Building from the back

Saw some people in the matchday thread not happy with it either. I'm not surprised to be fair, it does often look quite dangerous, but if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture I think we created many more attacking situations than we conceded possession in risky areas by passing it out from the back.

We're still learning though, hopefully that first 20-25 minutes today is just a glimpse of more to come. It certainly seems worth persevering with to build that understanding.

• Like 1

Heart in mouth stuff at first but they seem very calm and comfortable on the ball and played it out of danger a few times. I'd rather us do that with the players we have rather than just lumping it down field and have it come back up 10 seconds later. 

I don't understand the strategy of building from the back when you've just recovered the ball from an attack and still under heavy pressure. Short passes inside and on the edge of your own box, while you're being pressed by a number of attackers. It seems to invite needless pressure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobness said:

I don't understand the strategy of building from the back when you've just recovered the ball from an attack and still under heavy pressure. Short passes inside and on the edge of your own box, while you're being pressed by a number of attackers. It seems to invite needless pressure.

But then you can counter and score 

Owlstalk Shop

I thought we got the balance right last night. Against Donny I think they tried doing it all game but last night, BPF went long a couple of times to change things up. Our team is built of technically gifted passes of the ball so why not get the ball down and play? We've won 2 out of 3 games without conceding a single goal, so it's definitely working.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But then you can counter and score 

If you have three attackers breathing down your neck, playing a short one-two inside your own box just seems like a bad idea.