It`s reminiscent of Carlos`s last season in charge...

Guest mrbluesky

Guest mrbluesky

The ayes... "but we are picking up points and in and around the play-offs"

The nays... "this is boring, negative football that will ultimately finish in failure "

I can't think of a manager that has turned things around from having a negative start, granted you have to give DM the time (he'll get the season imo) BUT, will our style of play ever change?

A quote about DM @Donny... "The progressive, entertaining football his side played and the relative success he enjoyed."

Now, as football is, we want everything to click into place straight away, the players came out in bullish mood saying they wanted promotion and nothing else, are these players collectively good enough? Interestingly DM changed the formation to combat the ease with which Bolton were opening us up, so is this why DM is chopping and changing and in essence trying to play what in effect is defensive football, simply because we don't have the players?

I'm pretty sure CC was pressed on this after he left, he said ageing players and poor recruitment was the reason for our style of play.

DM brings a lot of positives to this football club, unfortunately tactical ability isn’t one of them. I’m not shouting for him to be fired but it’s blindingly obvious how this will end unless he brings in some tactical assistance.

Not all great managers coached their teams.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

DM brings a lot of positives to this football club, unfortunately tactical ability isn’t one of them. I’m not shouting for him to be fired but it’s blindingly obvious how this will end unless he brings in some tactical assistance.

Not all great managers coached their teams.

Yea,we must remember his coaching staff share responsibility.

Partly agree, but the thing is, sides will pick up points in this division because most of the other sides are equally very poor. We will win these sorts of games whilst playing badly because of the opposition.  You perhaps get away with less in the championship although anyone can beat anyone.

My issues with Moore is not so much the style, because it can’t be called a style. It’s none existent, it’s the constant chopping and changing and shoehorning players just to get them in the side. 

• Like 3

Carlos didn't have a last season in charge.  He went on Xmas Eve, same as Derek Dooley years before.  Had he had a full season, and been able to choose his own incoming players instead of picking from a shortlist, I don't think we'd be in the 3rd tier now. 

Moore has to have time.  A month ago he was everyone's favourite.  

• Like 7

Guest mrbluesky
3 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Carlos didn't have a last season in charge.  He went on Xmas Eve, same as Derek Dooley years before.  Had he had a full season, and been able to choose his own incoming players instead of picking from a shortlist, I don't think we'd be in the 3rd tier now. 

Moore has to have time.  A month ago he was everyone's favourite.  

O.k, his last FULL season in charge 🙄 lol

win our game in hand and we are 2 points from the league leaders.

That is far from a negative start.  To be 2 points off the top if we win our game in hand in Mid Oct is a good start.

Re squad rotation - remember a fair few of these new players played very limited amounts of football last season as they were not first team regulars .Bit of rotation now might protect against injuries and give us more legs as we get into winter.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We have to stick with Moore for at least the season. Don’t get me wrong we are crap, but thankfully we are in a league that’s absolutely crap so we are still well in with a chance.

A patchy start yet we are still well in the mix and we have quite a big squad comparative to other teams in the division.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, striker said:

It does, keep it solid in the first half, have a 30 minute spell in the second, then retreat and hang on. 

I hate it when managers become scared to lose games, instead of trying to win them. 

He needs a bit of the old Harry Redknap. I remember Portsmouth going down to 10 men, Harry would throw a couple of extra strikers of wingers on. It didn't always work, but wss quite effective at times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

That is far from a negative start.  To be 2 points off the top if we win our game in hand in Mid Oct is a good start.

Re squad rotation - remember a fair few of these new players played very limited amounts of football last season as they were not first team regulars .Bit of rotation now might protect against injuries and give us more legs as we get into winter.

I bet a bit frustrated with how we play, but at the end of the day it’s points and league position that count. If we improve a bit we will nail a playoff place. If we improve a bit more we will have a sniff at autos. League one is a slog. Moore might have his player management spot on for all I know. Playing favourites until they get injured and then dropping in other players who have had no game time is also a risk. I think a bit more consistency might be better but who knows. There is only one way to find out, and that’s to wait and see…

2 hours ago, marshy said:

Partly agree, but the thing is, sides will pick up points in this division because most of the other sides are equally very poor. We will win these sorts of games whilst playing badly because of the opposition.  You perhaps get away with less in the championship although anyone can beat anyone.

This ^^^

I seem to keep saying this, but for all the complaints we are actually in a pretty decent position approaching one quarter of the way through the season. One point outside the play-offs with a decent win ratio. Is that really just down to luck? Or maybe we've got that little tiny bit of quality that can swing a tight game our way.

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I keep posting this, but since Saturday we no longer have a game in hand. Two of the top 6 have actually played a game less than us. Am I missing something? 

• Like 5

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

He needs a bit of the old Harry Redknap. I remember Portsmouth going down to 10 men, Harry would throw a couple of extra strikers of wingers on. It didn't always work, but wss quite effective at times. 

I can accept losing games if we've had a go. But, when we set up not to get beat and still lose, there is nowhere to hide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Striggy said:

I keep posting this, but since Saturday we no longer have a game in hand. Two of the top 6 have actually played a game less than us. Am I missing something? 

Yes, he/she said "win our game in hand and we are 2 points from the league leaders."

1) Plymouth, P12, 23 pts

9) SWFC, P11, 18 pts

Shows how tight it is at the top.

If any of the teams in the top half of the table put together a run of 5 wins they will be in the automatic promotion spaces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

I can accept losing games if we've had a go. But, when we set up not to get beat and still lose, there is nowhere to hide. 

It's not so much the setting up not to get beat that's not really a problem if when it's not working or you concede he still seems reluctant to go on the front foot and let the liesh off. 

I'll admit to not really being a Carlos fan, but it was one thing he did do especially second half. We'd be playing 4-2-4 with Nando and Wallace as out and out wide forwards and hooper & fletch with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

I'm pretty sure CC was pressed on this after he left, he said ageing players and poor recruitment was the reason for our style of play.

Yea dc should have sold players and strengthened after that 2nd play off failure but didn’t that will always follow him around as a mistake

4 hours ago, marshy said:

My issues with Moore is not so much the style, because it can’t be called a style. It’s none existent, it’s the constant chopping and changing and shoehorning players just to get them in the side. 

I checked Liverpool’s stats over their last 7/8 games. They’ve made (might be in the wrong order): 2, 4, 6, 5, 10 (Carabo cup), 5, 2, 0 changes to their team. I think football has moved on from 442, we pick the same 11 every week, whether we like it or not…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Striggy said:

We had a game in hand on most, but not all clubs from the previous international break when we should have played Sunderland.

This weekend we were one of only a handful of games to be played which "caught us up", but all those who had their games called off this weekend will be rearranging their games so when they're played we'll be back to having our game in hand which is Sunderland next month. Unless we play that before this weekend's rearranged games are actually played!  Basically, it's good that we got our match played, 3 points on the board and less fixture congestion later. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcmigo said:

If we are going to use that logic we win our game in hand and have played 12 and are  on 21 points .

Wigan and Sunderland win their 2 games in hand they have played 12 and are on 28 points,so we are 7 points off the leaders.