• Bannan
    • Gregory
    • Sow
    • Mendez-Laing
    • Windass
    • Brown
    • Paterson

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Pretty meaningless if the vast majority of them don't trouble the goalkeeper.

We haven't scored many away all season and  have relied on stopping the opposites scoring to win games.

We have failed to keep a clean sheet in 13 away games and won only 2 of those.

It’s not meaningless though is it.

Are you saying having 14 shots isn’t a more positive sign that having 3, irrespective of how many were in target

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wish BPF would catch/punch crosses away , even if he takes out our defenders /their attackers in the process . He cant rely on the rest of our players to get a head to the ball and we cant seem to do that up front either .

Luongo M o M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having woken up this morning, I’m still fuming. Some of our players are spineless and Moore is awful. Overall, that was a decent away performance and should have heralded three points.

BPF 6 poor on first goal. One decent save 

Hunt 7 is a threat but his finishing is woeful 

Palmer 7 did ok. one vital block

Hutchinson 7 solid. I really like him at cb

Johnson 4 he’s not a cb. He’s actually crap at it. His defending for the first goal is pathetic 

Mendez-Laing 5 nothing came off today. I’d start him in home games and Johnson in the away one at lwb

Luongo 8 MOM outstanding, especially in the first half. Didn’t deserve to lose

Bannan 7 excellent finish. Gave the ball away more than usual today

FDB 5 games passed him by…AGAIN 

Sow 5 poor 

Gregory 6 played well but awful finishing loses him two points 

Windass 8 outstanding goal. We’d be top two if he’d been fit all season 

Paterson 6 put himself about. Almost scored at the death

Brown 1 where do I start? He’s abysmal. His only contributions were….

1. Getting megged

2. Comically missing a sitter. Look at Bannan’s reaction. He couldn’t believe it

3. Being comically out of position ALL THE TIME!

4. Not following his runner for their goal

The worst full back we’ve had in the last fifteen years. Never want to see him in a Wednesday shirt again

Moore 3 poor. He should have started Storey and Windass. All this BS about never changing a winning team is nonsense. Oxford are a decent side so we needed a proper cb in. What does he do? Play Johnson out of position and then bring on the hapless Brown. Why not Storey with Johnson moving to lwb?

Also, he should have started Windass. He’s scoring goals for fun. Yes Sow scored last week but he’s not fit to clean Windass’ jockstrap. These tough decisions would have been made by a decent manager and I believe we would have won.

MOORE OUT!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Just me who thinks our shape is all wrong. Don’t wanna have another pop at Moore but we play one up top to accommodate 3 in the middle of the park early season and we’re not threatening enough.

We change to three at the back for the same reason and we’re all over the place at the back.

JUST PLAY 442 but play narrow having Bannan on the left with the ability to drift. We have the players for it. 

33 year old Bannan on the wing…good one!

4 hours ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Got laughed at last week for saying Dele-Bashiru was poor.......................was even worse this week , somebody tell me what he brings to the table please.

Young developing players tend to be inconsistent.

Everyone keeps saying we don't play enough young players then complain when we do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peacock-Farrell 6 ; Not commanding at all today then again defence in front of him shocking

Johnson 4 ; Fault for 1st goal but not blaming him totally being played out of position
Hutchinson 6 ; Can’t cover central defence in his own. 

Palmer 6 ; Stready but not a CB

NML 6 ; Isolated and wasted wide on the left. Way too right footed. Needs to play further forward on the right where he can damage opposition.

Bannan 7.5 ; Great 1st half, disappeared for the 2nd - extra point for the great finish

Luongo 7.5 ; Great again bug overrun in midfield with Dele so poor

Dele 3 ;  He didn’t turn up today. Lacked effort, and just watched their runners without tracking or sticking close. Worst I’ve seen from him.

Hunt 8 ; MOM for me - driving runs in first half - looked dangerous when we had more of the ball. Tired late in 2nd half.

Gregory 6.5 ; Worked hard, linked play but missing chances.

Sow 5; Had the odd good burst but overall not involved enough and poor.

Windass 7.5 ; Time he should be starting especially in todays 6-pointer.

Brown 1 ; Not his fault he was brought on but WHY ??? Garbage decision.

• Like 1

I've started another thread to say what the Oxford commentators thought of our performance, so won't repeat it all, but by and large (80-90%) I reckon that was an excellent, dominating performance that few teams in this division can match. We played with a swagger in the first half, energy and intensity all over the pitch, scored two absolutely gorgeous team goals and cut through a decent Oxford team at will. Of course, we still lost!

There was an element of bad luck in that - an obvious penalty denied, Oxford's second was the result of a lucky deflection, but the 10% where we come up short - and not for the first time - slack marking from corners, Johnson losing a winnable aerial duel, Brown and Paterson missing golden chances near the end - that was just bad, sloppy football or not being able to take control of the key moments.

But I'm not going to hammer the players today, as most of them played damn well - the same performance another day and we could easily have been 3-0 up after 40 mins and strolling. It is just that our weak links are particularly weak. Hopefully Storey can remove one of those weak links, with Johnson reverting to LWB (Palmer at LCB? Not sure if Storey slots in on right or centre, but Hutchinson can play either) and Brown reverting to the reserves.

Peacock-Farrell: 6.5 - Not sure he could do much about any of the goals. A decent game with the ball at his feet.

Palmer: 7 - Don't think he was at fault for any of the goals, generally read and snuffed out attacks well.

Hutchinson: 7 - Composed on the ball, blocked and cleared well

Johnson: 5 - That experience from Taylor to nudge him out of the way on the cross for the first. But an experienced defender wouldn't allow themselves to be beaten so easily. Shame, as attacking wise he was excellent, but I think it is time to retire him from that position, especially away from home.

Hunt: 8 - Lots of driving runs, involved in loads of attacks, should have had a penalty and cleared one off the line.

Mendez-Laing: 6 - A quieter game from him today.

Luongo: 8.5 - MoM. Didn't deserve to be on the losing team, 7 tackles, hunted down the ball brilliantly, kept popping up in attack, another assist. Sounds ridiculous to say after a 3-2 defeat, but honestly think he's one of the best players in the league when he's fit.

Bannan: 8 - Sublime goal, and should have had an assist as well near the end. A few passes went astray, but his usual work rate was there.

Dele-Bashiru: 7 - A couple of frustrating things like silly fouls when he had the opponents under pressure, but generally I thought he harried and pressured their midfield effectively.

Sow: 5 - Only touched the ball 13 times, I think he's a luxury player who would be better suited to games at Hillsboro.

Gregory: 7.5 - Excellent link-up play, involved in both the goals and generally a menace. Hasn't scored in a while though, which is a slight concern.

Windass: 8 - Quality finish for the goal. I would have started him - surely he has to start against Ipswich?

Brown: 3 - Don't want to sound like a hate campaign, but he should be nowhere near the first-team squad. Missed wonderful chance at 2-2, completely lost Winnall for the third goal, was nutmegged in the bog and generally looked lost.

Paterson: 6.5 - Won several headers at the end as an effective Plan B. But my word, after getting up so well he should have buried that chance in the 95th minute.

Edited by Emerson Thome
formatting
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Overall I thought we played fairly well but like last week missed a lot of chances.

We are really missing Dunkley who was so commanding at the back.

I thought we should have changed system slightly when they started finding loads of space between our midfield and defence. Once again Moore was outthought by a journeyman manager.

BPF                  5.5

Palmer.          5

Hutchinson   5

Johnson.       4.5

Hunt.              6

Fizz.               5

Bannan.         7

Luongo         7.5.  MoM

NML.              5

Gregory.         6

Sow.               4.5

Peacock- Farrell - 6 - He's ended up conceding three goals, so his mark can't be high, but not sure he could've done anything with any goal. Unlucky for the 2nd goal, after a smart save to deny Taylor initially. Couple of decent, but expected saves. Otherwise, a quiet game.

Palmer - 6 - Did alright. Seemed to go about his job effectively enough. He looks settled in the role, and it does seem to suit him. If I'm been critical, could he go about to stop the effort in the lead up for the 2nd goal better? Seems to back off, turn his back. He's nesh, we know that...but maybe I'm been super harsh.

Hutchinson - 6 - Again, did alright, but I don't feel as comfortable with him in that central position as I did with Dunkley. Dunkley is physical and dominant...Hutchinson tries to be a bit cuter, but I always felt Taylor had the potential to cause him issues.

Johnson - 5 - Directly at fault for the 1st goal. His lack of experience in that position was the killer. Too weak, and unaware of the dangers behind him. That said, other than that mistake, I thought he did alright (like the rest of the defence). His threat going forwards is the only reason to keep with this formation. If we drop Johnson from LCB, then I think we need to switch to a back 4, otherwise we'd lose the advantage the 3 at the back system produces.

Hunt - 7 - Another good game. He was a threat. Involved in both goals, looking to cut inside and play balls into the box. Had an absolute stonewall penalty turned down also.

Mendez-Laing - 6 - Had a decent 1st half, and caused Oxford problems, although his final ball often let him down. Quieter in the 2nd half.

Luongo - 8 - He's brilliant, isn't he? An assist, so many brilliant tackles. He just contributes so much. I said it last week, but this midfield trio is as good as we've had for a while. It's got a great balance to it, and Luongo's complete skill set is crucial within it.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - Another strong, dominant display. I love watching him. The way he glides and bulldozes in equality is brilliant to watch. Really compliments Bannan & Luongo. If we stick with these three for the rest of the season, and build the rest of the side around them, there's no reason we can't go close.

Bannan - 8 - Man of the Match - He was in the mood yesterday. Great finish for the goal, but he was busy, tenacious and involved in everything good that we did.

Gregory - 7 - Very good centre forward display. Ran the lines superbly, and didn't give Oxford's back line a minute. Great interplay for the 1st goal, and a brilliant little assist for Windass'. His performance deserved a goal.

Sow - 5 - Struggled to get into the game. Couple of decent runs in the 1st half, and he does give us an outlet down the line. But, you just feel like its a matter of time for Windass takes his place.

Brown - 5 - Not a great cameo for t'old Jaden. Missed an absolute sitter, and then lost Winall for the deciding goal. 

Overall...

Reading this thread, and I think it just shows the reactionary nature of Wednesday fans. 2's and 3's...really? We went to Oxford, a side that have the 3rd best home record in the division, and outplayed, and outfought them for the vast majority of the game. Now, that doesn't discount our blatant flaws, nor does it excuse our consistent ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But, there was a lot to like about aspects of our play today.

All season, we've had posters and threads bemoaning our lack of attacking intent, and how we'd rather see us having a go and losing 3-2, than continue boring the pants off us and stumbling away with draws and narrow wins.

Well yesterday, we were positive, played on the front foot, and pressed high and bravely up against Oxford. In that 1st half, Oxford looked hopeless. And that was as a direct consequence of Wednesday's mindset and performance.

That midfield trio is working brilliantly, and the scores for Dele-Bashiru, in my opinion, are laughable. He's clearly the latest scapegoat for Wednesdayite's...although Jaden Brown might have a "Hold my Beer" moment.

The dilemma Moore has, is how do we eradicate these ridiculous lapses in concentration. And, does he revert to a more traditional system, and ditch the three at the back with Johnson as a pseudo-centre half/wing back?

Yesterday I was gutted at full time. Of course, I was angry at throwing away three points, and the fact we deserved so much more from the game. BUT, if we continue to attack games with the mindset we've seen in the last two games, I'm convinced we'll fair far better than we would if we revert back to the cautious, sideways passing, cagey style of play we saw early on in the season.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Just now, frastheowl said:

Peacock- Farrell - 6 - He's ended up conceding three goals, so his mark can't be high, but not sure he could've done anything with any goal. Unlucky for the 2nd goal, after a smart save to deny Taylor initially. Couple of decent, but expected saves. Otherwise, a quiet game.

Palmer - 6 - Did alright. Seemed to go about his job effectively enough. He looks settled in the role, and it does seem to suit him. If I'm been critical, could he go about to stop the effort in the lead up for the 2nd goal better? Seems to back off, turn his back. He's nesh, we know that...but maybe I'm been super harsh.

Hutchinson - 6 - Again, did alright, but I don't feel as comfortable with him in that central position as I did with Dunkley. Dunkley is physical and dominant...Hutchinson tries to be a bit cuter, but I always felt Taylor had the potential to cause him issues.

Johnson - 5 - Directly at fault for the 1st goal. His lack of experience in that position was the killer. Too weak, and unaware of the dangers behind him. That said, other than that mistake, I thought he did alright (like the rest of the defence). His threat going forwards is the only reason to keep with this formation. If we drop Johnson from LCB, then I think we need to switch to a back 4, otherwise we'd lose the advantage the 3 at the back system produces.

Hunt - 7 - Another good game. He was a threat. Involved in both goals, looking to cut inside and play balls into the box. Had an absolute stonewall penalty turned down also.

Mendez-Laing - 6 - Had a decent 1st half, and caused Oxford problems, although his final ball often let him down. Quieter in the 2nd half.

Luongo - 8 - He's brilliant, isn't he? An assist, so many brilliant tackles. He just contributes so much. I said it last week, but this midfield trio is as good as we've had for a while. It's got a great balance to it, and Luongo's complete skill set is crucial within it.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - Another strong, dominant display. I love watching him. The way he glides and bulldozes in equality is brilliant to watch. Really compliments Bannan & Luongo. If we stick with these three for the rest of the season, and build the rest of the side around them, there's no reason we can't go close.

Bannan - 8 - Man of the Match - He was in the mood yesterday. Great finish for the goal, but he was busy, tenacious and involved in everything good that we did.

Gregory - 7 - Very good centre forward display. Ran the lines superbly, and didn't give Oxford's back line a minute. Great interplay for the 1st goal, and a brilliant little assist for Windass'. His performance deserved a goal.

Sow - 5 - Struggled to get into the game. Couple of decent runs in the 1st half, and he does give us an outlet down the line. But, you just feel like its a matter of time for Windass takes his place.

Brown - 5 - Not a great cameo for t'old Jaden. Missed an absolute sitter, and then lost Winall for the deciding goal. 

Overall...

Reading this thread, and I think it just shows the reactionary nature of Wednesday fans. 2's and 3's...really? We went to Oxford, a side that have the 3rd best home record in the division, and outplayed, and outfought them for the vast majority of the game. Now, that doesn't discount our blatant flaws, nor does it excuse our consistent ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But, there was a lot to like about aspects of our play today.

All season, we've had posters and threads bemoaning our lack of attacking intent, and how we'd rather see us having a go and losing 3-2, than continue boring the pants off us and stumbling away with draws and narrow wins.

Well yesterday, we were positive, played on the front foot, and pressed high and bravely up against Oxford. In that 1st half, Oxford looked hopeless. And that was as a direct consequence of Wednesday's mindset and performance.

That midfield trio is working brilliantly, and the scores for Dele-Bashiru, in my opinion, are laughable. He's clearly the latest scapegoat for Wednesdayite's...although Jaden Brown might have a "Hold my Beer" moment.

The dilemma Moore has, is how do we eradicate these ridiculous lapses in concentration. And, does he revert to a more traditional system, and ditch the three at the back with Johnson as a pseudo-centre half/wing back?

Yesterday I was gutted at full time. Of course, I was angry at throwing away three points, and the fact we deserved so much more from the game. BUT, if we continue to attack games with the mindset we've seen in the last two games, I'm convinced we'll fair far better than we would if we revert back to the cautious, sideways passing, cagey style of play we saw early on in the season.

Forget Windass...

Windass - 7 - Took his goal fantastically well. If he plays, and keeps fit, he could easily end up with over 10 goals this season. I suspect we'll see him starting games very soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Left of a four man midfield playing narrow yeah - his best position 

It really isn’t. It WAS his best position SIX years ago. The last time we played there was under our last decent manager, Steve Bruce. Bruce admitted after the game that it was a complete mistake. Stop living in the past!!

• Haha 1