Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

7 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

So did every other top flight player what do you do say ' no sir you are paying me way too much I want less"

Great pundit and speaks sense 

Players wages has everything to do with it.

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You are probably correct. 

Tbf, how many of us on here roll our eyes when an international week comes along? 

Club football has become the be all and end all in the last couple of decades. 

Still - getting denied the opportunity to play in a Euros or World Cup will be a blow to most top players. 

Should also be said that national teams getting together is perhaps much more important for foreign players. 

Not for me I still love the distraction of international football supporting Wednesday 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Ok, I'm finding myself agree with Patrick Bamford now. 

Enough is enough. 

Its coming to something when the stuff that Leeds have done tonight (wearing those warm-up shirts, etc) is something we all like and can get behind.

Crazy times.

2 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Why does how much Gary Neville got paid have anything to do with this super league ?

Not Neville in isolation but the issue of player wages is a massive reason why the game has become so incredibly monetised

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I was surprised to see a Sky Sports News survey showing something like 14% of supporters being in favour of the ESL.

Obviously a small fraction but still considerably higher than I would like to have seen. What sort of football fans are they?

I think a large proportion of that 14% don’t agree with the proposal per se, but are looking at it from the point of view that the 6 will be gone therefore giving their club a chance of silverware/European football that they felt they never had before.

Not saying I agree with them, but there are different shades in play here.

3 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Players wages has everything to do with it.

No it doesn’t. Players are paid what their club can afford to pay. The club can afford the wages because of the already obscene amounts of money in the game. That’s not the players fault. It’s not the clubs either to a certain extent. 

For English football this all started when the PL was formed. Many forget that the clubs chose to leave the football league at this time. As the money has increased in the PL the clubs, owners, players and agents have all become too greedy - too little of this money has made its way down the football pyramid that everyone is now saying is very important.

The PL has almost become a closed shop now with just a few yo-yo teams - the parachute payments are real evidence of how little the PL cares about the EFL.

The irony of PL clubs talking about others being greedy is beyond the pale for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Why does how much Gary Neville got paid have anything to do with this super league ?

I'm sure Gary Neville wasn't too worried as the cash came in how his wages were being funded but the ESL is the conclusion of the process that the players and their representatives were more than happy to participate in.

8 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

No it doesn’t. Players are paid what their club can afford to pay. The club can afford the wages because of the already obscene amounts of money in the game. That’s not the players fault. It’s not the clubs either to a certain extent. 

Clubs generally cannot afford it though

That's the issue as to why so many clubs are flirting with bankruptcy

Rather than mess around with arcane and ridiculous FFP rules - the authorities shgould be putting caps on wages of say 50% of income

Clubs are in dire positions due to financing wages - at all levels

• Like 2