have got those additional points for automatic promotion in my opinion if windass had been fit 

I think we can do much better in goal than peacock-Farrel not slamming him but he does look suspect at times and some of his blunders ( I know others are guilty too ) have cost us

Anybody ride going out won’t be missed 

loan players will free up our squad to recruit 

Peacock - Farrel, no

dean - yes 

storey - yes but won’t happen 

shodipo - no

john jules - no

kamberi - no

I think it will be key this summer in recruitment but given those leaving won’t be too disastrous and if we only got 3/4 quality players in, giving the core squad we have and more from injured players even adreianan will give us more quality, more consistency

were a year experienced now and our second half of this season suggests we are all ready title contenders 

we build in summer not throw the towel in 

1 minute ago, Django said:

He could be signing up to 10 players again this summer . Hope he isn’t going to be experimenting with the side well into November again 

This is the potential issue, but it would affect any manager we brought in, too.

At least with Moore, he knows the players and vice versa, and we already have an established style of play in place.

Hopefully we can add some key recruits early and bed them into our system without too much fuss.

It will be very interesting to see who leaves this summer.

21 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He was always going to come on, it's been the only constant this season, if he's able to, he plays.

He's the only player who has played in every game when available this season.

Even Bannan and BPF had a game out.

That's because, with Windass injured / unfit, he's our best forward.

As for the Lincoln game, the players who started had almost 70 minutes to play without Gregory - are you seriously suggesting that his presence on the bench caused them to lose that game?