George Hirst "If we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win I don't think anyone would have been surprised"

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

image.jpg

“We were very good and I had a couple of chances, while the keeper has made so many excellent saves.

“We passed the ball when we needed to and we fought when we needed to – on another day we’d have won that.

“There’s probably some added incentive for me to be playing Sheffield Wednesday, although most of that is hyped up by the media.

“I just go out there and try to do my job – whoever the opponents are. I was happy with how I played and thought we were excellent as a team.”

"I was pretty rough last Thursday through to Saturday and the gaffer was understanding about that," he said. “I came in to do a bit on Sunday by myself and then trained on Monday. He gave me the nod and I felt pretty sharp, so hopefully that will improve.”

“It’s always funny when you get chants about you. I don’t mind it, it’s all part of the game these days.
“I don’t hear too much of it, I’m on the pitch concentrating on what I’m trying to do. It’s one of those things.”

“I was once a fan, I still am a fan, you support the team you support"

“The conditions were tough and we were going against the wind in the first half, so it was hard to judge at times.

“It was one of those games where if we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win, I don’t think anyone would have been too surprised.

What a scorned melt he really is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I'll be controversial and say I thought he looked ok and could become a player soon if he gets a proper run at it. Absolutely give him stick if he plays against us but I'm not bothered whether he does well or not and I have no animosity towards his Wednesday departure. 

I agree. He's not a goal scorer like his dad, but he runs the channels well and works hard. I can see him as a decent "forward" playing wide in the future. But only in league one or the championship. 

Guest Mcguigan

Footballing nepotism at it's finest.

Can't think of many strikers, with just 4 goals in 70 appearances and 6 season's as a pro, that get to still play on the stage young George does.

He's not going to make it at this level. He's played 70 league games and scored 4 goals and he's 22 years old. It's hardly the recoerd of a journeyman striker in L1 or 2.

He might get to L2 level in a few years when he's in his prime.

He got too big for his boots too early and ended up throwing his career away. He will have made a few bob on his current contract but I doubt it will be renewed. Leicester sent him to Rotherham expecting him to kick on, the fact his next loan was a league below speaks volumes.

It's a shame, he had so much goodwill while he was here,fans were desperate for him to succedd but 2 wasted years looks to have ruined him.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, markowl said:

Can anyone, hand on heart say they wouldn't have been surprised if we'd lost 4-0?

Or is it just George and Sally who think that?

FDB came very close and we came close again from a few corners.

So on the flip side a classic 1-0 away win could have happened.

But Hirst is speaking to Pompey fans so will suggest they should have won, 4-0 was an exageration though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, markowl said:

Can anyone, hand on heart say they wouldn't have been surprised if we'd lost 4-0?

Or is it just George and Sally who think that?

He’s speaking to Pompey fans and media. It’s a fairly fair assessment of things overall. He’s right that on another day they could have got 4. Likewise on another day we could have got a 1-0 away win.

You are over analysing it because it’s George Hirst. 

We were under the cosh for much of the first half but by the end of it we looked as likely as them to score. In the second half I think we had the best of it until the sending off. I think we might have nicked if Luongo had stayed on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

image.jpg

“We were very good and I had a couple of chances, while the keeper has made so many excellent saves.

“We passed the ball when we needed to and we fought when we needed to – on another day we’d have won that.

“There’s probably some added incentive for me to be playing Sheffield Wednesday, although most of that is hyped up by the media.

“I just go out there and try to do my job – whoever the opponents are. I was happy with how I played and thought we were excellent as a team.”

"I was pretty rough last Thursday through to Saturday and the gaffer was understanding about that," he said. “I came in to do a bit on Sunday by myself and then trained on Monday. He gave me the nod and I felt pretty sharp, so hopefully that will improve.”

“It’s always funny when you get chants about you. I don’t mind it, it’s all part of the game these days.
“I don’t hear too much of it, I’m on the pitch concentrating on what I’m trying to do. It’s one of those things.”

“I was once a fan, I still am a fan, you support the team you support"

“The conditions were tough and we were going against the wind in the first half, so it was hard to judge at times.

“It was one of those games where if we had walked off the pitch with a 4-0 win, I don’t think anyone would have been too surprised.

4-0 win?

If dives counted as goals then yes.

• Love 1

Guest Tactical Bacon

People really need to let go of the memories of Hirst.

He wasn't good enough, the chairman stood up to him and he was proven very correct. Its a bit tragic seeing these threads started up in the weak hope it might cause division amonst the fanbase

12 minutes ago, Tactical Bacon said:

Its a bit tragic seeing these threads started up 

Feel free not to click on them
The clue to what a thread is about is usually in the thread title

A cynic may suggest the real tragedy is seeing a George Hirst thread and clicking on it if you find the threads about George Hirst tragic, never mind posting in them

Owlstalk Shop