Is Moore good enough to get us promoted?

I honestly think he's done a remarkable job considering the dreadful situation he started with. I did not even expect playoffs at the end of last season.

That part of the job is done now and if we're not challenging for autos at Christmas I think we have to consider alternatives.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He deserves another go at it next season.Players seem to like him,some of them only came because of him apparently and what he was trying to do.

Like someone else has said take a look after 10 games,we have to be in or close to top 2 if not then questions need to be asked.

Another massive rebuild too,few players contracts are out.

Personally I like Moore can he get us promoted,yes...

Agree he needs to be more aggressive tho.

UTO

• Haha 1

Moore didn't get a performance out of the side over 2 legs which counts against him but think he deserves a chance to be manager start of next season.

We cant keep chopping and changing managers all the time.

But will need a good start otherwise a lot of fans will want a change.

Apart from the strange team selections at times and his inability to make substitutions that improves the situation in matches.

What concerns me the most about DM is he seems to get out thought by experienced managers such as Neil, Ainsworth and Robinson.

• Like 5

No... why because without his mistake wr would have got the points to finish top 2.

He took over hakfvyge season to get the team to gel. Half of them loans so next season could be half a team of new loans to help gel.

Never sorted the defence out. Last night one side was properly organised and motivated. That wasn't us! Despite all the cheating and time wasting they were managed far better.

When we did get IN the playoffs his tactics were to be gutless. You can't do that especially in the second leg  one nil down.

For me he COST US promotion so isn't good enough. If we repeated this season and end up in the playoffs again it would be the same out come. Poor tactics poor organisation No motivation. 

So why would you give him any more time.

Sunderland got in a manger who HAS won promotion and just like we looked under Bruce looked solid and assured. You felt they knew how to win. 

That will not happen under Moore. A load of different loans and we start again.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We got almost half of those wins in an eight game period where he couldn't play his team and tactics due to injuries.

Take those out and it's pl23 w12 d6 l5, which is 1.8 ppg, same as this year.

The eight games which started with the Ipswich match?

Storey and Dean made their debuts and Johnson was reinstated to the left flank, which made a major difference to our season. 

In what way was Moore not playing his tactics in those games, and what changed with the Lincoln game - why is that not part of the run you refer to, making it nine games?

Yes. The second half of the season suggests he is. 

Considering the injuries we had, bedding in period after a summer of wholesale recruitment, under financial restrictions we still only finished 5 or so points of automatics and lost out by the odd goal to Sunderland in the play offs.

• Haha 1

The problem for me is the upheaval last summer meant there were so many new faces and it took him so long to work out what he wanted to do and who he wanted to play. He recruited players to play a 4231, Wing, Bannan, Luongo, Byers vying out for the 2 central midfield positions and the number 10 role. He recruited Shodipo, Johnson, Theo, Sow to play as wingers, he only signed Gibson at centre back so was happy with Dunkley, Iorfa Hutch and Gibson been the options for 2 centre back positions which is fair enough. So all the recruitment for a formation that he ditches pretty quickly, goes to a 352 playing wingers at wing back, wingers at centre back, full backs at centre back. 

So we have another summer of new faces, how long does it take him to settle on a style and his best 11? Does it take him until January again to have to recruit more players to fit his new formation? Because lets be fair his recruitment didn't fit the eventual system, leading to horrific displays leading up to Christmas. The January saved him because it allowed him to finally add players to fit a style he was using without the players. 

43 minutes ago, Steelman said:

No.

And I’ll tell you why. Our failure has absolutely fûçk all to do with injuries. 

It’s got everything to do with him insisting on playing with a back 3 when we only had 1 fit CB at the club. Right up until January.

Signing loads of wingers in the summer and then not adopting a system to suit them. He’s got one way of playing and that’s it. 

New manager please. 

The whole winger situation was bizarre.

We signed Corbenau, Shodipo and Mendez Laing and played the majority of the season with wing backs.

• Like 3

Moore has as good a chance as any new manager would of getting us promoted next season. In fact with a year's worth of experience of the league and his players perhaps even better than most. What I find odd is that some people seem to think that Moore isn't responsible for getting the 85 points we did get but is absolutely responsible for every point we failed to get. The kind of bizarre thinking which leads to people genuinely posting that if you don't count some of our wins then his record is worse! 

I think the league will be more difficult next season with a good 10 teams thinking they will have a genuine shot at promotion and we need some better luck with injuries, a more settled side at the back and some younger players in the squad but I think that under Moore we will give it a good go again.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The eight games which started with the Ipswich match?

Storey and Dean made their debuts and Johnson was reinstated to the left flank, which made a major difference to our season. 

In what way was Moore not playing his tactics in those games, and what changed with the Lincoln game - why is that not part of the run you refer to, making it nine games?

Because Gregory was coming back so we started playing neshball again.

All the pressing and workrate that had won us the games previously was abandoned and we became the tippy tappy can't play v the press team that evweyone loves.

Just now, TheGreatNebber said:

Moore has as good a chance as any new manager would of getting us promoted next season. In fact with a year's worth of experience of the league and his players perhaps even better than most. What I find odd is that some people seem to think that Moore isn't responsible for getting the 85 points we did get but is absolutely responsible for every point we failed to get. The kind of bizarre thinking which leads to people genuinely posting that if you don't count some of our wins then his record is worse! 

I think the league will be more difficult next season with a good 10 teams thinking they will have a genuine shot at promotion and we need some better luck with injuries, a more settled side at the back and some younger players in the squad but I think that under Moore we will give it a good go again.  

Yep - we seem to have some fans who genuinely think that every point we've earned is in spite of Moore, and every point dropped is his fault.

Once that way of thinking takes root, you're always going to see the worst in him, aren't you?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

1 over head kick and 1 goal in the play-off semi final at home is all we had to get excited about.

Everything else over two legs was abysmal to watch - I'd be surprised if the players have any faith in him going forward if he sets us up like that. 

Playing not to lose - instead of playing to win cost us once again, thanks Darren. 

Agree.

He won’t change and he’ll not get a better chance of winning a league than this year.

So to answer the question…. no he isn’t 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Because Gregory was coming back so we started playing neshball again.

All the pressing and workrate that had won us the games previously was abandoned and we became the tippy tappy can't play v the press team that evweyone loves.

Gregory didn't start against Lincoln - we started the exact same team that we used against Charlton seven days earlier.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our form since the start of November suggests Moore's good enough to get us promoted, yes. Once he'd had a bit of time to work with the squad, get to know the players, and develop our style of play, we were one of the best sides in the division.

If we can avoid the injury issues which plagued our season, keep the core of the squad together and add a few key reinforcements, there's no reason to think we couldn't go one step better next year.

1529832104_Screenshot2022-05-10at10_13_15.png.e7756c53375348a160c22ebba4bcc5e5.png

58 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, our start to the season was stodgy.

It's not unheard of for squads who've undergone as much upheaval as we did to start slowly. When you couple that with the injury crisis we suffered, it's hardly surprising that we didn't fire on all cylinders for a while.

But I've seen enough since early November, and certainly since we signed some fit centre backs in the January transfer window, to think that we're good enough to get promoted from this league under Moore.

I don't see why we'd want to sack the manager who's got us averaging more than two points a game since the start of November in order to start again?

People will still find away to argue against his credentials to suit their agenda. 

Ok we lost in a semi final of the play offs. Which is a gamble anyway. A bit of dodgy defending in the away leg cost us dearly. 

but the second half of the season is enough to earn DM the chance to go again 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When’s his contract up? Is it now? Or is he signed off for next year?

No chance we should wait until Christmas, and what - give him another third to merge a new side together and not have a clue on how he wants to play? What a waste. 

Get someone in who can play a system and knows what he wants out the players from the off

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Gregory didn't start against Lincoln - we started the exact same team that we used against Charlton seven days earlier.

The tactics we use are built around Gregory. We can't play them without him. So when he's out we play a more forward pressing game, which we can't play with him.

We changed playstyle as he was coming back, even if only for the last half hour, as that's what we usually play.