Paul Cook “Ipswich are the biggest club in League one”

Any neutral football fan knows Ipswich are a bigger club than Sunderland and Wednesday 

But seriously most plastic premier league supporters probably don’t know Ipswich, Sunderland and Wednesday even exist

More bothered about buying a Ronaldo shirt from their local JD Sports shop in every town from Blythe to Brighton 

• Haha 1

Why do a lot of our fans get annoyed by these sorts of comments? 

Who cares? 

It's a classic inferiority complex because we've been so poo for 20 years that all we have to hold onto is that we are 'bigger' than certain other clubs. 

Just remember how many so called smaller clubs consistently put us in our place in League 1. It's happened many times in our 3 spells down here. 

Its not the 90s anymore. 

• Love 1

Wednesday and Sunderland are pretty similar. Ipswich have a good history and had that spell in the UEFA cup with Marcus Stewart/Finidi George more recently than we did. But still it was the story of a team really punching, like Bolton. Whereas the likes of Wednesday and Sunderland or Leeds have always been considered under achievers. 

The way things are going as we’ve hit iffy form and they are starting to put things together i wouldn’t be at all surprised if we lost in the usual manner. It won’t just be Paul cook needing the strepsils 

There’s a reason other managers say things like this before playing us.

He will probably make a similar comment in his press briefing before they play Sunderland.

It is what it is. He knows the score. Something to get the fans going and build some sort of positivity ahead of 1 of the 2 biggest games of their season, which they need to win after an awful start. 

In this league, they are a competitor because of what they've spent, but wouldn't class them as a big club, not in the same way as Sunderland, or dare I say it, us. 

Can understand why he made the comment, not got a problem with that as clearly made to get his own fans on side, probably helped that they won last week, otherwise after the start they had would have been a completely silly statement. 

That said, I hope we go there today and smash them, show them what a really big club looks like (but then I hope we do that every week, irrespective of the opposition)

7 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

He's binned all his excuses right there. 'We're the biggest club with the best squad - so we should be top of the league but we're not because I'm the manager'

Early days I know but when you come out with statements like that it means anything less than top of the league is under-performing.

Yep. Also puts quite a bit of pressure on his squad too. He’s not the cleverest as can be seen by the way he threw his entire squad under the bus after one performance last season, when he said they were non-league standard. 

This obsession with size is ridiculous, from all fanbases. All that matters to me is the level you are playing at and the football on offer.

Sunderland, Wednesday, Ipswich, Pompey even Wigan all have a decent claim based on history and fanbase, but unless it puts points on the board, it's just a weeing contest.