Darren Moore - for 70 mins I was pleased

6 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Teams smell blood with us now, and probably have for a long time - even a new bunch of players haven't been able to get over our longstanding record of chucking in late goals to gift points away.  You'd imagine opposition's pregame analysis stresses that you're never out of the game against this lot.

We need our management to take this head on now, its no good pretending its a blip or unlucky or we've switched off and so on.  Teams are up for a scrap in this league anyway, let alone against sides they know are historically fragile.  Unless we are somehow 3 up going into injury time, you're never really out of the game against us!  Its not about Moore setting up to protect one goal leads, or shutting up shop when a team grabs a goal back, parking the bus etc.  Its more an attitude - if teams want a fight, we'll give them it.  For 90 minutes.  Letting them off the hook with "oh we were great for 45/60/70 mins today" just won't wash this season, that's becoming pretty obvious to us all.

Moore was known for being a tough, no-nonsense defender, who led teams.  We need to see some of these qualities in how he's going to set us up this season - this idea they've clearly got that we're just going to waltz up to games and "play through the thirds" or whatever, and teams will let us do it, just isn't materialising.  We're probably not as good as he thought we were to do this.  There's still time to change his approach, and we absolutely have the players to do this - press, be aggressive etc.  Its basic league 1 stuff, but if we don't start doing it, we aren't going anywhere, because if not teams will keep hounding us all game and we'll keep throwing away leads.

Spot on 

8 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

That’s not only the gaffer, but needing leaders on the pitch who the rest will respond to.

We signed 14 players in the summer, how many would you consider leaders?  Gregory, I think that's probably it.

It's staggering really, as this has been an issue for years now since the Loovens/Semedo era, and we still haven't addressed it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

We signed 14 players in the summer, how many would you consider leaders?  Gregory, I think that's probably it.

It's staggering really, as this has been an issue for years now since the Loovens/Semedo era, and we still haven't addressed it.

As I’m typing this, Gary Neville is on saying how some of the lesser players at MUFC were vital to their success as they were reliable and solid. If we are not going to run away with the division (we’re not!) then we need some steady Eddies who will stand up and be counted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

As I’m typing this, Gary Neville is on saying how some of the lesser players at MUFC were vital to their success as they were reliable and solid. If we are not going to run away with the division (we’re not!) then we need some steady Eddies who will stand up and be counted.

We have no leaders mate. We have a soft underbelly, have done for years. For me the wrong players were signed in the summer. We stockpiled wingers who never play when we were crying out for a couple of nasty gits, players who left their mark on the opposition, shiete houses if you want. We have no backbone and opposing teams know this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

We have no leaders mate. We have a soft underbelly, have done for years. For me the wrong players were signed in the summer. We stockpiled wingers who never play when we were crying out for a couple of nasty gits, players who left their mark on the opposition, shiete houses if you want. We have no backbone and opposing teams know this. 

Our nasty gits are (predictably) injured.

I'm starting to think that believing Luongo might be available for more than a handful of games is going to seriously undermine our season. We just can't function consistently without one of him or Hutchinson in there.

Given the chance, I'd gladly swap and three of our wingers for a reliable defensive midfielder in the January window.

• Like 1

"Get at them and they'll fold....." (or words to that effect) is almost certainly the first sentence of every opposition managers assessment of Wednesday. And, even mid game, if we are a goal up or even two it still applies.......

That we've found ourselves in this position is not only embarrassing but also unforgivable. Mentality had to be number one asset of any player we signed last season, if they couldn't tick that box, no matter how good they were we should have walked away. 

• Like 2

Application for 90 mins in a Wednesday shirt…. When do you see that ?

Last season it was 45 minutes at best being decent, then 45 minutes of doing things that resulted in failure…  

When things like concentrating, organisation, pressing, battling, formation goes to 70% from 100% you’re up poo creek…  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

But the players just switched off.

Its just about doing your jobs.

I'm pleased with the performance and energy though.

We should have won the game but we didn't win it.

Sorry Daz but please leave the club and take your men with you.

It was a better performance in most entertaining game we've seen this season, we should have won game comfortably, numerous missed chances, some of them easy chances cost us in end.

Throwing a 2 goal lead away is Sunday league stuff, we didn't look comfortable with long ball into box all afternoon and soon as it went 1-2 we all knew what was coming if we couldn't get that 3rd goal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our nasty gits are (predictably) injured.

I'm starting to think that believing Luongo might be available for more than a handful of games is going to seriously undermine our season. We just can't function consistently without one of him or Hutchinson in there.

Given the chance, I'd gladly swap and three of our wingers for a reliable defensive midfielder in the January window.

Knowing how Injury prone Loungo is another midfield destroyer should have been a priority in the summer. Massive mistake from Moore. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Knowing how Injury prone Loungo is another midfield destroyer should have been a priority in the summer. Massive mistake from Moore. 

It's starting to look that way, yes.

I can only assume he was given reassurance from the medical team re: Luongo's recovery, and it's not as if he had long-term injury issues before signing for us, is it?

In hindsight, it's shafted us big time.

• Like 1