SWFC after two centre backs this month

15 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We bought Gregory. For minimal fees as we did 2 or 3 others.

If we are loaning in a 32 year old Mark beevers then i despair.

Aah right so you’ve just plucked a figure out of thin air then ? £250k why not eh ? We don’t have a pot to pee in if you recall ??

2 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Agree. We have to cut our cloth and realise where we are. It might not work out but his recent credentials for this league stand up to scrutiny.

No idea who people think we’re going to sign , Lewis dunk ? Varane ?

crackers ! , people seem to be basing it on what he was like 10 years ago , if he never played for us I think it would change many opinions. players change and adapt/ improve  . The last time we were in league one we had solid cbs in llera / rob jones , is beevers in this kind of category? Yes , 6ft 5 left footed , lacks a touch of pace but will head it and kick it etc 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Aah right so you’ve just plucked a figure out of thin air then ? £250k why not eh ? We don’t have a pot to pee in if you recall ??

250k is literally nothing and is the kind of budget we will be working with.

A common misconception - we have some money, we just aren't allowed to spend it. 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i thought we were in the championship and sold him to millwall in the january window .......

Just checked, was turfed out upon promotion  thought he had gone in Jan 12. Played 7 times in L1, was loaned to MK Dons, came back and played just 6 times apparently, loaned out to Millwall in October. Never seen again.... 

Beevers would be a poor signing, would signal the 'ambition' this club now has, and would be a waste of a precious loan spot.

I give he is experienced. We don't particularly lack this though. He can head a ball too, a positive.

But he lacks pace which he never had anyway, and he isn't getting any younger now at 32.

He also wouldn't fit the team and formation we play right now. Moore likes to play 3 at the back and pass it out. Beevers can't play this way, he is a lump it like Dunkley. So unless he is coming in as back up to Dunkley, which would be a massive waste of money, I don't think it's the right way to go.

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just checked, was turfed out upon promotion  thought he had gone in Jan 12. Played 7 times in L1, was loaned to MK Dons, came back and played just 6 times apparently, loaned out to Millwall in October. Never seen again.... 

apart from 121 for millwall at least at this level 117 for Bolton and 88 for peterboro. 
At this level. 
Remember we need out of L1 that’s all. 

16 hours ago, A47Owl said:

A back 4 doesn't figure in Moore's jiggly ball machine. 

We've already got the players for a 4 at the back but our genius manager won't play it. 

Out of interest, who would be your choice for left back in a back 4. Personally I can't see one who is adequate, unless you mean a right footed Liam Palmer 

22 minutes ago, another1bitesthedust said:

Out of interest, who would be your choice for left back in a back 4. Personally I can't see one who is adequate, unless you mean a right footed Liam Palmer 

He did a decent job for a while. A back 4 with Palmer lb is better than a back 3 with no recognised cbs. 

You would only need 2 cobbled together cbs instead of 3.

The marvelous Mr Moore doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept. 

• Like 1

Just now, A47Owl said:

He did a decent job for a while. A back 4 with Palmer lb is better than a back 3 with no recognised cbs. 

You would only need 2 cobbled together cbs instead of 3.

The marvelous Mr Moore doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept. 

Agree with that. LB is a problem, but yes Palmer can play there, so can Johnson. Brown is a LB and signed by Moore (presumably for that role) and we have another LB with Galvin in the u23s. 

For me, a back 4 is more sensible than a cobbled together back 3, as you say, which then means wingbacks are also cobbled together....that's 5 players out of 11 cobbled together, add in Paterson often  playing up front and that's why we often look a mess and disjointed.

If he's persisting with 3CBs not only do we need fit CBs but also wingbacks. The nearest we have to an effective wingback is Jack Hunt. 

13 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Hahahahaha

Hahahahahah

Hahahahaha

When fit, he is nowhere near the standard of Hutchinson, Dunkley or Iorfa.

Yes my apologies the recent form of Iorfa and Hutchinson has been outstanding. Best centre back pairing in the league. 

• Haha 1

I’d take Beevers on a loan.

Understand the argument that he’s not great with the ball at his feet nor pacey (and agree) however we concede so many of our goals from set pieces/crosses. Beevers at 6ft 3” plus hopefully another big lad on loan, with hopefully Iorfa and Dunkley coming back should hopefully address this big issue we have! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Beevers would be a poor signing, would signal the 'ambition' this club now has, and would be a waste of a precious loan spot.

I give he is experienced. We don't particularly lack this though. He can head a ball too, a positive.

But he lacks pace which he never had anyway, and he isn't getting any younger now at 32.

He also wouldn't fit the team and formation we play right now. Moore likes to play 3 at the back and pass it out. Beevers can't play this way, he is a lump it like Dunkley. So unless he is coming in as back up to Dunkley, which would be a massive waste of money, I don't think it's the right way to go.

Beevers captained a promotion winning side from this division last season

Hes a left footed experienced centre half, which we lack

Peterborough played 3-5-2 last season with Beevers playing left side of the 3

Not sure what the issue is

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Beevers captained a promotion winning side from this division last season

Hes a left footed experienced centre half, which we lack

Peterborough played 3-5-2 last season with Beevers playing left side of the 3

Not sure what the issue is

correct and if we sign another cb he could play central , with new player left or hutch there for example , if pace / ball playing ability is going to be an issue . Just because you play 3 at the back doesn’t mean ur 3cbs have to be like van dijk, as long as he can pass the ball to teammates (something we struggle to do ) then that’s fine for me! 

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Yes my apologies the recent form of Iorfa and Hutchinson has been outstanding. Best centre back pairing in the league. 

When they last played together, we kept 4 out of 5 clean sheets.

Our problem with those isn't they are poor. It's that they are constantly injured. Beevers will end up same way.

It was muted that beevers and Peterborough were going to terminate his contract? So it would not be a loan but a deal for probably 18 month? Not end of world ? Also he played in a back three for them and yes he no maldini but Bannan drops deep to get if of dunkley when he plays ? I just can’t see many other options for what we want/afford / circumstances? We definitely need someone to head the ball clear from set pieces ? Can be best ball playing young loan player but the amount of goals conceded in that way is scary? Wot gets me Is moore was a no nonsense cb who did the basics well and to be successful especially at this level that type of cb needed ? 

Beevers left the club upon promotion under Dave jones ? We had reada lierra had just signed Anthony Gardner and big lump from Watford ( can’t remember his name came with good rep but was past it) so he’d gone down pecking order and that was championship? Yes league one is his level but we are in league one? Played 40+ games last season is fit and ready to go ? All about opinions and in mine don’t think we gona get much better ( hopefully young loan cb aswell) atm ?