“Stop sacking managers. Let them build something”

I can't judge if Moore is a good or bad manager. I never worked in the football business myself, I don't know DM and I don't have any insider information about his work on the training ground or in the dressing room.

However, I know that changing managers is not as easy as many here seem to believe. It costs time and money and we have neither of it.

We are in the middle of the season and we cannot afford to waste time to get the team settled under a new manager.

If we were ManU or Chelsea, who can choose whoever they want, then it might be easier, but no worldclass-manager will just leave his job to join us - especially as everybody knows by now that our managers don't last long here.

Yes - STOP sacking managers. Give them time!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We are 3 points off the playoffs if we win our game in hand.

We may be underperfoming but I'd hardly say he's out of his depth. 

We are probably about 4 or 5 points behind where I thought we might be at this stage of the season.

Not ideal perhaps but also not evidence that he's an awful manager.

He is,

With this squad.we should be flying

He cannot change thi gs,no plan b,

Clueless,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Why didn’t you think we would be in the top 6 at this stage of the season though with the wage bill and squad we have? We got more points than Rotherham and Wycombe last season, they have the same sides as then and we strengthened in the summer as we released only dead wood and signed 16 new players, yet we find ourselves 13 and 12 points behind them respectively. This is the definition of underachieving  

Hard to argue that we strengthened. We lost Westwood, Lees, Reach. They are significantly better than their replacements (BPF, Gibson, Shodipo). In DMs seemingly preferred formation of 3-5-2, Urhoghide would have provided far more than Johnson as a 3rd CB. I know people are angry about the way he left but Shaw performed better last season than Adeniran has at any stage this season. 

We even miss some of the “scapegoats”.  Odubajo is playing well in the Championship; Hunt is not an upgrade.  Pelupessy would’ve provided better cover in Luongo’s absence than Byers 

You do have a point up front where we look stronger, except for the wretched Berahino who was a terrible signing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Why didn’t you think we would be in the top 6 at this stage of the season though with the wage bill and squad we have? We got more points than Rotherham and Wycombe last season, they have the same sides as then and we strengthened in the summer as we released only dead wood and signed 16 new players, yet we find ourselves 13 and 12 points behind them respectively. This is the definition of underachieving  

Have a massive EXACTAMONDO on me

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Hard to argue that we strengthened. We lost Westwood, Lees, Reach. They are significantly better than their replacements (BPF, Gibson, Shodipo). In DMs seemingly preferred formation of 3-5-2, Urhoghide would have provided far more than Johnson as a 3rd CB. I know people are angry about the way he left but Shaw performed better last season than Adeniran has at any stage this season. 

We even miss some of the “scapegoats”.  Odubajo is playing well in the Championship; Hunt is not an upgrade.  Pelupessy would’ve provided better cover in Luongo’s absence than Byers 

You do have a point up front where we look stronger, except for the wretched Berahino who was a terrible signing. 

I think we’re stronger.. Westwood wasn’t great last season and we’ve replaced him with an international keeper who’s been inconsistent, great sometimes and poor others. It’s about the same as KW was.

Lees yeah would have liked to keep him. Reach did nothing here for ages, he has more talent than the current wingers but that’s useless if he was going to stroll around doing nothing with it.

Rhodes was a busted flush, not done anything at Huddersfield either. Odubajo was awful for us. Shaw was a liability most of the time, sending offs in key games. Urgohide isn’t better than Iorfa who we’ve had this season at times.

Basically we don’t miss any of the players who’ve gone. We have a better squad than last season but have fallen even further behind teams we were better than last season. 

I think the point in giving a manager time is giving them time when it’s not going well. It’d be easy if everything was running smooth and we was top of the league to say ‘I want to give this manager time.’ I’d keep Moore for two reasons. Firstly the club is a mess, every aspect of it is. We need stability. We need someone to try and guide the club in the right direction in some sense, even if that person isn’t perfect. I didn’t like Monk but I think we’d be in a better position now if we’d have kept him because chopping and changing clearly did us no good. We’ve been like a rudderless ship since Carlos left. Secondly I don’t think we’d get any better, the worst thing a club like us can do, that are struggling financially, is to jump from one average manager to the next. All playing with different styles. All wanting to ‘start again.’ The chances of pulling off a ‘Wilder’ and getting a manager that rejuvenates the club out of nowhere are slim. I think Moores an average manager for this level. I think giving an average manager 2 full seasons is more likely to lead to success than 2 average managers in 2 seasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Does this sentence work ?

Or should a club sack a manager when it sees fit ? 

Would you have a blind man who cannot drive, driving your kids to school every day. I hope you answer is no.

so simply when you have the wrong person in a key position, giving him time only give more time to slide the team further and further away from any chance of top 6.

at Christmas we were 10 points behind top 2 and 6 off the play offs, 2 games later no ground made up on play offs, but 14 off the top 2. 

we have 20 games left realistically we are going to need to win 12 of those 20 to make the top 6. It's just not going to happen under DM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GermanBird said:

why not??? 

He’s won 7 out of the last 22, so what’s going to make us win 12 from the next 20. The formations and selections are poor. There’s no point being optimistic because then it will come as a surprise when we finish 9th or something under him

2 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

He’s won 7 out of the last 22, so what’s going to make us win 12 from the next 20. The formations and selections are poor. There’s no point being optimistic because then it will come as a surprise when we finish 9th or something under him

Up to now we had the following issues, which are now starting to get solved:

many new players, who had to gel; long term injuried and short term injuries, which forced us to play a different lineup every week;  covid cases; training gaps because of covid; suspension of our best player and we still managed to win 7 out of 22.  Why do you doubt that we can win 12 out of 20 after these problems have (hopefully) been solved?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S1Owl said:

Moore is pigheaded, won't admit his 3 at the back ain't working but persists with it having said it's how he wants his teams to play. He'll never admit to it being wrong. 

Even Antonio Conte plays 4 at the back when he thinks it suits & that's more often than not, even with the attacking players at his disposal. 

Moore’s always said he wants to play 4 at the back, and even when we were unbeaten he said ideally he wants to get back to a 4.

And that was first time Conte has started with a back 4 in a league game for something like 3 years. 

Why do people feel the need to make things up?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I can't judge if Moore is a good or bad manager. I never worked in the football business myself, I don't know DM and I don't have any insider information about his work on the training ground or in the dressing room.

However, I know that changing managers is not as easy as many here seem to believe. It costs time and money and we have neither of it.

We are in the middle of the season and we cannot afford to waste time to get the team settled under a new manager.

If we were ManU or Chelsea, who can choose whoever they want, then it might be easier, but no worldclass-manager will just leave his job to join us - especially as everybody knows by now that our managers don't last long here.

Yes - STOP sacking managers. Give them time!

If you asked that question 25/30 years ago, then yes there’s is some truth in what you’ve just said.But as we live in a age of instant success demanded by both impatient owners and supporters,The days of managers being given time to build a competitive team are very rare in this day and age.

9 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Up to now we had the following issues, which are now starting to get solved:

many new players, who had to gel; long term injuried and short term injuries, which forced us to play a different lineup every week;  covid cases; training gaps because of covid; suspension of our best player and we still managed to win 7 out of 22.  Why do you doubt that we can win 12 out of 20 after these problems have (hopefully) been solved?

Because it’s literally double the win percentage so far that’s required. And I think we will still have to work around injuries and covid for the rest of the season as well. We aren’t talking about a small improvement in consistency needed, need a night and day change 

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Because it’s literally double the win percentage so far that’s required. And I think we will still have to work around injuries and covid for the rest of the season as well. We aren’t talking about a small improvement in consistency needed, need a night and day change 

I am confident that we will see that!

February will be our month - beginning with the Ipswich game (end of Jan)

💙UTO 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BRUCE LEE said:

A fans opinion on the managerial decision to swap out Johnson for a CB isn’t important 

The fan isn’t paid to get results 

We need to play our best 11, and Marvin Johnson at CB doesn’t even come close 

Really? How do you know? We are very short at centre back and particularly left sided ones. 

Johnson did well last week and deserved to keep his place. 

Here's Oxford's first full season under Karl Robinson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Oxford_United_F.C._season

On 19 Feb 2019, they were 22nd with 33 points from 33 games. The highest they'd been all season was 18th. If that had been us, loads of people would have wanted him sacked at least some point during those 33 games. They went on to take 27 from the last 13 and finished 12th. The next season, they finished 4th and lost in the play-off final.

Here's their 2020-21 season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Oxford_United_F.C._season

As we can see, they started badly. Had that been us, there would have been grumbling in early December. Lots of grumbling. But he turned it around and got them to the play-offs again.

So it can happen - and I imagine it probably happens more than we think.

• Haha 1