Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

It's a terrible idea but spare me the likes of Gary Neville that happily took huge salaries getting righteous about greed in football.

Why shouldn't he have taken the money? When he started playing for them we were beating them as second division team in a final at Wembley? 

• Like 1

Just now, DJMortimer said:

I was surprised to see a Sky Sports News survey showing something like 14% of supporters being in favour of the ESL.

Obviously a small fraction but still considerably higher than I would like to have seen. What sort of football fans are they?

That's scary saw an on line one, and it was running at 5% in favour.

From a mate of mine who is a proper Manchester City fan: 

This whole thing has got me quite emotional to be honest much like neville im embarassed ive been going thick end of 30 years my dad started going 73 years ago and if it goes through that'll be it ,cant support them in a closed shop its against the ethos of sport

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I was surprised to see a Sky Sports News survey showing something like 14% of supporters being in favour of the ESL.

Obviously a small fraction but still considerably higher than I would like to have seen. What sort of football fans are they?

Foreign ones. 

• Like 3

Let's be honest, these top clubs attract some of the most pathetic, plastic, idiotic fans. 

• Like 3

I’m surprised it’s not higher.

A lot of Sky customers primary concern will be whether Sky get the broadcast rights or not. If they do, there will be a lot more than 14% sat in their arm chairs to watch it.

7 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

It's a terrible idea but spare me the likes of Gary Neville that happily took huge salaries getting righteous about greed in football.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So did every other top flight player what do you do say ' no sir you are paying me way too much I want less"

Great pundit and speaks sense 

• Like 4

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

I’m surprised it’s not higher.

A lot of Sky customers primary concern will be whether Sky get the broadcast rights or not. If they do, there will be a lot more than 14% sat in their arm chairs to watch it.

To be fair, Sky Sports has been pretty much universal in it's condemnation from what I've seen.

But if it were to go ahead, they could have a lot to lose themselves.

21 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I am wondering what the government could do to stop this?

1) Ban fans from entering the stadiums

2) Ban the games shown on U.K. TV

3) Ban the Spanish and Italian teams from entering the U.K. 

Anything else?

The UK Government can do pretty much anything it wants, as long as it has Parliamentary support and the public onside.  Up to and including taking the clubs in question into public ownership.

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Ones that don’t actually attend matches I would imagine 👎

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Perhaps I’m cynical, but the threat of not playing for national teams is, in my opinion, not as big a deterrent as it would have been 20/30 years ago. 

Regardless of any marketing it is still the pinnacle of the sport.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

To be fair, Sky Sports has been pretty much universal in it's condemnation from what I've seen.

But if it were to go ahead, they could have a lot to lose themselves.

The pundits have, not the channel especially the presenters

4 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Perhaps I’m cynical, but the threat of not playing for national teams is, in my opinion, not as big a deterrent as it would have been 20/30 years ago. 

You are probably correct. 

Tbf, how many of us on here roll our eyes when an international week comes along? 

Club football has become the be all and end all in the last couple of decades. 

Still - getting denied the opportunity to play in a Euros or World Cup will be a blow to most top players. 

Should also be said that national teams getting together is perhaps much more important for foreign players. 

Edited by SiJ

Just now, TaxiMark said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So did every other top flight player what do you do say ' no sir you are paying me way too much I want less"

Great pundit and speaks sense 

I really like Neville

But part of the conversion absolutely needs tpo be how many top players and their agents have held clubs to ransom

Maybe not Neville himself but hardly a week goes by without some player or other threatening to leave

The constant saga around Pogba, Suarez and Coutinho at Liverpool etc

This has been the biggest problem facing clubs - and it has dripped down through all levels - even into non league

The players have rarely looked out for the health of the clubs or indeed the game

They've leeched every last drop they could get out of it so i'm not quite ready to get the handkerchiefs out yet tbh

• Like 5

We all as fans didn’t make enough noise over what happened to Wimbledon when they had their club snatched away.  That was the beginning of the whole franchise argument in this country.  The EFL did bugger all because “well, it’s only Wimbledon !”.   Now we see this from the owners whose own experiences growing up with elite sport has been NFL/NBA/MBL franchises swapping one city for another.   We really could be on the cusp of The San Diddly Hotspur Soccerinos becoming a reality.  Whether this happens or doesn’t it will have surely left a huge stain, if not on the clubs involved at least the owners involved.  Maybe unfairly but I think worse of Levy at Tottenham who, as a Brit should know what the pyramid means and stands for.

• Like 4