George Hirst "If we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win I don't think anyone would have been surprised"

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

“It was one of those games where if we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win, I don’t think anyone would have been too surprised.

I would have been surprised. The xG was 1 vs 0.5.

Could just as easily say, if Wednesday had walked off the pitch with a 4-1 win I wouldn't have been surprised. It would be just as unlikely a result considering a game of few clear-cut chances.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s speaking to Pompey fans and media. It’s a fairly fair assessment of things overall. He’s right that on another day they could have got 4. Likewise on another day we could have got a 1-0 away win.

You are over analysing it because it’s George Hirst. 

I think you're only defending him as you are because it's George Hirst

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I think you're only defending him as you are because it's George Hirst

Sorry mate I just don’t hold that bitterness. He was 18 at the time and wanted to move clubs for his career. He hardly played for us and personally don’t get why you’d go out your way to boo the lad.

Him leaving for nowt was a monumental fizz up by the club. Young players leave all the time, difference with this is Hirst left and we got nothing for it due to the clubs incompetence.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Portsmouth will be the biggest club he plays for from this point on in his career, and this might be the last or second last time he ever plays against us. 

Let him flap his gums. George will have a full football career at some level - probably one below this - but right now his biggest shot at any relevance is running his mouth to goad our fans into reacting. Leave him to it. 

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fpowl said:

Think where credit is due taking away it being George Hirst and his history with us he actually surprised me 

had a good game he looked strong maybe he’s found his level now but he gave us a game if he adds goals to his game he will be a decent player for someone 

now I’ll put my wednesday hat  back on and say shut up George you melt 

Looks the type of player who would do ok in the MSL. 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313

He looked better than the last time I saw him play but he’s totally messed his career up.. basically lost 2 years between August 2017 and August 2019, then spent another year in Leicester’s under 23s. If he’d spent those 3 years out on loan in the lower leagues then probably getting a chance here given the number of injuries at times and lack of a striker last season then he’d probably be a much better player for it.

That said, he couldn’t turn down a £2m contract and take the risk that he’d eventually make it at Hillsborough. A victim of the modern game and gulf in finances between PL and Championship

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nope

“Our offer to George was declined by the player’s advisors and when we asked them to submit a proposal to us, we found they were requesting the basic salary of an established first team player at our club, plus completely unrealistic bonuses, clauses and add-ons. 

“We therefore had no choice but to decline this proposal, not because of the money, but in the interests of fairness and squad morale.

-----------

So by you reckoning he foooked off cos we offered him to much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

“Our offer to George was declined by the player’s advisors and when we asked them to submit a proposal to us, we found they were requesting the basic salary of an established first team player at our club, plus completely unrealistic bonuses, clauses and add-ons. 

“We therefore had no choice but to decline this proposal, not because of the money, but in the interests of fairness and squad morale.

-----------

So by you reckoning he foooked off cos we offered him to much.

No

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop