Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Seen some tweets earlier that Sky will be bidding for the rights.  Dunno if it was just rumours or speculation.

Given the amount of money the ESL is talking about, suspect they have already done the deal with the likes of Amazon or similar. Sky have been shafted same as the rest of us.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Thought the idea the clubs themselves would do it.

They will absolutely need an external streaming service to get this off the ground, particularly in foreign countries.  I read that part of their agreement was that the clubs would be able to show some of their games exclusively on their own tv/internet channels.  But yes, I think Sky might not be in the mix for this as they cannot bring the rest of the world to the table as well as say Amazon can.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

No it doesn’t. Players are paid what their club can afford to pay. The club can afford the wages because of the already obscene amounts of money in the game. That’s not the players fault. It’s not the clubs either to a certain extent. 

These clubs can't afford to pay the huge wages, they are all massively in debt. That's why they have come up with this to bring in more money.

The thing is though it's being funded by bankers JP Morgan through a £4.3 Billion loan, which will be yet more debt to be paid.

1 minute ago, San Clemente Owl said:

They will absolutely need an external streaming service to get this off the ground, particularly in foreign countries.  I read that part of their agreement was that the clubs would be able to show some of their games exclusively on their own tv/internet channels.  But yes, I think Sky might not be in the mix for this as they cannot bring the rest of the world to the table as well as say Amazon can.

If it is Amazon, then my Amazon Prime gets cancelled.

• Like 1

I think whatever happens is the great thing about this is that many people have reflected on the game and how it is governed

Fans have accepted so much shyte it is untrue - and yet they never get a say

Football does need a reboot - whether it's with or without the 6 breakaway clubs

There has been a lot of hypocrisy too

Many fans were utterly disparaging about the PL - now it seemns it's vital for life

It isn't

The PL is a company set up to rinse fans/people/corps to the absolute maximum - and it has not been godd for the general heath of the game

So if this brings about some level of needed change then great

If it causes a cataclysmic rift between the big 6 and the rest then so be it

Either way football needs to look at what it wants to be - a global money making machine

Or a sport - where the fruits can be incredibly lucrative but integrity underpins the ethos of the game

Along with a shared responsibility and duty to protect the health of the game for future generations because on current trajectory football will burn out as we know it regardless

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Given the amount of money the ESL is talking about, suspect they have already done the deal with the likes of Amazon or similar. Sky have been shafted same as the rest of us.

Sky are owned by Comcast the 2nd largest broadcasting and cable TV company in the world and the largest cable TV company in the U.S.

It wouldn't be a surprise if they wanted a piece of the action.

10 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

TBF Sky have shafted us for a ;long time

No tears will be shed for them

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Sky are owned by Comcast the 2nd largest broadcasting and cable TV company in the world and the largest cable TV company in the U.S.

It wouldn't be a surprise if they wanted a piece of the action.

Comcast are being squeezed severely by online streaming services. They basically show a load of old tat unless you are prepared to pay top dollar to include the sports and film packages.

6 minutes ago, Rogers said:

It’s gonna happen. I’m surprised United fans aren’t out protesting for the Super League to happen 

they always go against the grain for their own good 

Fairness in Football and all that!

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

can see it ending up in the courts

I'm beginning to think it may have a chance of failing (assuming high level pressure is brought to bear on the ESL)

I agree with Neville, if one club pulls out (English) it could crumble.

What I don't know is what pre contractual agreements have been signed by the 6, and if there is any financial penalty for withdrawing from the ESL at this point.

16 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Just that they wouldn't simply roll over and let it happen.  It is their club after all.

It does sound an appealing suggestion I must admit, what are the downsides to it though? 

Less money,  hopefully responsibility spent.

Downstides I'd imagine quite a bit of infighting and more bureaucracy.

plus you've got to find someone will to own the other 49% with little or no ruling vote.

it's a tricky one, works well in Germany from what I can tell, less glamorous clubs could really struggle though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

I'm beginning to think it may have a chance of failing (assuming high level pressure is brought to bear on the ESL)

I agree with Neville, if one club pulls out (English) it could crumble.

What I don't know is what pre contractual agreements have been signed by the 6, and if there is any financial penalty for withdrawing from the ESL at this point.

All the talk from the ESL seem pretty confident that they will go ahead with the plan, and they foresaw all the flak they have received and are prepared for court action which they are confident of winning.

• Like 1