Gregory's striker partner

Pondering whether Moore might go with Berahino or Paterson or even Mendez-Laing to partner Gregory tonight, I thought I’d look at our results and goals scored based on who Gregory’s partner has been.

Obviously some of the sample sizes are a bit small to read much into – I definitely wouldn’t advocate playing one up front even though we have a 100% record - but what it clearly confirms to me is that Berahino is a far better option than Paterson. Arguably Mendez-Laing and Kamberi are too considering we’ve had four wins and three draws from the seven games Gregory's played with them.

I've also put separately Gregory and Berahino's record since they were paired together again following their fitness issues over the winter, which is even more compelling.

greg1.PNG

greg2.PNG

Because I had no stats on Windass, as I don't think they've ever played as a front two together, I forgot all about him :duntmatter:

So let me rephrase it - I think Berahino, Mendez-Laing, Kamberi AND WINDASS are all better options than Paterson 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Because I had no stats on Windass, as I don't think they've ever played as a front two together, I forgot all about him :duntmatter:

So let me rephrase it - I think Berahino, Mendez-Laing, Kamberi AND WINDASS are all better options than Paterson 😁

Patti should play as well only a case of ‘when’ impact player, or no 10 like BB need to attack

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Berahino & Gregory for me. They seem to really click together up top. 

I worry Moore will try and go with NML, citing his pace as the reason for starting. 

if BB is out I can see him squeezing NML in somehow either up front, or RWB

dont agree but could see DM doing it 

we obviously lose attacking threat, creativity and dynamic in BB 

NML can provide an alternative dynamic that other BB potential replacements (FDB) do not , unless DM happy with draw 

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

I would never have NML up front.

Take a look at how few goals we scored when Gregory and NML are on the pitch up top together. (your figures flatter this pairing because we scored after NML went off)

For me the choice is Berahino, I think their playing styles suit each other well and if both are on their game is expect them to make the best of chances that are created. Just want a professional performance from whoever plays tonight.

1 hour ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

if BB is out I can see him squeezing NML in somehow either up front, or RWB

dont agree but could see DM doing it 

we obviously lose attacking threat, creativity and dynamic in BB 

NML can provide an alternative dynamic that other BB potential replacements (FDB) do not , unless DM happy with draw 

NML looks lost in any position through the middle. I can’t fathom him playing as a 10.