Barry Bannan

What do we do?

So many questions over the club and the future of our squad going into next season with pending departures, possible structure changes and financial uncertainty how we shape up next season will likely look very different.

• 258 appearances, 14 goals, 37 assists
  • 20/21 Player of the Season
  • Only Wednesday player to play in every single game this season
  • Alongside Palmer, Wildsmith & Hutchinson * only remaining players under contract for next season since 2015 play-off final loss
  • Turns 32 in December, signed contract extension this season until July 2023

Clearly the best player at the club, at the heart and soul of everything we do and one of the best proper footballers we've had at S6 in recent years...but has his limitations, notoriously difficult to pair in a midfield 2, tendency to drop too deep and with other departures this summer will be the highest earner at the club by a stretch.

Chansiri has confirmed DM will lead the team into next season and we know DM likes to get his teams playing with the ball on floor and building play from the back, the type of football that suits Bannan and gets the very best from him like we saw under CC. But I'm torn, with our financial situation still largely unclear and with a obvious desperate need to bring in a number of new players across seemingly every position the club will have to assess any offers that come in - it's well reported the club turned down a bid from Brentford at the start of last season. Plus assuming we did get promoted next season, he would be returning back to the Championship at 33 and may find himself surrounded by a similar quality of player like he has this season. 

Do we run the risk of selling him and perhaps Windass too and placing the faith in our historically poor recruitment to try to really hit that reset button and give the club at least some capital to go on and invest a collectively better squad for the long term? Or do we keep Bannan and whoever else and try once again to build around him and others to quickly return back into the Championship?

Dilemma. 

• Like 1

Until DC monumentally changes his approach I can't see that we're going to be without money troubles.

So for me, may as well keep BB if we can and have a good player whilst our money troubles are still there.

If DC sells up or completely changes his approach and vision for the club then I could see some merit in freeing up wages and bringing on the future.

1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

Depends if an offer comes in that is too good to turn down. 

100%. Good offers for Bannan and Windass should be accepted and monies raised invested in new stock. You just have to hope that lessons have been learned and that Moore will have a greater say than his predecessors.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

but has his limitations,

2 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

He's a great player and he puts in more effort than almost anyone else to ear the shirt in recent seasons, however......

Same rubbish from the usual suspects...the better players we have around Bannan the better the team will be...that's all we need to aspire to

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Same rubbish from the usual suspects...the better players we have around Bannan the better the team will be...that's all we need to aspire to

Yes we need better players around him, but we haven't got them. You might have spotted that, what with our relegation and all that. If we had them he'd be what we need but we haven't so he might not be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

100%. Good offers for Bannan and Windass should be accepted and monies raised invested in new stock. You just have to hope that lessons have been learned and that Moore will have a greater say than his predecessors.

I'd keep them both if possible.

I have no faith that the money will be invested right or will even see the light of day. That's the start of the slippery slope.

• Like 6

£2million and I’d sell.

Would love to get him playing like he did in those few matches when he was given licence to get forward more. Looked very dangerous. Play like that for 46 games and he’ll get his fair share of goals.

16 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I mean if you’d ever seen any of my posts before, you would know I’m very pro Bannan.

They are his limitations though? Lack of goals, defensive liability at times, isn’t diverse enough for a CM and needs to play in a fixed system to get the best from him are all legitimate concerns? 

4 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

By the way, what is considered to be good offer for Bannan?.

32 this year, not athletically blessed, on 30k per week? 

150k to take on his contract? 

Good question, realistically 3+ million? But I doubt we would even get that. I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold him for 1.5-2 range. 

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

I'd keep them both if possible.

I have no faith that the money will be invested right or will even see the light of day. That's the start of the slippery slope.

This is the crux of the issue, how much confidence do we have that the money would all go back into the squad?

And if it did, there’s no guarantees the players we would bring in would be anywhere near as good. 

If we can get a decent fee we should sell and reinvest. BB is our most talented player and player of the season BUT he started 46 matches and got (iirc) two goals and six assists.... (and took most of the free kicks and corners).  Simply not enough.

He would inevitably be playing with even less skillful teammates in League 1 so the chances are he would get very frustrated, play deeper and deeper, and there will again be limited end-product.

A very good player, but time to part company. 

• Like 2