Barry Bannan

23 minutes ago, striker said:

That's the key element, the offer.

Brentford were reportedly interested around £1m. Although he's under contract, he's 32 this year and don't see clubs offering good money for him. 

If it was a choice of £1m or keeping him, I think he has more value to help us get promoted. Aside from which he's well respected by the management and Chansiri seems to like him, so I'd be surprised if he was sold.

There's very little value in this squad, I'd be surprised if anyone was sold unless not in Moore's plans, nobody is going to offer the kind of money necessary to make a sale a no brainer and our lack of contracted players already, suggests there won't be a fire sale, considering the cost of replacing them.

"help us get promoted" 😂

I’d keep him until January at least - there will be some Championship team in trouble who will panic buy him for an overinflated price and we will have had half a season out of him and had a look how he performs in league 1 - we would then also have the option of keeping him if he’s bidding games and we are challenging. What will probably happen is we will be mid table and he’ll get a nasty injury in December 

Just now, Elvin Parsnip said:

I’d keep him until January at least - there will be some Championship team in trouble who will panic buy him for an overinflated price and we will have had half a season out of him and had a look how he performs in league 1 - we would then also have the option of keeping him if he’s bidding games and we are challenging. What will probably happen is we will be mid table and he’ll get a nasty injury in December 

Bossing games I meant - fat fingers 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Keep him. Even if we got a few million, I can just imagine what wonderful players our fabulous “recruitment team” would replace him with…

In terms of pure footballing ability, he will be levels above most of the players in League One. 

The problem we may have is he may well be levels above his teammates too. 

As much as I like Barry and rate him as a player, I don't think he's a guy who can elevate and drag what is likely to be a bunch of pretty average players to great heights. In fact, I can envision a scenario (which we've seen many times before) where he is losing his sh*t with some of his lesser teammates. 

Should also be said that, for all this talent, I still don't overly like him in the middle of the park, certainly without some proper protection around him. You just know full well that teams will target him next season, knowing that if you stop him, you stop us. Perhaps it's time we changed our approach? For this level, we are going to need physicality, pace, power etc. 

Also - his corners suck. Really f*cking suck. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

When they amount to 'stinking of failure' and 'he is is a big part of our problems' what is the point?

Bannan is by far our best player. He isn't a match winner on his own but is still capable of providing quality, he needs those around him to have the ability to make the most of the play he opens up for them.

Unlike many of his team mates this season, his effort has reamined on point even when he is not at his best and his fitness puts most to shame in terms of availability. 

He has been picked as a regular starter by every manager we have had, critics bizarrely reasoning that he dictates to managers or is picked by the owner.  

No one is denying his quality, and only one poster (stickymicky) has said he reeks of failure, which knowing the posters history, isn’t surprising 

Clubs sell good players all the time if the fit isn’t right. I just think if we’re looking at a complete overhaul of players which will bring a brand new system and way of playing, I don’t want to see Bannan sitting on the lap of the centre half and not budging. I think he mentally does it now automatically, and I can see him trying the same even with a new team. 

Instead of having Bannan deep and the other CM left on his own in the middle, I’d rather we sign 2 CM’s who can interchange and bring various qualities both on and off the ball 

I just fear as long as we have Bannan in the team, our play will be restricted to him trying to dictate things and leaving holes here there and everywhere.

I don’t think a new CM partner would change his game, I think we need to change the pairing 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 3

Can’t see him being here for much longer some championship team will take a punt on him ? He still created still looked the best player in a lot of games ( Watford away) just one , he will still be a stand out performer for a better side with better players around him, can you imagine going from hooper ff and co to last seasons static movement! At least we’ll get a fee so we’ll done Bannan for at least making sure we get that if he goes

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

No one is denying his quality, and only one poster (stickymicky) has said he reeks of failure, which knowing the posters history, isn’t surprising 

Clubs sell good players all the time if the fit isn’t right. I just think if we’re looking at a complete overhaul of players which will bring a brand new system and way of playing, I don’t want to see Bannan sitting on the lap of the centre half and not budging. I think he mentally does it now automatically, and I can see him trying the same even with a new team. 

Instead of having Bannan deep and the other CM left on his own in the middle, I’d rather we sign 2 CM’s who can interchange and bring various qualities both on and off the ball 

I just fear as long as we have Bannan in the team, our play will be restricted to him trying to dictate things and leaving holes here there and everywhere.

I don’t think a new CM partner would change his game, I think we need to change the pairing 

I'd rather we play with 3 in midfield and get the best out of our best player by complimenting him. We need a rebuild as it is, you are suggesting we also get rid of our best player in the hope that our recruitment team can improve what we have even more without him. Good luck with that. Personally I think we has mad for signing a new contract but I'm glad he did. 

4 hours ago, Ian said:

So how come the opposition score more goals per game with Westwood in goal?

Not really true, but even if you’re referring to Dawson, 9 games is a very small sample size and don’t forget he had a fit Dom Iorfa and Luongo

Westwood conceded 24 in 20

Wildsmith 35 in 23

Dawson 9 in 9.

Theyre all not what we need. None of them. We’ve 2 keepers now paid very well who we can’t shift, yet aren’t good enough. That’s a big problem for us IMO. 

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How come we got more points per game with Westwood in goal?

Do you really think either of the other 2 have proved they are good enough? 

er...because we score more.......not really a keeper issue that s it

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

er...because we score more.......not really a keeper issue that s it

The team is more confident all round with Westwood in goal. Every sane manager has picked him as number 1.

Not an issue now as we will have your two favouritres to pick from. 👍 If one can get over a niggling injury that has lasted 6 months and counting. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The team is more confident all round with Westwood in goal. Every sane manager has picked him as number 1.

Not an issue now as we will have your two favouritres to pick from. 👍 If one can get over a niggling injury that has lasted 6 months and counting. 

If your definition of an injury that needed an op is "niggling" then I'll leave you to mourn Westwood leaving

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

If your definition of an injury that needed an op is "niggling" then I'll leave you to mourn Westwood leaving

He was supposed to be back 2 months ago. Doesn't look great.

Mind you, he doesn't look great in goal anyway.

Westwood is not a factor he is gone. You are seemingly the only person that thinks Wildsmith and Dawson are good enough.