Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our form since the start of November suggests Moore's good enough to get us promoted, yes. Once he'd had a bit of time to work with the squad, get to know the players, and develop our style of play, we were one of the best sides in the division.

If we can avoid the injury issues which plagued our season, keep the core of the squad together and add a few key reinforcements, there's no reason to think we couldn't go one step better next year.

1529832104_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.e7756c53375348a160c22ebba4bcc5e5.png

The other 15 games are what cost us though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Does anything in his managerial track record suggest he is?

Does he inspire his players, can he adapt to changing situations in games, can he surprise and outwit his 'opposites' manager?

Can he get his players to rise to the big occasion, can he get his team to manage the game, see games out and do the 'ugly' things that are all part of the modern game?

Although our season ended last night, I think that insane spell of Johnson, Palmer and who ever else's name came out of the hat to play in the 3 at the back was what effectively killed our season, it was a WTF moment on a par with playing FF at Full-Back, but it went on for ages. I know we had injuries, every team does, you adapt, you play a different system, one that suits your players strengths - not shoehorn players stubbornly into alien positions because you don't have a Plan B, let alone a C,D.......

The loan signings we made, were on the whole absolute garbage, wingers signed when we don't play with wingers and unfit defenders. He was so obsessed with the system he wanted to play, so why sign them? We have been crying out for pace up front and an absolute Beast Mode Unit up front, we have nothing to change our focus of attack with, no out ball, no strength, no extra height in both defending and attacking set-pieces. Signing NML didn't help matters, he is just another winger, playing out of position, often at the expense of a more central attacker, running into Johnson's space and just confusing matters.

We can't defend balls into the box, we are hopeless against big Target Men and have been all season, yet it continues game after game. Here is how to beat SWFC - press our insane passing around at the back (that doesn't get us anywhere) , get somebody close to Barry Bannan, them lump it to the target man, if he doesn't score, don't worry, because you will score from the resulting set-piece - it really is that simple - if you can lob a a nice slice of ****-housery into the mix all the better....

I don't know what the answer is in terms of which manager could get us out of this division, but I'm not sure Darren Moore is it.

Who knows but he's probably done enough to be given another chance.

85 points isn't far off where we need to be.

Changing manager and starting again is at least as risky as sticking with Moore.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

The other 15 games are what cost us though.

Yes, our start to the season was stodgy.

It's not unheard of for squads who've undergone as much upheaval as we did to start slowly. When you couple that with the injury crisis we suffered, it's hardly surprising that we didn't fire on all cylinders for a while.

But I've seen enough since early November, and certainly since we signed some fit centre backs in the January transfer window, to think that we're good enough to get promoted from this league under Moore.

I don't see why we'd want to sack the manager who's got us averaging more than two points a game since the start of November in order to start again?

• Like 5

I dont think so no

But its irrelevant what we think 

It's down to one man which  manager takes us into next season 

Next season is massive now 

I want to see some big decisions made 

High earners released/sold 

Some young ,hungry blood brought in 

Big summer a head 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Does he inspire his players, can he adapt to changing situations in games, can he surprise and outwit his 'opposites' manager?

Can he get his players to rise to the big occasion, can he get his team to manage the game, see games out and do the 'ugly' things that are all part of the modern game?

Although our season ended last night, I think that insane spell of Johnson, Palmer and who ever else's name came out of the hat to play in the 3 at the back was what effectively killed our season, it was a WTF moment on a par with playing FF at Full-Back, but it went on for ages. I know we had injuries, every team does, you adapt, you play a different system, one that suits your players strengths - not shoehorn players stubbornly into alien positions because you don't have a Plan B, let alone a C,D.......

The loan signings we made, were on the whole absolute garbage, wingers signed when we don't play with wingers and unfit defenders. He was so obsessed with the system he wanted to play, so why sign them? We have been crying out for pace up front and an absolute Beast Mode Unit up front, we have nothing to change our focus of attack with, no out ball, no strength, no extra height in both defending and attacking set-pieces. Signing NML didn't help matters, he is just another winger, playing out of position, often at the expense of a more central attacker, running into Johnson's space and just confusing matters.

We can't defend balls into the box, we are hopeless against big Target Men and have been all season, yet it continues game after game. Here is how to beat SWFC - press our insane passing around at the back (that doesn't get us anywhere) , get somebody close to Barry Bannan, them lump it to the target man, if he doesn't score, don't worry, because you will score from the resulting set-piece - it really is that simple - if you can lob a a nice slice of ****-housery into the mix all the better....

I don't know what the answer is in terms of which manager could get us out of this division, but I'm not sure Darren Moore is it.

No is your answer... 

• Like 4

He's good enough for this league, but tactically he's not great and would likely get found out in the league above.

That said, he's still young and still learning and whilst i'm not the biggest fan of some of his decisions, mainly because i want instant success, i think he will help steady the ship. If we'd got promoted next season would have been really rough on us, we'd have got pumped by the pigs, leeds, watford and norwich and probably a few others too. We'd almost certainly have been fighting relegation. On top of that Bannan is fading, age is catching up with him and by the time we do get promoted next season he wont cope with the key player role in the championship, this gives Moore time to phase him out and bring in new blood either by developing Adeniran and Dele or finding new players.

I said a few months ago Moore wasn't right, but i think with where we're at, he will get us promoted with just a few tweaks to his tactical decision making and i'd love to see an experienced director of football come in to help him, along with some experienced coaches too.

We've been pretty close since November. Sunderland outfought us and out-thought us over two legs but it was fine margins in the end. The squad will change significantly again this summer, so there's no guarantee we keep up our form of the last 5-6 months without a hiccup, but making a change isn't any guarantee of success. I hope Moore stays and is backed to keep the players he wants to keep.

• Like 1

We have to start next season positively. 

Can't be playing catch up again. 

I'd give him the summer to carry on the further rebuild of the squad, hopefully reduce the average age a bit etc. Don't think there is much merit in tearing it all up and trying to start again. 

But, we have to hit the ground running, it is an absolute must. 

• Like 2

No.

And I’ll tell you why. Our failure has absolutely fûçk all to do with injuries. 

It’s got everything to do with him insisting on playing with a back 3 when we only had 1 fit CB at the club. Right up until January.

Signing loads of wingers in the summer and then not adopting a system to suit them. He’s got one way of playing and that’s it. 

New manager please. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

There is literally nothing to suggest Darren is the man. Nothing. 

Form from January is all good and well but a season starts in August. Letting him loose to start the season wastes another season.

Thanks for coming Darren, you have been great but we need better. 

Edited by Brad_owl
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our form since the start of November suggests Moore's good enough to get us promoted, yes. Once he'd had a bit of time to work with the squad, get to know the players, and develop our style of play, we were one of the best sides in the division.

If we can avoid the injury issues which plagued our season, keep the core of the squad together and add a few key reinforcements, there's no reason to think we couldn't go one step better next year.

1529832104_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.e7756c53375348a160c22ebba4bcc5e5.png

We got almost half of those wins in an eight game period where he couldn't play his team and tactics due to injuries.

Take those out and it's pl23 w12 d6 l5, which is 1.8 ppg, same as this year.

Guest Jack the Hat
33 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

NO.

Given we’ve been in top 2 form since November I’d say that’s a pretty clear indication that Moore does have it in him to get us promoted. If he was as bad as many are making out our form for the second half of the season would surely have been the same as the first half?
There will be some squad changes needed but not as much as last season. If we can make a good start next season and address how we play away so we maximise our chance of wins rather than the endless draws then I expect good things. 
For all the hysteria around right now we were 6 points short this year. We need an incremental improvement not a complete overhaul. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1