Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

6 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I'm beginning to think it may have a chance of failing (assuming high level pressure is brought to bear on the ESL)

I agree with Neville, if one club pulls out (English) it could crumble.

What I don't know is what pre contractual agreements have been signed by the 6, and if there is any financial penalty for withdrawing from the ESL at this point.

I'm the other way, I think it's a done deal.

Talk of three other clubs we don't know about yet, plus psg, Dortmund and Munich with invites.

Could you imagine if it's Celtic and Rangers??

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

The idea is ********, and the clubs involved morally repugnant. 

But. 

If we can fizz these 6 twots off and get a model closer to Germany, and a cao of wages and ticket prices, less football on sky, I for one pray to ******** God it happens now 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

All the talk from the ESL seem pretty confident that they will go ahead with the plan, and they foresaw all the flak they have received and are prepared for court action which they are confident of winning.

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but, the pressure from fans, other clubs, managers and the media and governments may get bigger than the ESL imagined.

The big corporates like JP Morgan do not like sustained negative publicity. 

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but, the pressure from fans, other clubs, managers and the media and governments may get bigger than the ESL imagined.

These clubs and corporations are going to get slammed regardless now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Comcast are being squeezed severely by online streaming services. They basically show a load of old tat unless you are prepared to pay top dollar to include the sports and film packages.

I don't know much about their sports coverage apart from Sky, do you think they might be interested in the ESL if it happens?

Guest LondonOwl313
17 minutes ago, scram said:

I think whatever happens is the great thing about this is that many people have reflected on the game and how it is governed

Fans have accepted so much shyte it is untrue - and yet they never get a say

Football does need a reboot - whether it's with or without the 6 breakaway clubs

There has been a lot of hypocrisy too

Many fans were utterly disparaging about the PL - now it seemns it's vital for life

It isn't

The PL is a company set up to rinse fans/people/corps to the absolute maximum - and it has not been godd for the general heath of the game

So if this brings about some level of needed change then great

If it causes a cataclysmic rift between the big 6 and the rest then so be it

Either way football needs to look at what it wants to be - a global money making machine

Or a sport - where the fruits can be incredibly lucrative but integrity underpins the ethos of the game

Along with a shared responsibility and duty to protect the health of the game for future generations because on current trajectory football will burn out as we know it regardless

What’s wrong with the Premier League? If Wednesday had been in it for the duration give or take a few seasons, and we’d had the money from it, had invested in facilities, had top players here then people would have different opinions. There’s a kind of nostalgia for the time which Wednesday were good.

Its not a closed shop at the moment.. there was a spell maybe about 15 years ago where it was Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea who were always the top 4, but more recently it’s more mixed. Sheff Utd were able to finish top half, West Ham have had a good season, Wolves had a couple of good seasons, Leicester won it and are now one of the best teams.

Its a competitive league and the standard has never been higher. There’s too big a gap to championship level but that could be rectified if there was less greed. The general principle of a premier league and the media and commercials that go along with it is a good one though. It looks a lot better than the 80s when you look back and the pitches were crap, the fans were all pissed up and fighting, the players were unathletic and played hoof ball. Premier league has brought progress

How are kick off times going to work? The majority of Asia is 8 hours ahead of the UK, and the USA is either 5-8 hours behind depending where in the country you are. 

If your entire business model is based on TV revenue then scheduling games at inconvenient times for those customers doesn’t seem like the smartest move, but it’s unavoidable really... unless they end up staging games overseas, but even then that’s screwing over “fans” on the other side of the world, e.g. 7pm in Beijing is 4am in LA

4 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Let's hope so but JP Morgan have been in it from the start bank rolling Man Utd where they took a lot of flak from the fans.

I'm really starting to dislike them.

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

What’s wrong with the Premier League? If Wednesday had been in it for the duration give or take a few seasons, and we’d had the money from it, had invested in facilities, had top players here then people would have different opinions. There’s a kind of nostalgia for the time which Wednesday were good.

Its not a closed shop at the moment.. there was a spell maybe about 15 years ago where it was Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea who were always the top 4, but more recently it’s more mixed. Sheff Utd were able to finish top half, West Ham have had a good season, Wolves had a couple of good seasons, Leicester won it and are now one of the best teams.

Its a competitive league and the standard has never been higher. There’s too big a gap to championship level but that could be rectified if there was less greed. The general principle of a premier league and the media and commercials that go along with it is a good one though. It looks a lot better than the 80s when you look back and the pitches were crap, the fans were all pissed up and fighting, the players were unathletic and played hoof ball. Premier league has brought progress

It's mainly because it's not sustainable, yes the bar is high, higher than it's ever been.

And you've nailed it really it's greed that feeds and will ultimately kill it or some clubs. If not now, later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't know much about their sports coverage apart from Sky, do you think they might be interested in the ESL if it happens?

I think the ESL's TV deal however it's structured has already been lined up and is ready to go.

• Like 1