Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

Our weakness all season has been conceding soft goals, often late in the game or conceding from set pieces. We don't seem to have got to grips with this at all and it's killed us metaphorically speaking. 

If we haven't sorted it by now will Moore and his coaches sort it out at all? Doesn't matter how nice football you play if you concede as soon as a set piece is launched into your penalty area which as we know is something most teams at this level do a lot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's because, with Windass injured / unfit, he's our best forward.

As for the Lincoln game, the players who started had almost 70 minutes to play without Gregory - are you seriously suggesting that his presence on the bench caused them to lose that game?

No, the tactics played caused them to lose the game.

The same tactics that have cost us so many points this season.

• Like 1

It is easy to criticise a Manager after failure, but given the resources the DM had, regardless of the injuries he should have done better. All teams have injuries, it is how you manage the squad and make tactical changes to alleviate the problem. I believe that DM is not a tactician. some of his team selections were baffling, some of his substitutions were even more baffling. being a nice man is not enough. Thinking back to when he joined us Doncaster fans were saying that he was stubbon in his team selection, and limited in his tactical knowledge.

Once again given the resources at his disposal compared to the rest of the L1 teams we should have done better. The problem is who would we bring in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not overly convinced by him but I think he should be given the chance to hopefully start next season as strongly as we ended this one, last two games aside.

If we aren’t making progress by November/December then I’d feel like it’d be time to make a change, but for now, I feel like some continuity is probably the best option

2 hours ago, Brad_owl said:

There is literally nothing to suggest Darren is the man. Nothing. 

Form from January is all good and well but a season starts in August. Letting him loose to start the season wastes another season.

Thanks for coming Darren, you have been great but we need better. 

To be fair even factoring in the slow start we still got 85 points. Usually 90ish is enough for automatics. 

It really wouldn't take much improvement to get over the line.

Whether Moore is the man to take us up or not I don't think it's accurate to say there is nothing to suggest he can do it. 

• Like 1

85 points , and we all know there was ample

room for improvement - no point changing , iron out a few of these errors and we have no reason to doubt he can’t get us promoted 

don’t forget only 18mons ago people were saying and rightly so , our club was toxic from

top to bottom - I think Moore has done a good job of slowing changing the mentality - so he does need credit 

the tide is turning 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

85 points , and we all know there was ample

room for improvement - no point changing , iron out a few of these errors and we have no reason to doubt he can’t get us promoted 

don’t forget only 18mons ago people were saying and rightly so , our club was toxic from

top to bottom - I think Moore has done a good job of slowing changing the mentality - so he does need credit 

the tide is turning 

Totally agree 

In his first full season at the club, with no transfer budget (I'm happy to discount the argument we had the biggest wage budget as that's inherited so DM couldn't really do too much with it) and a disillusioned fan base, players who in the previous year weren't always paid on time, he's achieved 4th and 85 points. You can't get rid of a manager on that, we'd have never kept Charlton or Atkinson if we worked to those principals. I'm still not convinced, but he has fully earnt another crack at it and he's also started to our a smile back on some fans faces due to the attractive football at times. We need to kick on now, add pace, add strength, add game management, add a proper mobile target man and add a plan B. Let's not do what we did after Hull and not recognise where improvement is needed. 

6 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

In his first full season at the club, with no transfer budget (I'm happy to discount the argument we had the biggest wage budget as that's inherited so DM couldn't really do too much with it) and a disillusioned fan base, players who in the previous year weren't always paid on time, he's achieved 4th and 85 points. You can't get rid of a manager on that, we'd have never kept Charlton or Atkinson if we worked to those principals. I'm still not convinced, but he has fully earnt another crack at it and he's also started to our a smile back on some fans faces due to the attractive football at times. We need to kick on now, add pace, add strength, add game management, add a proper mobile target man and add a plan B. Let's not do what we did after Hull and not recognise where improvement is needed. 

Wasn't the problem sticking with Carlos after Hull?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0742 said:

He's good enough for this league, but tactically he's not great and would likely get found out in the league above.

That said, he's still young and still learning and whilst i'm not the biggest fan of some of his decisions, mainly because i want instant success, i think he will help steady the ship. If we'd got promoted next season would have been really rough on us, we'd have got pumped by the pigs, leeds, watford and norwich and probably a few others too. We'd almost certainly have been fighting relegation. On top of that Bannan is fading, age is catching up with him and by the time we do get promoted next season he wont cope with the key player role in the championship, this gives Moore time to phase him out and bring in new blood either by developing Adeniran and Dele or finding new players.

I said a few months ago Moore wasn't right, but i think with where we're at, he will get us promoted with just a few tweaks to his tactical decision making and i'd love to see an experienced director of football come in to help him, along with some experienced coaches too.

Thats all we need for now, he has shown since Oxford loss 2 -3 at it with the style and play, no one can say who can come in and sweep us up, deserves a crack next year but yes needs a set piece coach defending to help, it hurts but not a lot wrong to go again next time 

There seems to be an increased expectation that a club that did not have a pot to pee in, barely had the money to pay its players,  had a divided fan base, ran by a lunatic owner and which had just been relegated from the division above and had to rebuild the majority of their squad should of been storming the division from day 1. 

It doesn't work that way and there are ample examples in this division who have struggled to recover when their club has been relegated in a total mess.

The form from November onwards - as highlighted on the first page - is a greater sign of the progress of this club and management team than the fixation with the first three months of the season when a new style & squad were largely gelling together.

Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly. But that does not mean the club should tear up everything of the last 12 months and re-do it all again. 

That being said, Moore has to start next season on the front front, because next year, the play-offs will not be good enough. If the club are not in contention at Christmas then he might find himself a goner. 

Edited by Liam_Baggies
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

Wasn't the problem sticking with Carlos after Hull?

It's a fair question. I'm not sure, he certainly seemed to go more defensive and we didn't solve the obvious issues we had when we lost to Hull (a midfield enforcer, a striker with pace), but I'm not sure if that was totally down to Carlos. That's why though, in my post I've said we need to address our current issues. I'd also say that in the second year under Carlos we finished higher and really should have gone up given the other play off contenders. By his 3rd year it seemed obvious Carlos was not taking note of the teams shortfalls, Moore has to. Hopefully Moore is less set in his ways. 

Sack Moore now and we might as well advertise for a new manager on the basis that anything but promotion isn't good enough. Can't recall the exact stats but in our last 25 years we've only finished in the top half of the table around 6 times and we've never changed managers so often. 

3 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

There seems to be an increased expectation that a club that did not have a pot to pee in, barely had the money to pay its players,  had a divided fan base, ran by a lunatic owner and which had just been relegated from the division above and had to rebuild the majority of their squad should of been storming the division from day 1. 

It doesn't work that way and there are ample examples in this division who have struggled to recover when their club has been relegated in a total mess.

The form from November onwards - as highlighted on the first page - is a greater sign of the progress of this club and management team than the fixation with the first three months of the season when a new style & squad were largely gelling together.

Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly. But that does not mean the club should tear up everything of the last 12 months and re-do it all again. 

That being said, Moore has to start next season on the front front, because next year, the play-offs will not be good enough. If the club are not in contention at Christmas then he might find himself a goner. 

sensible and people forget the coins sunderland, wigan and ipswich chucked about when hands are tied course hurting but some praise must be given to moore to see an identity and the consistency post Jan

I don't think Chansiri will make a change so its a bit irrelevant. But I think this is how it will go next season:

We'll be very much the same as this season, have too much for a lot of teams, have games where we score some decent goals which is always fun to watch but we'll have other games where we don't do the basics well enough, we can't break teams down and then we don't get the results.

Results will be good enough for the group that always backs Moore to say 'hey we're still in with a shot at promotion, its early in the season, give him time he can come good.' The other group will be frustrated with us dropping points and sitting 5th to 8th in the table when the teams in the top 2 are no better than us, just have better managers.

What will happen then is either Chansiri will decide autos were the target and he'll be let go for someone else to try and rescue it, or he will sit on his hands and hope the 'Moore in' group are right. If he does that we will probably end up not getting promoted again though.

I've seen enough to know he's unlikely to be the man to get us the back to back promotions we need but sadly I think we could end up wasting a lot of time on this guy and stay in League 1 for a while just on the basis that he does do some good things rather than it being awful or anything, but he doesn't know how to win when it matters.

8 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Enough about west Brom, this is a Wednesday forum for Wednesday chat 

:duntmatter:

• Love 1