Barry Bannan

On Saturday, we are chasing the game, needing a 4th goal, we get a free kick with minutes to spare on the left hand side in our own half. Bannan drops deep, sending everyone forward, just so he can punt the ball up.... their player wins the header. 

Barry Bannan, the best player in the team which finished bottom of the league. 

The way he controls the play for us is awful to watch. He's a poor captain too. We won't get anything north of £1m for him but whatever we can get i'd take their hand off and build a much more dynamic midfield that isn't restrained by Bannan's limitations. 

Edited by 0742
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

There's a bigger problem - goalkeepers

How do you work that out.....from last season our most expensive and statistically 2nd best keeper is leaving and our statistically best keeper is under contract. Seems the least of our problems

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

How do you work that out.....from last season our most expensive and statistically 2nd best keeper is leaving and our statistically best keeper is under contract. Seems the least of our problems

Not really

Westwood is off leaving us with goalkeepers that make the kind of errors that concede goals in League One

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

All 3 goalkeepers aren't good enough for us, and all need to leave soon as possible.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I'd keep them both if possible.

I have no faith that the money will be invested right or will even see the light of day. That's the start of the slippery slope.

For sure the club has to hugely improve its recruitment. If Moore had a bigger say with his experience in league one I'd favour selling though,for the right price of course, and reinvesting.

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

Anyone who pretends Bannan hasn't been at least part of our problem given those stats for someone who takes every set piece and some penalties need to look these time and time again

Bannan puts plenty of decent deliveries in as seen in our last few games on TV. The problem is getting the players on the other end to stick them in the net.

If you haven't noticed - they're not very good.

If he wants to stay, then we keep him. He might have limitations, which of course he does otherwise he'd be playing for someone better, but he will be head and shoulders the best player in L1 next season. And he'll be ours.

There's also the thing that for him, why should he leave? He isn't gonna get in to a team that us fighting for top 6 championship anymore. He isn't gonna make it back into the Scotland squad whoever he plays for. He isn't gonna make more money elsewhere. So why leave?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not really

Westwood is off leaving us with goalkeepers that make the kind of errors that concede goals in League One

So how come the opposition score more goals per game with Westwood in goal?

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

He's a great player and he puts in more effort than almost anyone else to ear the shirt in recent seasons, however......

He can't tackle, doesn't score and nobody he passes to seems to score much either. At some point we have to realise that might be an issue

Bannan leads the team in tackles won. 

And is second only to Tom Lees for interceptions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, striker said:

Keep him. Promotion worth much more than the fee we'd get for him. Many more players I'd rather sell first.

I remember we sold Atkinson and rebuilt the squad for promotion, and Atkinson was arguably more highly rated than Hirst. 

Again who else could we sell to raise funds especially since Iorfa has been injured all season. 

Not arguing to sell him but if a good size offer comes in then its time to let go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

Depends if an offer comes in that is too good to turn down. 

"£160m, and to sweeten the deal we'll chuck in Sheffield Wednesday FC and Hillsborough Stadium"

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If he wants to stay, then we keep him. He might have limitations, which of course he does otherwise he'd be playing for someone better, but he will be head and shoulders the best player in L1 next season. And he'll be ours.

There's also the thing that for him, why should he leave? He isn't gonna get in to a team that us fighting for top 6 championship anymore. He isn't gonna make it back into the Scotland squad whoever he plays for. He isn't gonna make more money elsewhere. So why leave?

We are the first team in his entire career which has guaranteed him a start every week. Every other club hes been a bit part player and unable to hold down a first team place for any length of time and for this reason I dont think hes in any rush to leave.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, striker said:

Keep him. Promotion worth much more than the fee we'd get for him. Many more players I'd rather sell first.

By that logic, surely we would've invested more than we did in order to stay up... like with Joao, I can see Bannan being sold on, and the money not being reinvested into the squad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

I remember we sold Atkinson and rebuilt the squad for promotion, and Atkinson was arguably more highly rated than Hirst. 

Again who else could we sell to raise funds especially since Iorfa has been injured all season. 

Not arguing to sell him but if a good size offer comes in then its time to let go. 

Not sure about rebuilt? Didn't we just bring in Paul Williams and Danny Wilson?

Tempted to sell but he is one of our very very few players along with Luongo who can accept the ball at his feet in tight situations.

Otherwise its two dogs of war in there and lump it long.