Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Just a thought.  Sky seems very happy to give lots of soapbox time to all the opposition to these proposals . . . Could they have had their noses pushed out of the broadcast trough ?.  My youngest just had the theory that obviously a deal or deals will have been set up to show this ESL.  Amazon ?, Netflix ?.  Are Sky are thinking  “hang on a minute, these big 6/12/15 ain’t spoke to us about a broadcast deal”.  Just seems that they’ve taken a side or are more than happy to give lots of airtime to those with a certain view.  Like I say, just a thought 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It raised its popularity massively and that was down to signing exciting foreign players the glamour and the razzmatazz.  

You're talking about the PL global popularity i guess?

Well, yes. But it doesn't help when clubs are in such financial difficulty due to bowing to the demands of the players/agents which threatens the very existence of many clubs

Just now, scram said:

You're talking about the PL global popularity i guess?

Well, yes. But it doesn't help when clubs are in such financial difficulty due to bowing to the demands of the players/agents which threatens the very existence of many clubs

I'm not defending it just explaining why football has become so popular worldwide.  

7 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

For English football this all started when the PL was formed. Many forget that the clubs chose to leave the football league at this time. As the money has increased in the PL the clubs, owners, players and agents have all become too greedy - too little of this money has made its way down the football pyramid that everyone is now saying is very important.

The PL has almost become a closed shop now with just a few yo-yo teams - the parachute payments are real evidence of how little the PL cares about the EFL.

The irony of PL clubs talking about others being greedy is beyond the pale for me.

In 28 years there have been 7 different winners, there are only 6 clubs that were founding members of the PL that have not been relegated - 8 other clubs have been relegated and are currently back there.  There are 29 clubs in the other 3 divisions that have been in the Premier League.  I don’t think that’s quite the closed shop we think it is.

Undoubtedly the rich have got richer at the expense of everyone else and wages and agent payments are immoral, but I’d be interested to see how those numbers stack up against the other major European leagues.

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm not defending it just explaining why football has become so popular worldwide.  

The PL popuylarity has exploded worldwide - but the game itself has always been hugely popular globally

I suppose regarding TV audience then the PL has been the benchmark globally it's true

But the cost has been clubs dripping in debt to finance players they really cannot afford

1 minute ago, scram said:

The PL popuylarity has exploded worldwide - but the game itself has always been hugely popular globally

I suppose regarding TV audience then the PL has been the benchmark globally it's true

But the cost has been clubs dripping in debt to finance players they really cannot afford

No football popularity grew substantially because of the PL, European football and the introduction of all the glamour big wages, the off field dramas. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Shocking interview from Klopp.

Yeah, came across like a tw@t by going off on Neville. 

Utter drivel, but you know full well some of their fans will lap it up because it was aimed at a Man U legend. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Shocking interview from Klopp.

What was wrong with it?  The one I saw over hear had him basically saying  that this has nothing to do with him or the players, they fould out the same time as we did and as of yet have had no say.  He felt it was unfair to target the players and coaches for a decision they had nothing to do with.

Just now, San Clemente Owl said:

What was wrong with it?  The one I saw over hear had him basically saying  that this has nothing to do with him or the players, they fould out the same time as we did and as of yet have had no say.  He felt it was unfair to target the players and coaches for a decision they had nothing to do with.

But by not understanding the anger it distracts from the point.

3 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

In 28 years there have been 7 different winners, there are only 6 clubs that were founding members of the PL that have not been relegated - 8 other clubs have been relegated and are currently back there.  There are 29 clubs in the other 3 divisions that have been in the Premier League.  I don’t think that’s quite the closed shop we think it is.

Undoubtedly the rich have got richer at the expense of everyone else and wages and agent payments are immoral, but I’d be interested to see how those numbers stack up against the other major European leagues.

I have been quite a defender of the PL - especially when so many have disapraged it due to it not having a different title winner every year

And one of those reasons it is defendable is because it does have a variety of winners - not just one or 2 - but every season we have between 3-5 teams that can viably win it

But the amoutn of times i have seen it mocked on here with the ubiquitous "best league in the world" trotted out when Brighton play out a boring 0-0 v Burnley for eg

But the points you have stated are exactly why it probably IS the best league in the world

It's eclectic - it changes and throws up all sorts of odd results - and no little drama (remember City v QPR - AGUERO!)

But it now has to face this challenge and it needs to have an honest approach to it

The governance has been appaling for such a high value product - it needs to change and improve and if this is the catalyst that brings it about then bravo

• Like 2