Messi wins 7th Balon D'or - deservedly?

WatfordOwl

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59454640

Messi has won the Balon D'Or for a record 7th time. 

But has he deserved it? 

40 goals in the campaign, and led Argentina to the Copa America title - his 1st international award. 

Other worthy contenders, notably Jorginho who won the CL with Chelsa and also the Euro's with Italy. 

Levandowski scored 53 goals in the season, missed out on the main award, was given a newly created (on the day) striker of the year award. 

Not sure Messi did enough this time, and there were definitely other very worthy contenders. 

Brilliant player, but on merit I feel there where better performances elsewhere.

Comes across a little sponsors choice, rather than factually that, he was the best player on the planet last year.

Edited by Maddogbob

For me there should be no awards.

Just for the stroking of egos and no doubt a money making adventure.

Why do they need an award?

I might be really good at 'warehousing' or sha*****, but I would be embarrassed if I got an award for it.

Lewandoski’s made up award sounds like he was the real winner anyhow.

Edited by helmut_rooster

Levandowski may have scored more goals than Messi in 2021 but Messi has still bagged over 40 goals and has more assists than Levandowski.

Messi is clearly a better all round player, also he’s won trophies domestically and internationally in 2021.

He deserves it.

Messi is the greatest of all time in my opinion. And 40 goals in a season not counting as one of his best helps prove that .

But the reason he won it is due to fact he won the Copa America. There is an obsession that somehow an individual has to win an international trophy to be a great. We have seen it in the arguments about best players before many times.

I think someone else apart from Messi and Ronaldo will have to win it next year. But it doesnt have to be someone like Modric who was never good enough to win it.

Out of interest, why should Lewy have won it?

We hear a lot of complaints from goalkeepers, defenders etc saying they never get close or even considered because the goal scorers get all the plaudits. 

Other than scoring a lot of goals, what else has Lewandovski done?

I don't want much football so I'm genuinely looking for some insight, rather than me saying you're wrong.

55 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Out of interest, why should Lewy have won it?

We hear a lot of complaints from goalkeepers, defenders etc saying they never get close or even considered because the goal scorers get all the plaudits. 

Other than scoring a lot of goals, what else has Lewandovski done?

I don't want much football so I'm genuinely looking for some insight, rather than me saying you're wrong.

Lewandowski isn't just a goal scorer he has a funny tik tok account. 

I don't think he deserved it.

But being as (apart from one year) it's been either him or Ronaldo for the past 14 years it's hardly a suprise.

I imagine a working man's club type committee sitting down to decide the winner.

"Right lads, it's golden ball time again, is it Lionel's or Ronaldo's turn can anyone remember? - ok, that's sorted, anyone fancy a pint?"