Ronaldo to Citeh?

Mickjj

22 hours ago, scram said:

People keep saying he took the easy option - i'm simply asking what his other options were

Not "he must have had other offers"

So, what options did he turn down in order to take "the easy option"

Just that 

He likely only had 1 offer. Because as mentioned before, the contract terms and wages that he dictates himself mean there are only two potential destinations by default, and the other had just spent £100m on Jack Grealish 2 days earlier and was still locked into negotiations for a player quoted at £150m. 

If his contract demands were more reasonable, he would have had his pick. He’d have had near total control over his next move. Only having 1 offer on the table and ending up in a poor league for an oil state club is the result of his contract, and he could have changed that.

Tom Brady - there’s another example of how this could have played out from within the sporting world. He has played on “team friendly” deals for years, earning nowhere near the top QB’s in the sport now despite being the most decorated of all time in the sports history. He went to a team that wasn’t in the running for the top prizes and turned them into a winner overnight, still on “reduced” terms.

It’s a shame our top footballers can’t weave the similar stories due to their apparently immovable contracts but.. here we are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Unless we've started paying peanuts, I'd think he will be earning as much, if not more, than what Messi is currently on at PSG.

Ronaldo is reportedly signing for 580,000 a week. Messi is nearer 1,000,000.

Ronaldo signed for Juve on near on 1,000,000 a week though, at a similar age to what Messi is now. 

Other teams could absolutely afford Messi, they just couldn’t justify what a player of his quality costs, when they don’t particularly need a player in his position.

37 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

He likely only had 1 offer. Because as mentioned before, the contract terms and wages that he dictates himself mean there are only two potential destinations by default, and the other had just spent £100m on Jack Grealish 2 days earlier and was still locked into negotiations for a player quoted at £150m. 

If his contract demands were more reasonable, he would have had his pick. He’d have had near total control over his next move. Only having 1 offer on the table and ending up in a poor league for an oil state club is the result of his contract, and he could have changed that.

The contract terms he wanted were not out of bounds for other clubs - his commercial value would heavily offset the outlay anyway

Imagine how much they would recoup at a club like Utd or Liverpool with their huge worldwide attraction

I'm not arguing your central point that it would be nice for a player of such gravitas to go to a club for the romance of it - but like Willian has returned home because he wants to thereby waiving around £20m - what does Messi (or Ronaldo for that matter) owe a club like Villa or Everton for eg? He alone would not be enough to turn them into serious challengers for the title or the CL so what legacy does he build?

Also, we don't know what these players do with their money and how committed they are in the short term so maybe they need to maximise their revenue?

I personally would love to have seen him in England and am really disappointed that he didn't sign for a club here - but i'm not gonna damn the guy if he never had the opportunity

15 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I'm predicting Ronaldo doesn't score for the first month or two....cos it's going to take time for him getting back up to speed again, pending if he doesn't get any niggles.

He's going to be the centre of attention for a while..

I honestly reckon the signing will fail. Whenever anything is bigged up to this magnitude, it fails to live to expectations

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I honestly reckon the signing will fail. Whenever anything is bigged up to this magnitude, it fails to live to expectations

I did say that about Ibrahimovic, Larsson and Owen as well though...haha.

But this is another level....Seems like a gamble to me..

17 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I'm predicting Ronaldo doesn't score for the first month or two....cos it's going to take time for him getting back up to speed again, pending if he doesn't get any niggles.

He's going to be the centre of attention for a while..

I’m going for he’ll come off the bench in their next game against Newcastle. 5 v 0 win and he’ll get a brace late on. Bruce will be sacked after. 

On 30/08/2021 at 10:45, SiJ said:

Unless we've started paying peanuts, I'd think he will be earning as much, if not more, than what Messi is currently on at PSG.

'We?'

I know it would only be a fraction of what Jones was on, but I don't reckon he will drop down to League 1, tbh...

Edited by owlinexile

4 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

'We?'

I know it would only be a fraction of what Jones was on, but I don't reckon he will drop down to League 1, tbh...

Meant with respect to England and the PL.

Can't wait for him to take pen and free kick duties, he'll be taking free kick duties off someone who's head and shoulders above him in that respect. 

That could be part of Uniteds downfall in signing him. 

Although his heading ability it the best I've ever known. 

• Like 1