George Hirst

Getting back on to Hirst. I really wanted him to be rubbish after the way Leicester screwed us out of the transfer fee. But even when he played against us for Rotherham last year I thought he looked half decent. Tall, burst of pace, powerful shot. He caused us problems at Fratton Park (although is shooting was off) and again last weekend in a game where he didn't have much support.

If all the bridges haven't been burned, he would definitely be a more useful striker than 3 in our current squad I could name.

This would be utterly ridiculous, but if Leicester were to release him and we wanted to sign him, would we need to pay compensation as when an U-24 player leaves a club you normally have to?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Without the 10 set piece goals in 12 games since he came back, we'd have taken 16 points from 12 games.

You seriously think that'll rub in the Championship?

So, just to be clear: our 'set piece goals' are now discounted along with tap-ins, penalties and any sort of goal scored by the latest scapegoat.

That being the case it's a wonder we're not being relegated! We really are rubbish. What's the point of scoring all those goals knowing full well that they don't even count! Boo Wednesday!    Boo!    I said Booooo!

WTF:

PS

My wife heard me Boo-ing and when I'd explained she asked me: "How come these rules about goals only apply to Wednesday and not to other teams?" 🤔 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Key said:

So, just to be clear: our 'set piece goals' are now discounted along with tap-ins, penalties and any sort of goal scored by the latest scapegoat.

That being the case it's a wonder we're not being relegated! We really are rubbish. What's the point of scoring all those goals knowing full well that they don't even count! Boo Wednesday!    Boo!    I said Booooo!

WTF:

PS

My wife heard me Boo-ing and when I'd explained she asked me: "How come these rules about goals only apply to Wednesday and not to other teams?" 🤔 

They all count, but when discussing whether an attack will hack it in the league above, how we score matters.

Our primary attack has essentially been nullified by a number of teams, even through our 'best period', if the likes of Gillingham can do it, what will happen when next season when almost every team will be better than us?

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

They all count, but when discussing whether an attack will hack it in the league above, how we score matters.

Our primary attack has essentially been nullified by a number of teams, even through our 'best period', if the likes of Gillingham can do it, what will happen when next season when almost every team will be better than us?

I think you may have seen Moneyball one too many times. 

I also think your sample size when looking at Gregory is too small to really mean that much (other than he scores goals) and does not take into account who else was in the team and other factors.

It is harder to get promoted than it is to stay in the Championship. In 2005 and 2012 our team got worse the next season and still stayed up comfortably enough.

So I'm sure Gregory will still have a role to play next season, whichever league we're in. If we want to threaten the top half of the table though we would need a stable of at least 4-5 good strikers, preferably with a mix of different attributes.

• Like 1

Let's be honest.

If his surname wasn't 'Hirst', we would be looking at a still-youngish striker with an excellent record in youth football, who has done alright for one season in League 1.

If we signed him, most people (apart from Malek who would know everything about him) would be thinking 'yeah, quite an exciting signing, hopefully he can kick on, but also I hope we aren't relying on him to score most of our goals next year...'.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Yeah we won't sign any players or let any go in the summer.

It will be the exact same squad.

4 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Yeah we won't sign any players or let any go in the summer.

It will be the exact same squad.

The conversation was about whether Lee Gregory could hack it, our current main attacker.

17 minutes ago, BIG D said:

:ph34r:

I didn’t know about this

D1EADB37-1049-4539-8449-0CF0330596FA.jpeg.f8d16bf201cfbd730169cf9cb4396b86.jpeg

Was sent this from an old work colleague  & Rovers ST holder yesterday morning……… Don’t think they’re overly impressed!

Hirst sauntering up to take that penalty and then missing after that terrible performance still has me angry and annoyed, even after a night's sleep. I have no idea why we brought him in, we barely do crosses into the box as it is and he's poo with the ball at his feet. Would be glad to never see him or Gallagher in a Rovers shirt again!

I genuinely feel sorry for George a bit. 

Not as good as his Dad.

The grief he got when he left SWFC.

The painted on bravado when questioned about it. 

The lad just needs to find a long term club where can feel at home and score some goals. 

2 hours ago, Owls2k said:

I genuinely feel sorry for George a bit. 

Not as good as his Dad.

The grief he got when he left SWFC.

The painted on bravado when questioned about it. 

The lad just needs to find a long term club where can feel at home and score some goals. 

Would love him back at Hillsborough, he’s exactly the type of player we need !! #uto 

• Like 1