Ronaldo to Citeh?

Mickjj

10 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Newcastle are not a good side, and I don’t think the overall quality of the Premier League is good. What did the blades finish before they got relegated? Was it 8th or 9th? I take it you thought they were incredible. It’s pretty much a lottery who is going to finish 8th - 20th every season and that’s not made up of good teams. To pretend otherwise is pish and ignorant 

“Whoever the opponent is”, have sky really brainwashed you that much that you think scoring against Newcastle carries the same weight as scoring against Chelsea or City? Christ 

If the overall quality of the premier league isn’t good which leagues do have overall quality?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The guy scored against Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Napoli last season, not to mention plenty for Portugal 

110 goals in 130 games for Juve

But you think he can’t do it against the top premier league sides? 

I honestly don’t get what your argument is? 

It strikes of someone who knows very little about the player he’s talking about 

So you think a team finishing 12th last season makes a really good team, even though the Blades finished 9th and then got relegated, and you also think a goal against Norwich is as difficult as a goal against Liverpool, Chelsea  etc? Want to say it again I’m the one who doesn’t know what he’s taking about lol 

I happen to know that he wanted to leave Juve because he was benched for the critical game last season to get 4th, and he found out he wasn’t going to be a guaranteed starter this season. Obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about, so just Google any of that if you don’t trust me. Nobody can deny his goal scoring record, but in the last 2 years there’s been massive concerns about whether or not he’s going to do it in the big games - which is why Juve wanted him out. 

So let’s see how he does against teams we expect to finish near the top of the league. But I think those teams are better than Newcastle, so I don’t know what I’m talking about 

Just now, T Hardy said:

So you think a team finishing 12th last season makes a really good team, even though the Blades finished 9th and then got relegated, and you also think a goal against Norwich is as difficult as a goal against Liverpool, Chelsea  etc? Want to say it again I’m the one who doesn’t know what he’s taking about lol 

I happen to know that he wanted to leave Juve because he was benched for the critical game last season to get 4th, and he found out he wasn’t going to be a guaranteed starter this season. Obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about, so just Google any of that if you don’t trust me. Nobody can deny his goal scoring record, but in the last 2 years there’s been massive concerns about whether or not he’s going to do it in the big games - which is why Juve wanted him out. 

So let’s see how he does against teams we expect to finish near the top of the league. But I think those teams are better than Newcastle, so I don’t know what I’m talking about 

You keep mentioning Newcastle, yet I’ve just listed 5-6 teams at the top of the football pyramid he’s scored against just last season lol 

we will see indeed, I have no hesitation in believing he’ll replicate that form here

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If the overall quality of the premier league isn’t good which leagues do have overall quality?

Right now I’m not sure. Possibly none with the amount of money and power that sits with the top teams in every league.

A few years ago I’d have said La Liga. Teams would be struggling in that league and beat our teams in Europe easily. 

But I definitely don’t buy into that the Premier League is completely the dogs testicles, and a game against Norwich is as tough as against Liverpool or Chelsea, surely nobody except FreshOwl has been brainwashed like that 

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

You keep mentioning Newcastle, yet I’ve just listed 5-6 teams at the top of the football pyramid he’s scored against just last season lol 

we will see indeed, I have no hesitation in believing he’ll replicate that form here

But Juve finished 4th on the last day, and he was left out. Like I said, there was waning confidence in his ability to produce when it mattered. I think you’re missing that point - he’ll be proving a lot of people wrong if he leads United to the title.

Harry Kane might score if Spurs beat Chelsea, City and United in home games this season. If he doesn’t score in the other 3 against those teams and Spurs finish 7th, it doesn’t really matter much.

7 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

But Juve finished 4th on the last day, and he was left out. Like I said, there was waning confidence in his ability to produce when it mattered. I think you’re missing that point - he’ll be proving a lot of people wrong if he leads United to the title.

Harry Kane might score if Spurs beat Chelsea, City and United in home games this season. If he doesn’t score in the other 3 against those teams and Spurs finish 7th, it doesn’t really matter much.

Juve had a $240 deficit due to covid, and Ronaldos wages were 100m, a large part of the decision was financial. 

At his age he’s paid to score goals, and he was their quickest player to reach 100 goals in history 

His brand elevated the club, currently they’re not a match to Bayern, City, Chelsea 

He was bored in Italy too, that’s on record 

Newcastle were probably about as good an opponent as both he and Man Yoo could have hoped for, but yes, he will score goals against most teams imo. 

Still - let's not kid ourselves that the PL is full of great sides and every fixture is massively competitive. 

Plenty of dross lining up to be cannon fodder for the big boys. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Newcastle were probably about as good an opponent as both he and Man Yoo could have hoped for, but yes, he will score goals against most teams imo. 

Still - let's not kid ourselves that the PL is full of great sides and every fixture is massively competitive. 

Plenty of dross lining up to be cannon fodder for the big boys. 

But it’s the same in any division. 

For every real, Barca, Athletico there’s a Levante, Getafe, Espanyol 

For every Juve, Inter, AC there’s a Torino, Caligari 

For every City, United, Liverpool there’s a Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich 

The fact is he’s scores against all of them, good or bad 

• Like 2

I think the PL is the most competitive league

Here are the losses of the top 5 teams from last year

England 6, 6, 9, 9, 12

Italy 3, 7, 6, 6, 9

Spain 4, 4, 7, 9, 10

So the top teams are more likelier to lose in England

10th and 11th place points tally

England 59, 55

Italy 45, 42

Spain 46, 44

Midtable get more points in England

Only thing that lets England down now is the relegation battle-but that's because they're trying to softly ring fence the PL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Newcastle are not a good side, and I don’t think the overall quality of the Premier League is good. What did the blades finish before they got relegated? Was it 8th or 9th? I take it you thought they were incredible. It’s pretty much a lottery who is going to finish 8th - 20th every season and that’s not made up of good teams. To pretend otherwise is pish and ignorant 

“Whoever the opponent is”, have sky really brainwashed you that much that you think scoring against Newcastle carries the same weight as scoring against Chelsea or City? Christ 

U wot m8?

WTF:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

But it’s the same in any division. 

For every real, Barca, Athletico there’s a Levante, Getafe, Espanyol 

For every Juve, Inter, AC there’s a Torino, Caligari 

For every City, United, Liverpool there’s a Burnley, Newcastle, Norwich 

The fact is he’s scores against all of them, good or bad 

I think anyone working in PR for him would say all this, sure, it backs up that he’s an incredible goalscorer, but it doesn’t change the fact that Juve dropped him for a critical game to get 4th last season, and they told him he wasn’t a guaranteed starter this season.

If United win the league and he’s top scorer, Juve will look silly, and I’m sure he’s very motivated by that. But if he finishes top scorer and United finish 3rd/4th, it’ll prove them right. Mind you, Ronaldo and Ronaldo fans will celebrate him finishing top scorer like he’s won the league. And if this happens once again everyone can see the incredible PR effort that’s put into celebrating his individual achievements like no other player we’ve ever seen. Say Chelsea win the league and Ronaldo is top scorer, the amount of social media traffic will be similar for both, but I digress. Hat tricks against the likes of Burnley and Norwich are very likely, but I’m not sure he’ll do against the likes of City and Chelsea where they need to take points off their rivals. 

4 hours ago, T Hardy said:

I think anyone working in PR for him would say all this, sure, it backs up that he’s an incredible goalscorer, but it doesn’t change the fact that Juve dropped him for a critical game to get 4th last season, and they told him he wasn’t a guaranteed starter this season.

If United win the league and he’s top scorer, Juve will look silly

Again.. Juventus are winless in 3 and currently 16th in the league.

15 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Again.. Juventus are winless in 3 and currently 16th in the league.

Don’t see your point? That would be like saying any Wednesday player who left us in the last 3/4 seasons had nothing whatsoever to do with our slump because it continued.. just because you get off a sinking ship doesn’t mean it won’t sink and that you weren’t part of the problem 

Not trying to say Ronaldo is responsible for Juve not winning the league for the first time in 11 years, but it’s a fact that they left him out of a critical game to get fourth last season

1 minute ago, T Hardy said:

Don’t see your point? That would be like saying any Wednesday player who left us in the last 3/4 seasons had nothing whatsoever to do with our slump because it continued.. just because you get off a sinking ship doesn’t mean it won’t sink and that you weren’t part of the problem 

And as literally every single person on this forum knows, Wednesday's problems run substantially deeper than any one footballer.

..as they appear to do at Juventus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

And as literally every single person on this forum knows, Wednesday's problems run substantially deeper than any one footballer.

..as they appear to do at Juventus.

As per my last post, I’m not saying he’s responsible for everything, but to suggest he doesn’t deserve even an ounce of the blame just because they’re not in good form after he’s left is nonsense. If 3 people running a company are all terrible at doing it and one of them leaves, it doesn’t mean that one person who left is completely blameless just because the company is still crap.

They left him out of a critical game when they needed goals, something which seems incomprehensible by his fans on here, but that’s what they did. He wasn’t fancied as one of the 11 to do what needed to be done when it was most important.

Juve couldn't afford Ronaldo, so there may been more to his omissions than whether he was up to it. After all, he scored 29 goals in Serie A.

At the end of the day, these megastar players like him and Messi cost a tonne, even though they obviously generate god knows how much money too. Wasn't Ronaldo on a reported 1 million a week at Juve?

Edited by SiJ

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Barca won just a solitary domestic cup last year - small fry for them - and look likely to do sod all this year.

Will you be blaming Messi for the mess they’re in? 

Funnily enough, one of the reasons Messi wanted out a year ago was because the President at the time kept blaming him for Barca's issues...which seems absolutely bonkers, but here we are.

Would suggest Barca's issues stem from wasting hundreds of millions of pounds on players who haven't worked out.