“Stop sacking managers. Let them build something”

12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It is entirely possible that sticking with Monk, Pulis or even Joss would have had a better outcome than we got from appointing Moore. It is also entirely possible that sticking with the above managers would have had a worse or indeed absolutely identical outcome. There is never ever any way of knowing. 

What I can say for certain is that we will struggle to get anyone decent to come and manage us for the foreseeable future (Redbull takeover notwithstanding). We might get lucky and appoint a player as a manager  who turns out to be a terrific manager but that doesn’t happen that often. 

We are in horrible shape as a club. 

Moore clearly has massive shortcomings as a manager. But I suspect he will be here until, the end of Feb at least and be given the chance to get us into the playoffs over the upcoming nine games. If he pulls it off he will save his job. If not he should and probably will get fired.

IMO. 

It couldn’t really have been a worse outcome. We got relegated and we’re 8th. A team with players like Bannan, Luongo, Windass etc in was never going to get relegated from league 1 no matter who the manager is.

We’d probably do better with no manager and leaving the players to decide for themselves that’s how bad it is

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

It couldn’t really have been a worse outcome. We got relegated and we’re 8th. A team with players like Bannan, Luongo, Windass etc in was never going to get relegated from league 1 no matter who the manager is.

We’d probably do better with no manager and leaving the players to decide for themselves that’s how bad it is

I suppose a worse outcome would have been a manager who could even assemble a squad. But on the second part I’ve thought the same myself a few times. Would having no manager and letting the team chose their own side and tactics be any worse? Quite possibly not. 

• Like 1

Putting it out there, I think DM would make a great Director of Football.
He hit the ground running with tying up youth contracts, his summer signings on paper were incredible considering our situation and reputation.

Players like him and he can attract the right people.

His clear flaws are game management & tactical nous. We need a manager who can adapt and have that vision, especially in this league. DM is oddly a level above that and probably far more suited to the bigger picture role. 

3 minutes ago, BowOwl said:

Putting it out there, I think DM would make a great Director of Football.
He hit the ground running with tying up youth contracts, his summer signings on paper were incredible considering our situation and reputation.

Players like him and he can attract the right people.

His clear flaws are game management & tactical nous. We need a manager who can adapt and have that vision, especially in this league. DM is oddly a level above that and probably far more suited to the bigger picture role. 

Interesting idea.

Would the players want to sign for us if Moore were in an office rather than on the training ground with them, though?

Perhaps a Stuart Gray-style assistant to offer some advice might work, instead?

27 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Of course they delivered they were given time to ...  took Ainsworth 5 years to get wycombe out of league 2.....warne after 5 years as rovrum in a lower position than when he took over  but they still back him  .....we dont as soon we hit a slippery  slope its bin the manager and get in another poor sap.

Warne reached the L1 play offs in 2017 & Rotherham were L1 runners up in 2018...after being appointed caretaker manager in 2016....not 5 Years at all,Ainsworth much respected player with history with the Club...Yes he did get 5 Years  but where were they going to get better?.their financial woes are a matter of record during his period..

43 minutes ago, parajack said:

Why always choose an example of failure to compare and contrast with DM? what if we had made a bid for Warne? instead of DM? paid compo to Rotherham instead of Donny and allowed Warne to continue his relationship with Wing at SWFC?

Just as valid a comparison i believe as the one with Cook...

DM was the one to bring in a play it out systym to a struggling team,defenders low on confidence,in a team where many knew they would be leaving at the end of the season.

He had a full pre season still wanting this systym,and kicked off using a lone striker,leading to us drawing too many games in my view.

Start the game with a winning team,fair enough,cant argue with that,but what possible reason could you have for not bringing on a 6-2 CB when its 2-2?

People are giving DM way more slack than GM and i dont get it....should be held to account for his poor decision making,Mon had no back room team,had to deal with alleged players disruption,Covid 19 lay offs,players refusing to sign temporary extensions ,players leaving,injurys  but was given pelters on here...

I probably compare to failures because most managers fail here. It's what I've come to expect. That's why I can see the appeal of giving managers more time, even if we're not getting the results we want right now. We could have gone for Paul Warne like you say, but who's to say it would work out for him here. He HAS been given time at Rotherham.

I don't think Gary Monk had much of an opportunity to turn it round either to be fair. Probably the same people saying give a manager time were probably saying the same when Monk was here. No, I didn't like him freezing out players and no I didn't think the football was great and no I'm not a Gary Monk fan. Yes he inherited a team in a better league position but it was still a squad in decline full of crocks. He also had his hands tied in the transfer market.

Is DM getting the best out of this squad, undeniably the answer is no. This squad ought to have been chasing automatic promotion not hanging on to the coat tails of the last play-off placed teams. Will he be the man for the job if Luongo, Windass and others leave and the budget is probably cut, I don't think so. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Is DM getting the best out of this squad, undeniably the answer is no. This squad ought to have been chasing automatic promotion not hanging on to the coat tails of the last play-off placed teams. Will he be the man for the job if Luongo, Windass and others leave and the budget is probably cut, I don't think so. 

He isnt getting this squad to fulfil their potential and my own personal frustration over that,is knowing the season could still reach a decent conclusion if we got into the play offs,and i honestly dont think we will under DM...but might say,even under Thommo  as care taker

• Like 1

Who's the last manager we had that should've been given more time?

Its not just about Moore. Wednesday fans just want blood all the time if things don't go our way. Carvahal case and point. I was a firmly against his sacking at the time but got branded as a happy clapper. Some fans are insatiable.

But yeah for the record, Moore out.

Chansiri has sacked a few managers in his short and deeply unsuccessful time as a club owner. It doesn’t seem to be working.

Maybe we could see how a full season goes and a summer transfer window with money to spend?

Tony Mowbray was appointed Blackburn manager in 2017 and they were relegated to League One. It’s taken 5 years to get to the top of the Championship.

We need to build and to stop thinking we are real contenders after one fantasy trip to Wembley 6 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 16:11, Kopparberg said:

Does this sentence work ?

Or should a club sack a manager when it sees fit ? 

The sentence is structurally sound... I'm not sure how that relates to the question about sacking managers when they see fit?

Get a grip... open your eyes and stop this rubbish. Look what that handsome vhaps done at Forest! The fact is Monk fell out with the players and NEVER took real responsibility,  Pulis was dinosaur who thought everyone sitting on our goal line would keep us up.... and Moore is not getting the basics right!!! None where/are good enough. Its really not that difficult to see that.... Monk was only any good when Fletchers form ment we were punching above our weight once his goal streak stopped we were done. Monk had no answer. Pulis would have took us down with bore draws and Moore can't inspire or teach how to defend in a really really poor league. It's time to move on because nothing is changing. Burying you head in the sand isn't working is it! 

Our problem is we lack ambition and put up with crap year in year out. You can't improve something in they can't even get the basics right! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Warne reached the L1 play offs in 2017 & Rotherham were L1 runners up in 2018...after being appointed caretaker manager in 2016....not 5 Years at all,Ainsworth much respected player with history with the Club...Yes he did get 5 Years  but where were they going to get better?.their financial woes are a matter of record during his period..

Do read what I put ?....when warne took over they were in the championship they are now in league 1 ,that to me seems after 5 years they are no better off .they stuck with him despite 2 relegations as he's  a good manager . I very much doubt we would do the same ...  as for Ainsworth I would guess there financial  woes were minuscule compared ours .....leaving them aside it's crazy to keep changing managers since 2000 we've  had 17 and what have we achieved ...feck all  .how can you be succesful and build something with each new manager having a different view on the players he inherits  .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Do read what I put ?....when warne took over they were in the championship they are now in league 1 ,that to me seems after 5 years they are no better off .they stuck with him despite 2 relegations as he's  a good manager . I very much doubt we would do the same ...  as for Ainsworth I would guess there financial  woes were minuscule compared ours .....leaving them aside it's crazy to keep changing managers since 2000 we've  had 17 and what have we achieved ...feck all  .how can you be succesful and build something with each new manager having a different view on the players he inherits  .

Warne was a fitness coach and was placed in a caretaker manager role after Jackett scarpered...Rotherham were always going to struggle,and i dont think PW can be held responsible for that... What did he do the next season? PROMOTED at the first attempt.....Didnt take PW 5 Years to get any success with Rotherham,far from it,and his Chairman,Board ,and most reasonable people can see he has done a great job,on a very low financial threshold.

Rotherham have been described as a 'yo yo' Club,so yes they have been relegated 3 times,unable to remain a Championship Club,but they have also under PW gone back up twice,and if they do so this Year will have done so 3 times in 6 Years.

2 Seasons of Championship football for a Club like Rotherham despite subsequent relegations is a significant success.and should not be seen a failure on Warnes part.

I for one dont want SWFC  to become Rotherham mark 2.....

So many people are using the owner as a standard go-to scapegoat for everything that’s wrong ,  whilst I totally agree this is due to the position he’s put himself in ,  I feel strongly that people are overseeing how poor this manager is due to Chansiri been the automatic fall guy 

This manager makes his own transfer decisions, yes there’s restrictions because of the owner , yes it’s not ideal , but there is and continues to be a good amount of support from the owner to the manager and I’m a bit lost as to why people cannot see this 

Danny Batth would’ve come here if more than a years deal was on the table,  im

not gonna claim I 100% know this was DM’s decision because I don’t !   But I strongly suspect it was when I look

at his clear preference for signing young untried players 

You don’t go from Danny Batth to and arsenal kid, and a QPR reserve who’s probably not even better than one of our own young centre half’s who he refuses to play 

Suggestions no manager would be anymore successful than wing back obsessed Moore, because of Chansiri , is far fetched at best !     This squad is hugely underachieving thanks in the most part to horrendous management 

14 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Bruce was sold a pup ...

Bruce came for the £££ and left immediately when someone offered him

more

End of