Ronaldo to Citeh?

Mickjj

What a n*b that O’Shea player is, kicks the ball off the penalty spot to purposely annoy Ronaldo and then goes down pretending Ronaldo hit him on the face when he only got slapped on the arm.  Players like that should be given match bans afterwards. 

Well played Ronaldo anyway, what a legend and lucky for us to watch him during our generation.  

• Like 3

We using international caps as part of the GOAT argument now lol.

Previous record holder for International Goals is Ali Daei.

Messi currently 8th with around 30 less international apps.

Edited by SiJ

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We using international caps as part of the GOAT argument now lol.

Previous record holder for International Goals is Ali Daei.

Messi currently 8th with around 30 less international apps.

I suppose the caps relevance is pointing out the effort Ronaldo also puts in to play every game that he can for his country and risk injury despite the fact he could easily refuse to play to protect his club salary/sponsorships etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I suppose the caps relevance is pointing out the effort Ronaldo also puts in to play every game that he can for his country and risk injury despite the fact he could easily refuse to play to protect his club salary/sponsorships etc 

Are we saying Messi doesn't do that? 

Ronaldo is 3 or so years older.

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Are we saying Messi doesn't do that? 

Ronaldo is 3 or so years older.

i have no interest in Messi, just explaining that it’s impressive that for a player who is GOAT to have so many caps is commendable, especially given the Diva reputation Ronaldo has with some people 

• Like 1

For me the GOAT argument is an oh so simple argument 

IMO, the greatest of all time is the player with the most natural ability, so Messi or Maradona 

Ronaldo isn’t the GOAT. He’s a world class footballer, but isn’t on the ability level of those 2, in terms of what he can do with a football.

He has reached the heights he has due to sheer hard work, dedication and looking after himself, which have prolonged his career 

But if we’re talking raw ability, then Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronaldinho are all above him 

• Like 2

Tbf, the fact there is even a debate is admirable on the part of Ronaldo.

But I agree with Fresh: pure ability and displays put Messi over him imo.

He also clocks up insane numbers too. Banged in 30 goals in La Liga last season.

We are very lucky to have had the two of them in an era where you can watch them on a regular basis.

Just best to appreciate two footballers who arent similar with playing style.

But without any slight on Ronaldo I just prefer Messi as a footballer. Absolute genius and he makes it look effortless.

Players these days look after themselves so much better that they are almost bound to break records.

By Ronaldo's age, the greatest players of previous generations would have already crashed and burned in their first managerial appointments and got well settled into lives of occasional punditry and problem drinking.

10 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

What a n*b that O’Shea player is, kicks the ball off the penalty spot to purposely annoy Ronaldo and then goes down pretending Ronaldo hit him on the face when he only got slapped on the arm.  Players like that should be given match bans afterwards. 

Well played Ronaldo anyway, what a legend and lucky for us to watch him during our generation.  

Outrageous.  Ripping off a man’s whole career’s worth of work in front of his face.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Players these days look after themselves so much better that they are almost bound to break records.

By Ronaldo's age, the greatest players of previous generations would have already crashed and burned in their first managerial appointments and got well settled into lives of occasional punditry and problem drinking.

Got Zlatan still going at 40.

Makes you wonder how long some of the players in the younger generations will keep going if they can avoid serious injury.

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

For me the GOAT argument is an oh so simple argument 

IMO, the greatest of all time is the player with the most natural ability, so Messi or Maradona 

Ronaldo isn’t the GOAT. He’s a world class footballer, but isn’t on the ability level of those 2, in terms of what he can do with a football.

He has reached the heights he has due to sheer hard work, dedication and looking after himself, which have prolonged his career 

But if we’re talking raw ability, then Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronaldinho are all above him 

Where do you rank them lads who do all the tricks and kick ups in the street? Are they better than Ronaldo? 

I jest.. sort of.. but for me that just demonstrates how focusing on one set of attributes just limits the view of these two players.

I must admit part of my admiration of Ronaldo is his total mastery of the basics of the game. I mean we can talk about who can do what with a ball, who has the most skills or scores the best goals etc for the rest of our lives (which we all will), but for me just look at last nights game. Vintage Ronaldo at this point. Stick the ball in the box and watch this athletic freak seemingly jump about 8ft in the air, plant his head on it and sink 2 brilliant headers. Win the game, see ya later. Superb. 

Not content with being one of the most skilful or masterful wide forward players of all time, he’s now having a crack at being one of the games great predatory centre forwards in his late 30’s for a laugh. 

There is no answer to which of them is the greatest of all time. MY answer is which of them I’d want in my time if I had to pick one, based around how I view the game and like it being played. I’d pick Ronaldo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Where do you rank them lads who do all the tricks and kick ups in the street? Are they better than Ronaldo? 

I jest.. sort of.. but for me that just demonstrates how focusing on one set of attributes just limits the view of these two players.

I must admit part of my admiration of Ronaldo is his total mastery of the basics of the game. I mean we can talk about who can do what with a ball, who has the most skills or scores the best goals etc for the rest of our lives (which we all will), but for me just look at last nights game. Vintage Ronaldo at this point. Stick the ball in the box and watch this athletic freak seemingly jump about 8ft in the air, plant his head on it and sink 2 brilliant headers. Win the game, see ya later. Superb. 

Not content with being one of the most skilful or masterful wide forward players of all time, he’s now having a crack at being one of the games great predatory centre forwards in his late 30’s for a laugh. 

There is no answer to which of them is the greatest of all time. MY answer is which of them I’d want in my time if I had to pick one, based around how I view the game and like it being played. I’d pick Ronaldo.

I wasn’t suggesting Maradona or Messi were just trick merchants, in fact that’s only a small part of their game. Their awareness, close ball control, low centre of gravity. Maradona was 5ft 4 with legs like tree trunks who evaded tackle after tackle from Italian brutes and could do unthinkable things. Ronaldo’s ball control isn’t as good, I’ve seen many a shot he’s hit which have reached the corner flag. He can be very hit and miss if you watch his game, but he’s always in the right place, and that in itself is an amazing quality

I get what you’re saying and it does sort of come down to preference. I can see why you’d want Ronaldo in your team, he’s the model pro, you know you’re gonna get mileage out of him. 

19 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Agree with you there. Messi obviously has the best natural ability, but if I had to win a game of football I’d pick Ronaldo too.  I feel it’s similar with Federer and Nadal in tennis, both have won the same amount of trophies in their time, Federer has the better natural ability but Nadal is a winning machine.  And Nadal leads Federer 24-16 when they’ve played each other, so if Federer is the GOAT, how come Nadal has such a winning record against him?  Personally I feel Messi and Ronaldo shouldn’t be compared as to who is the greatest.   They are simply both amazing in their own ways 

• Love 1