• Gregory
    • Sow
    • Mendez-Laing
    • Windass
    • Brown
    • Paterson

15 hours ago, Ian said:

Some massive over reaction going on.

we weren’t far off as good today as we were last week.

14 shots away to a top 6 side isn’t a shambles…..9/10 playing like that we win……today was the other 1

I thought we did well first half. Oxford couldn't handle us at all, we should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. They switched to 352 to match us and came back into it. Bad defending and poor finishing cost us the game.

Second half they did get on top, Windass got a class goal for us but when Brown came on we lost all shape and cohesion.  He might make a player one day but at the moment he's a liability.

Luongo was clearly MOM, Bannan never quite got the range for his passes and even scoring one of his rare goals can't hide the fact that he turned over possession too much.

Second half they stopped us playing out from the back, our CB's and WB's stand still waiting for the ball, Oxford covered them with a player near each so we went for the big boot upfield. Meat and gravy to their defenders, they won every ball and they brought it straight back at us. If the defenders are better in the air than us we have to find a way to play it out, either the back line has to move around to create angles to receive the ball or midfielders need to drop back to receive it, if their midfield follow them then that opens space behind so we can kick long into space.

We don't have the ability to think on our feet and adapt. If it's not working then change it. Their manager did, ours didn't. If you keep repeating the same thing you keep getting the same result.

Our attack isn't clinical enough, our midfield isn't mobile enough and our defence doesn't have any defenders.

It's going to be a long season.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Young developing players tend to be inconsistent.

Everyone keeps saying we don't play enough young players then complain when we do.

I like FDB, he's strong, quick and can go past people. Having said that he gets a rush of blood to the head when he's near to goal, his decision making is poor and he drifts in and out of games.

I'd be tempted to play him against poorer teams and leave him out against top teams. He will come good eventually but he needs time.

I know he didn't play yesterday but I'm not sure what to make of Adeniron, he looked remarkably good in his first few games but he's looked poor since then.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Reading this thread, and I think it just shows the reactionary nature of Wednesday fans. 2's and 3's...really? We went to Oxford, a side that have the 3rd best home record in the division, and outplayed, and outfought them for the vast majority of the game. Now, that doesn't discount our blatant flaws, nor does it excuse our consistent ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But, there was a lot to like about aspects of our play today.

All season, we've had posters and threads bemoaning our lack of attacking intent, and how we'd rather see us having a go and losing 3-2, than continue boring the pants off us and stumbling away with draws and narrow wins.

Well yesterday, we were positive, played on the front foot, and pressed high and bravely up against Oxford. In that 1st half, Oxford looked hopeless. And that was as a direct consequence of Wednesday's mindset and performance. 

That midfield trio is working brilliantly, and the scores for Dele-Bashiru, in my opinion, are laughable. He's clearly the latest scapegoat for Wednesdayite's...although Jaden Brown might have a "Hold my Beer" moment.

I think my marks definitely benefitted for going for a nice meal after the match, having a couple of drinks and generally trying not to think about Wednesday for a few hours. This got some of the rage out of my system!

I think these marks are a mix of how well someone plays and how the performance makes us fans feel. So people are entitled to give 2's and 3's (they all go in the averages!), but I agree that this week will come out far too harsh on Dele-Bashiru. 

• Like 1

Some good posts on here. If we take the 3 goals away for a second, it was a good performance. We drove the game, created several good chances and played some lovely football. 

In contrast, Oxford created 1 or 2 chances through good football. Each and every goal they scored was gifted to them. All of them conceded at a time when our concentration should have been at its maximum.

Losing the game was soul destroying and completely undeserving. I was gutted for our fans who were terrific throughout, we didn’t and don’t deserve this. It’s hard to take…however, I do feel our offensive quality is improving to a level that will get us into the playoffs.

BPF - 5 He isn’t commanding enough in his box. He needs to make more clattering clearances and let the opposition forwards know they are in jeopardy of a massive whack when crosses come in.

Palmer - 6 steady

Hutch - 6 Again ok, but he’s not a Dunkley or Pearson. He’s a no2 centre half, the smart one.

Johnson - 5 exposed.

Luongo - 8 An all round midfielder, good in all departments. When he plays, we are not overrun in midfield.

Baz - 6 Good goal, but one of his poorest performances. Lost possession so many times, which is unusual. Keep it simple more often Baz.

Fizz - 6 Played well, showed for the ball often and never loses it with a man on his back. A couple of times got into brilliant positions, then fluffed his final ball. We need to stick with him.

Hunt - 7 good game, lots of positive passing

MDL - 5 He has presence but didn’t get the rub today.

Sow - 4 Offered little 

Gregory - 6.5 Good game, but should have scored 

Windass - 7 quality and mobile

Its simple now. We’ve got our big players back up top, we need to stop the poor goals. 4231.

Hunt…..Storey…..Hutch…..Marv

……………Luongo….Fizz

…….Windass….Baz….MDL

…………………Gregory 

• Like 4

Same again from Wednesday. Looked fantastic at times. First half we bombarded their goal and kept them away from our box but needed to get more goals when on top because we just don't have the personnel to defend our box. No defensive shape, just 3 decent footballers making it up as they go on. All 3 great going forward but hopeless when under pressure. Do they do any defensive coaching or do they just hope for the best? These three at the back will only work if a) we keep the oppos away from our box or b) we score so many goals that it doesn't matter. And we just don't score enough, despite the delightful football.

Peacock-Farrell - 7 made some important stops. Terrific kicking

Johnson 5 - does his best in that position but picked on and too easily bullied by Taylor
Hutchinson 6 - battled well as ever. Looks good on the ball but needs to be alongside an aerial strongman

Palmer 6 - again, some terrific distribution but we look so vulnerable playing these as a back three (not sure what choice there is)

NML 6 - looked good at times but little end product and mostly anonymous

Bannan 7 - another good game though not always perfect, great goal and should have been a great assist for Brown 

Luongo 8 MOTM - absolutely awesome in the first half but went quiet in the second - maybe ran out of energy. We lost momentum when he stopped bossing things. Hope he's not spent.

FDB 6 - not as bad as some make out. Plays a key role in our pressing, keeps the ball well. Needs to avoid fouling. If only he could think a second quicker.

Hunt 7 -  one shocking cross, some awful finishing but otherwise another good game

Gregory 7 - some great hold up play and harassing of defenders. Should have scored though.

Sow 4 - minimal contribution. Didn't do well with his moments of opportunity

SUBS:

Windass 7 - another sumptuous goal and decent play overall

Brown 3 - doesn't look like a footballer at all. I don't remember him doing one good thing. Looked at sea when defending and attacking and oh dear THAT miss

Paterson 4 - his long throw looks useful but THAT cross! and THAT miss! Probably more of a threat than Sow though, if he's got the legs for 90 mins.

13 sets of ratings in so far, and the average scores are:

Peacock-Farrell: 5.4

Palmer: 5.2

Hutchinson: 5.9

Johnson: 4.4

Hunt: 6.8

Mendez-Laing: 5.2

Luongo: 7.7

Dele-Bashiru: 4.9

Bannan: 7.0

Sow: 4.5

Gregory: 6.2

Windass: 7.0

Brown: 2.2

Paterson: 4.8

Will add up the final scores in a few hours time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Pieman said:

Some good posts on here. If we take the 3 goals away for a second, it was a good performance. We drove the game, created several good chances and played some lovely football. 

In contrast, Oxford created 1 or 2 chances through good football. Each and every goal they scored was gifted to them. All of them conceded at a time when our concentration should have been at its maximum.

Losing the game was soul destroying and completely undeserving. I was gutted for our fans who were terrific throughout, we didn’t and don’t deserve this. It’s hard to take…however, I do feel our offensive quality is improving to a level that will get us into the playoffs.

BPF - 5 He isn’t commanding enough in his box. He needs to make more clattering clearances and let the opposition forwards know they are in jeopardy of a massive whack when crosses come in.

Palmer - 6 steady

Hutch - 6 Again ok, but he’s not a Dunkley or Pearson. He’s a no2 centre half, the smart one.

Johnson - 5 exposed.

Luongo - 8 An all round midfielder, good in all departments. When he plays, we are not overrun in midfield.

Baz - 6 Good goal, but one of his poorest performances. Lost possession so many times, which is unusual. Keep it simple more often Baz.

Fizz - 6 Played well, showed for the ball often and never loses it with a man on his back. A couple of times got into brilliant positions, then fluffed his final ball. We need to stick with him.

Hunt - 7 good game, lots of positive passing

MDL - 5 He has presence but didn’t get the rub today.

Sow - 4 Offered little 

Gregory - 6.5 Good game, but should have scored 

Windass - 7 quality and mobile

Its simple now. We’ve got our big players back up top, we need to stop the poor goals. 4231.

Hunt…..Storey…..Hutch…..Marv

……………Luongo….Fizz

…….Windass….Baz….MDL

…………………Gregory 

That’s a really good side you propose there. 

I hadnt really thought that 4231 suited us, but your suggestion works a treat IMO.

I hate us with a lone-striker, but Windass and MDL are both quality forwards and are very decent goal-scorers. Plus, Hunt and Johnson love to overlap so allow Windass and MDL to drift closer to Gregory.

Luongo, Fizz and Bannan are so obviously our best midfield.

Dont think you’d find an Owl that wouldn’t start Storey and Hutch next game.

Yep - really like your side there.

• Like 3

On 22/01/2022 at 12:36, NobbyStyle said:

Every time we lose I always think the other team were fitter than us. 

Well, half of our goals conceded have been in the last 15 minutes of each half so there may well be some truth in this.

30 minutes ago, Daz said:

Well, half of our goals conceded have been in the last 15 minutes of each half so there may well be some truth in this.

Gerr’em up ‘ill in Longley Park.

I always think we can’t keep up with the others for all of the game.

I don’t know & I’m not asking you mate but how often do we train?

Is it every day or twice a week?

Imo it needs to be more.

• Like 1

Well, looks like these are the final scores. Massimo Luongo man of the match again.

Oxford United vs Sheffield Wednesday, 22 Janaury 2022

Peacock-Farrell: 5.4

Palmer: 5.2

Hutchinson: 5.9

Johnson: 4.4

Hunt: 6.8

Mendez-Laing: 5.2

Luongo: 7.7 - MoM

Dele-Bashiru: 4.9

Bannan: 7.0

Sow: 4.5

Gregory: 6.2