Bit concerned..

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

100%.

There have been some positive signs recently, but for the majority of the season, no matter how we've lined up, we've lacked the basics of application, effort and desire.

69th minute

image.png.5c9025d898fb0b3b8d83c6318776125f.png

Reach, who has driven me to distraction this season, making that second run to get the return, when even 5 days ago he'd have given the ball to Windass and then stood still.

Much of it is the managers tactics of course. 

But players still have to push themselves to break and make those runs.

It's that desire we haven't seen enough of.

Equally at the other end.

Jordan Rhodes in amongst the muck and nettles stopped the ball going in our net.

image.png.22e8834d1b61a000335de7de15394f8d.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

The fact that no one has any real idea about how rich or not our owner is is symptomatic of the lack of transparency around the club as a whole. 
Having a personal wealth of a billion pounds doesn’t help you long term in running a club if it doesn’t generate cash. If your personal wealth is for example property you can’t spend property of players. You have to sell it to get the cash out.  If your personal wealth is in shares of a tuna business and those shares generate big annual payments of cash then you can buy players and run a club. I don’t have any clue if DC is spending his capital or his income on running the club. If it’s his capital then he’s screwed. If it’s his income then we are fine. 

https://www.forbes.com/profile/kraisorn-chansiri/?sh=7341582c47f4

Forbes say that his whole family is worth $575m which is just over £400m. Now obviously this may not be fully accurate (think they significantly overstated Trump’s wealth), it could be higher as rich people tend to move their money around offshore. 

I don’t for a moment believe the £350m figure that gets bandied about in terms of what he’s spent on us. That has to be total expenditure including the stadium sale which is just moving money from one pocket to the other, and not including revenue generated either which is well over £100m in his time here. But looking at the accounts he’s still in for about £150m.

God knows where that comes from because you can see the numbers don’t add up unless he’s borrowing from somewhere and we don’t know about it. His personal net worth was likely under £100m if the Forbes figure for the family is anything like correct 

46 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

69th minute

image.png.5c9025d898fb0b3b8d83c6318776125f.png

With respect M'Lord... the rest of your post is almost meaningless/immaterial. You could have just posted the above. 69th minute. That picture.

How many times over the last four years have we seen us have five players in the box, along with the ball, for anything other than a set-piece or the last five minutes of games we've been trailing in? (And even then, probably not more than half of games we've been trailing in either?)

Liam Palmer attacking the corner of the 6yd box ffs. That never happens.

What a breath of fresh air.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

With respect M'Lord... the rest of your post is almost meaningless/immaterial. You could have just posted the above. 69th minute. That picture.

How many times over the last four years have we seen us have five players in the box, along with the ball, for anything other than a set-piece or the last five minutes of games we've been trailing in? (And even then, probably not more than half of those scenarios either?)

Liam Palmer attacking the corner of the 6yd box ffs. That never happens.

What a breath of fresh air.

It's as true now as it's ever been...

"Attacking. Defending. Doesn't matter. They've got to be busting a gut to get in there, Seth."

Melvyn Sterland

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

https://www.forbes.com/profile/kraisorn-chansiri/?sh=7341582c47f4

Forbes say that his whole family is worth $575m which is just over £400m. Now obviously this may not be fully accurate (think they significantly overstated Trump’s wealth), it could be higher as rich people tend to move their money around offshore. 

I don’t for a moment believe the £350m figure that gets bandied about in terms of what he’s spent on us. That has to be total expenditure including the stadium sale which is just moving money from one pocket to the other, and not including revenue generated either which is well over £100m in his time here. But looking at the accounts he’s still in for about £150m.

God knows where that comes from because you can see the numbers don’t add up unless he’s borrowing from somewhere and we don’t know about it. His personal net worth was likely under £100m if the Forbes figure for the family is anything like correct 

Agreed. None of it makes sense.
The problem with a lot of this is wealth is such a rubbish measure of how much money someone has to spend. 
5 years ago I had a huge mortgage and a high paid job. I was cash rich and asset poor. I have changed my lifestyle now and paid off my mortgage but have a lower income as I’m self employed. I am now asset rich and cash poor. 5 years ago I could afford a flash car but now I can’t. But I am wealthier now than I was. 
God knows what the Chansiri families wealth and DCs in particular looks like. 

Wish he’d just sod off and take his undefined wealth (or lack of) with him!

Rotherham’s fixtures are going to be a problem for us. They play Huddersfield, Coventry and Birmingham all next week. Whatever the results are from those games it isn’t going to help us, 3 draws would probably be best.

A few weeks ago it looked like mid 40 points would be enough for survival but with Birmingham picking up form it now looks like it’ll be around 50 points needed.

We’ll take confidence from the Barnsley and Cardiff games but it’s still a huge ask for us to reach 50 points, we need 5 wins from the last 7

19 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Agreed. None of it makes sense.
The problem with a lot of this is wealth is such a rubbish measure of how much money someone has to spend. 
5 years ago I had a huge mortgage and a high paid job. I was cash rich and asset poor. I have changed my lifestyle now and paid off my mortgage but have a lower income as I’m self employed. I am now asset rich and cash poor. 5 years ago I could afford a flash car but now I can’t. But I am wealthier now than I was. 
God knows what the Chansiri families wealth and DCs in particular looks like. 

Wish he’d just sod off and take his undefined wealth (or lack of) with him!

The annual turnover of Thai Union Group is c140 billion baht. That’s 3-14billion per year. Given the economies of scale and barriers to entry for potential competitors, you would expect them to make at least 10% net return on sakes. That’s £323m every year for the owners to use as they see fit. They’ve got a bob or two. 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

The annual turnover of Thai Union Group is c140 billion baht. That’s 3-14billion per year. Given the economies of scale and barriers to entry for potential competitors, you would expect them to make at least 10% net return on sakes. That’s £323m every year for the owners to use as they see fit. They’ve got a bob or two. 

That amount of money certainly gets you a decent lifestyle in Thailand!

Guest Hornsby
14 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

That people have started to believe. 

It's too far. It's too much to do. Coventry and Birmingham WILL pick up points. 

I just worry about the effect it will have if people get their hopes up and then they are dashed as usual by Wednesday. Assume we're down and then if by some miracle we stay up it'll be a pleasant surprise. 

Got season tickets to sell

Contracts to obtain

Guest Andy W
14 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

I just worry about the effect it will have if people get their hopes up and then they are dashed as usual by Wednesday. Assume we're down and then if by some miracle we stay up it'll be a pleasant surprise. 

Dont need to assume..we ARE going down

Staying up is out of the question

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

When Pulis came in he played 1 up in every game and it was clear that he’d barely seen us play recently.. he was learning on the job effectively and had less knowledge of the team than the fans who watch us every week have 

I just can't buy that, I'm afraid.

Wrong man at the wrong time he may have been, but a manager as experienced as Pulis would know more about our team from a couple of weeks' training than I do after watching from the stands (or on ifollow) all season.

We discuss things on here until the cows come home, but ultimately we all have to accept that we're talking from a position of inexperience, ignorance and naivety. 

15 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

We are 7 points adrift with a game in hand on Birmingham

Birmingham have Stoke at the week end,

Coventry are away at Bournemouth

Huddersfield off the back of being pasted 7-0 have Rotherham at Home (they cannot both win)

We have QPR

We then have our game in hand home to Swansea

Rotherham Play QPR (hopefully after we beat them)

Then Rotherham pay Coventry 2 days later (3 games in 5 days)

Huddersfield is then away at Forest

We play Bristol City at Home

Rotherham play on Sunday against Birmingham

We then have Blackburn at home

Coventry are away at Stoke

Birmingham  are home to Forest 

Huddersfield are home to Barnsley

Also of games in the next 2 weeks but also alot of the team around us playing each other, if Rotherham can take points of Birmingham and Coventry its means if we can get wins we will catch up those above us.

At the moment a 7 point gap is easy street for those above us but if we get it down to 4 at the week end and something out of the Swansea game 1-4 points adrift come the Blackburn game you never know. I just think Huddersfield are going to be 1 of the 3 that goes down.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I agree in some aspect but at the same time I’d much rather us go down fighting, than downing tools and going down with a whimper. 

Agree. And even if we go down I won't be too depressed. Much rather watch that style of play and attacking intent in the 3rd tier, than boring Pulis-ball getting 0-0's in the Champ. We could bounce right back anyway- Moore wouldn't have taken over if he didn't have a plan in case we went down.

A total breath of fresh air watching that game. Haven't seen us play like that since 6-2 vs Leeds!

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

None of that is relevant though, it’s a listed company and they own a 19% stake. They can’t just take money out of this business and hand it over to Dejphon.

Its a £1.6bn company by market cap, which means their stake is a little over £300m. And dividend yield is 5% so they pocket about £15m a year in dividends.

A tidy sum for sure but not mega money in the context of owning a football club losing a fortune

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

None of that is relevant though, it’s a listed company and they own a 19% stake. They can’t just take money out of this business and hand it over to Dejphon.

Its a £1.6bn company by market cap, which means their stake is a little over £300m. And dividend yield is 5% so they pocket about £15m a year in dividends.

A tidy sum for sure but not mega money in the context of owning a football club losing a fortune

The problem is not so much having the money, as being able to spend it when you have it.

No club can rely on getting a Wilder or a Bielsa, so it's a financial battle with the parachute clubs every season, who're playing by different rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

If a property owner has big bucks tied up in property...and i mean big bucks he will have no problem getting loans.

It depends. If even a big time property developer says he wants to get a big loan to buy a football club someone will probably question his sanity, never mind his business sense!

It seems that there is something of a consensus that we’re going to need around 49-50 points to be in with a good shout of staying up.

That’s 14 or 15 points from our last 7 games, which is, basically, promotion form.

We’ve been at or around the bottom of the table for the whole of the season, even disregarding the 6 point deduction.

Quite why people think we’re suddenly capable of producing promotion form over these last 7 games is a mystery to me

On 06/04/2021 at 22:58, Lionel Fessi said:

Oh behave. 

Our performance last night has reignited the club. The fixtures are turning our way whilst all of Rotherham, Birmingham, Derby, Huddersfield & Coventry have difficult & contested runs. 

The facts are this time next week we could be within 2 points of all of the above with Derby still to play. It can all change so fast. 

The game on Saturday is massive, confidence will be high, best players all on form, team picks itself and another win would really confirm survival is on the cards. 

And than you woke up............