Paul Cook “Ipswich are the biggest club in League one”

17 minutes ago, pj owl said:

I tend to go with friends and colleagues opinions who are completely unbiased.

I don’t have a single one who sees Ipswich as ‘bigger’ than Sheff Wednesday 

And neither do I mate .

ALL factors considered I like you and your mates think Wednesday are bigger 

I mentioned when you just base it on trophies alone  and nothing else  Ipswich are big and that’s not based on opinion that is based on facts

But yes everything considered I’m with you Wednesday are bigger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

He’s just sweet talking the Ipswich fans and board because he knows he’s near the sack. 

He says they have the best squad in the league and are sat 20th, that is admitting he’s failing with those set of players after all they are the best. 

He will be gone within a month. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a win under his belt tomorrow.

I mean, it's written.

It's classic Wednesday.

It's Catterick/Everton, Wilko/Leeds, Colin/Cardiff.

He wanted the job here, Channers didn't fancy him, so we're bound to get our hooters rubbed in it.

garymegson

Guest LondonOwl313

The only thing big about us is our fan base.. we desperately need premier league football to be a big club as that gives you money, power and influence.

Thats why Sunderland are the biggest club in the league and then us, Ipswich are some way behind that and no bigger than a Charlton.

Them winning stuff 40 years ago doesn’t make them a big club, it’s as irrelevant as us winning things 90 years ago. Before the time of a lot of us and none of the team is still the same obviously. Back then anyone could win with a bit of investment and a decent manager, they weren’t the only club of that size to win a league. We came up short a few times but there’s not a lot of difference.

A lot of people only consider the relatively small populations of Ipswich and Norwich and forget that those two clubs dominate an entire region.

I'm not saying that either are as big as Wednesday, but they are not the minnows that Ipswich's 140,000 population would suggest.

Like us, Ipswich have had their share of crappy owners and mediocrity for 20 ish years. They are a decent size club with a good fan base.

Prefer Norwich though.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

7 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

It's not about support - Newcastle get similar crowds to Arsenal and Liverpool, but there the similarity ends.

Twenty-odd years ago we were biggest of the clubs cited, but since then we've fallen behind the likes of Sunderland and many others too.

So does that mean man city are bigger than man u ? 🤔 

9 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Most successfull, theyve won major trophies during my life span, Fa cup, league title, plus twice runner up, EUFA cup, although since the mid 80s theyve not done much.

Depends on how you judge big

Yes personally feel winning trophies doesn’t make you a big club. If Brighton won the premier league I still wouldn’t think they were a bigger club than Newcastle. Only if they started getting 60k attendances every week could they say that.  In my opinion the size of fan base and notoriety makes you a bigger club than others.  But I appreciate people have different barometers  

9 hours ago, Neal M said:

A lot of people only consider the relatively small populations of Ipswich and Norwich and forget that those two clubs dominate an entire region.

I'm not saying that either are as big as Wednesday, but they are not the minnows that Ipswich's 140,000 population would suggest.

Like us, Ipswich have had their share of crappy owners and mediocrity for 20 ish years. They are a decent size club with a good fan base.

Prefer Norwich though.

That’s a good point about the population mate