Walker, Stone, Maguire & Calvert-Lewin - what 3 things do they all have in common

11 hours ago, Siggijonsson said:

All playing for England tonight

All South Yorkshire lads

Never picked up as youth players by the biggest club in South Yorkshire - SWFC 

We really have had a rubbish youth set up over the years - but why?

Some will say they have.    😂

11 hours ago, Siggijonsson said:

All playing for England tonight

All South Yorkshire lads

Never picked up as youth players by the biggest club in South Yorkshire - SWFC 

We really have had a rubbish youth set up over the years - but why?

In my humble opinion, the reason we have ignored the development of our own players over the last 40 years is down to two thing's:

1) We, as a club, have looked for the short cut to success, by that I mean spending too much money on the immediate future, aka, the 1st team.

2) I don't think our fan base would have accepted any thing else at the time, there was, and in a lesser degree is, an arrogance about the outlook of some of our fan's.

• Love 1

The training ground has been neglected since the early nineties by successive owners and boards of directors who all had the same mindset of trying to do a quick fix rather than long term planning and as such the academy has suffered along the way, any player produced from 2000 onwards will have been down to one of three things in my opinion 

A) love for the club so therefore a desire to be here 

B) coaching in spite of the facilities 

C) Luck as in we've been lucky to find them 

The problem we had in the late 80s and nineties was the youth network, set up, scouting and coaching was determined and ran by an ego bigger than Sheffield itself and if you or your families face didn't fit or wasn't liked or you simply didn't stroke the ego's then you were cast aside 

When Barnsley went up to the Premier League with Danny Wilson in the mid nineties they spent a vast amount of the money generated on a new training facility, united bought the pitches at Shirecliffe and spent money on it and its reaped rewards, The ironic thing is these facilities are now being used as excuses and being out of date, when in reality they are state of the art compared to ours 

Chansiri is probably the one owner who has spent the most on improvements since the 80s (this is not an endorsement of the owner)

We don't just need an improvement  we need a 60-80 million pound new facility to just catch up to the top 20 training grounds in the country, we need an improved local network of scouting, we need a concise coaching plan from under 8s upwards 

You may like me think its ridiculous talking about scouting and training kids as young as 5, 6, 7 etc but its happening and we need to get involved or we will miss out my best mates lad is 7 i watched him play mid week and weekends when we could and at every game you saw scouts from Man City, Leeds, Blades and occasionally us, he was at a man city training facility at Penistone from the age of 4 to 6 and his dad pulled him out because of the travel and times he was up, he now trains with both united and wednesday and hopefully if progressing well he will have to make a decision in a few years but which club do you think is showing the most interest in him checking up on him yep its not us and his parents say although the coaching is actually better at middlewood the facilities are worlds apart 

14 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

The training ground has been neglected since the early nineties by successive owners and boards of directors who all had the same mindset of trying to do a quick fix rather than long term planning and as such the academy has suffered along the way, any player produced from 2000 onwards will have been down to one of three things in my opinion 

A) love for the club so therefore a desire to be here 

B) coaching in spite of the facilities 

C) Luck as in we've been lucky to find them 

The problem we had in the late 80s and nineties was the youth network, set up, scouting and coaching was determined and ran by an ego bigger than Sheffield itself and if you or your families face didn't fit or wasn't liked or you simply didn't stroke the ego's then you were cast aside 

When Barnsley went up to the Premier League with Danny Wilson in the mid nineties they spent a vast amount of the money generated on a new training facility, united bought the pitches at Shirecliffe and spent money on it and its reaped rewards, The ironic thing is these facilities are now being used as excuses and being out of date, when in reality they are state of the art compared to ours 

Chansiri is probably the one owner who has spent the most on improvements since the 80s (this is not an endorsement of the owner)

We don't just need an improvement  we need a 60-80 million pound new facility to just catch up to the top 20 training grounds in the country, we need an improved local network of scouting, we need a concise coaching plan from under 8s upwards 

You may like me think its ridiculous talking about scouting and training kids as young as 5, 6, 7 etc but its happening and we need to get involved or we will miss out my best mates lad is 7 i watched him play mid week and weekends when we could and at every game you saw scouts from Man City, Leeds, Blades and occasionally us, he was at a man city training facility at Penistone from the age of 4 to 6 and his dad pulled him out because of the travel and times he was up, he now trains with both united and wednesday and hopefully if progressing well he will have to make a decision in a few years but which club do you think is showing the most interest in him checking up on him yep its not us and his parents say although the coaching is actually better at middlewood the facilities are worlds apart 

"say although the coaching is actually better at middlewood the facilities are worlds apart "

Does that mean its better facilities that make players make it rather than coaching? I know its an isolated one off, but id expect that the other way around. 

4 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

"say although the coaching is actually better at middlewood the facilities are worlds apart "

Does that mean its better facilities that make players make it rather than coaching? I know its an isolated one off, but id expect that the other way around. 

I think its a combination, there's not a lot in the coaching he just says he enjoys it more  and its more structured, but I would imagine that if a decision is to be made you'd take all things into account and if its a tight choice on most things but one club is light years ahead on a certain aspect I would imagine that with most families that would swing it away from us to give their son the best chance.

at the moment  my mates lad is wednesday daft  so they could train on Concord park and he would still choose them given the choice now but as they got older they get wiser 

To be fair as far back as I remember, even going back to wilko days we've very rarely brought anyone of note through our youth system. 

Those that did bailed out to other clubs, even then we were letting players like Wetheral and newsome go instead of integrating them into the team. Even Graham Hyde who was a fantastic little player ended up at brum. 

Then you had the likes of Morrisson, geary, quinn and bromby. Who all left for very little with a or briscoe. 

I'm struggling to think of too many maybe Tommy spur as well. 

13 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

All the teams around Yorkshire have 21st century youth complexes, modern day scouting 

Wednesday are stuck in the 1990s 

Plus we never give youth a chance 

Except the early rounds of the cups

Rather tieing players like Shaw down 

DC would rather throw another few million at rubbish like bannan and Hutchinson 

In terms of the players mentioned, their development at youth level came about long before the time of DC at our club, at our time when our dedication towards any sort of academy development and progression was virtually non-existent. 

4 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Maguire all that will have got them will be  £1.2m then from the Hull to Leicester transfer? Walker about £5m. Calvert Lewin might never move!

So all in all they sold 3 players who go on to play for England and 2 of the biggest clubs in the world for tops £15m?

I’m not surprised Calvert lewin wasn’t pulling up any trees at 17/18 in league 1. At that age it isn’t about goals scored it’s about potential, which clearly Everton saw in him.

When you put it like that it doesn't seem all that great, but you have to also consider where the club was when it sold those players and then also consider what it has done with those funds, by reinvesting it, they've managed to reach the Premier League. Not only that, producing such players who all left to go and play at premier league clubs, it shows other youngsters that they can develop youngsters who go on to make big money moves.

So whilst they may have only received £15m for those 3 players, the value of doing so is much greater to the club. 

Why would any youth prospect choose us over them? Our 2 best youngsters from the past 10 years are Hirst & Shaw, for which we've earned £300k and they've both left under acrimonious circumstances, probably with very good words to say about the club.

Look at Jagielka too, went on to have a stellar career after leaving the Blades, then went back to finish his career there. We've never had anything like that. 

6 hours ago, 0742 said:

When you put it like that it doesn't seem all that great, but you have to also consider where the club was when it sold those players and then also consider what it has done with those funds, by reinvesting it, they've managed to reach the Premier League. Not only that, producing such players who all left to go and play at premier league clubs, it shows other youngsters that they can develop youngsters who go on to make big money moves.

So whilst they may have only received £15m for those 3 players, the value of doing so is much greater to the club. 

Why would any youth prospect choose us over them? Our 2 best youngsters from the past 10 years are Hirst & Shaw, for which we've earned £300k and they've both left under acrimonious circumstances, probably with very good words to say about the club.

Look at Jagielka too, went on to have a stellar career after leaving the Blades, then went back to finish his career there. We've never had anything like that. 

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’d rather be a club that produced 3 England players and only made £15m than us who produce no one, and anyone we do get snipped for next to nothing. 

• Like 1

Stones was a Barnsley product, nothing to do with the porcine mob. 

They haven't produced anyone in the last 7-8 years either. Not unless you count Ramsdale, who they sold for £1m and bought back for £19m of course. Thus negating the majority of the fees and add ons received for the 3 players mentioned...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There can’t be many clubs with a worse record than us with regards to bringing through talent 

Since 92 the only player we’ve brought through who’s had a decent PL career is Kevin Pressman. How pathetic is that 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Minton said:

Stones was a Barnsley product, nothing to do with the porcine mob. 

They haven't produced anyone in the last 7-8 years either. Not unless you count Ramsdale, who they sold for £1m and bought back for £19m of course. Thus negating the majority of the fees and add ons received for the 3 players mentioned...

So essentially, they paid £4m to move on Maguire Walker and DCL and keep Ramsdale 😂😂😂😂😂

On 31/03/2021 at 22:54, WhiteOwl91 said:

To add, three of them the pigs sold them all for a combined fee of less than £9m.

One has since gone for £80m, one for £50m and the other worth about £50m.

and yet isn't our best ever sale currently ******** steve bruce to Newcastle. Says everything you need to know.