I’ve done the maths

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

So if we lose every 45 minutes we drop 6 points further down

So that’s 12 points per game

Ten games left

120 POINTS LOST

Great 

I bet you only did scoring on darts night when they had those telephone dials, dint ya.

• Haha 1

Not sure where the 10% comes from, but just looking at current points per game (0.875) gives a grand total of 40 points come the end of the season. Looking at the final tables from the last 10 years, there has only been a couple of times when fourth from bottom has been on 44, so 40 points isn't going to be anywhere near enough.

It's going to need a tremendous upturn in form to get out of this now and unfortunately the number of teams that can be caught grows increasingly thin.  Derby will pull away and Brum are picking up some form at the right time and no way can the 12 points to QPR be overcome. So assuming Wycombe are gone,  that leaves Rotherham, Udders, Cov and Wednesday to make up the 2 remaining places, and being 6 points off the pace makes it infinitely harder.  

It's not impossible, for a team playing well, with character, bite and confidence.  But sadly, this team isn't any of those things and I think March's fixtures will finish the job anyway. 

• Thanks 1

A fellow Owl recommended this forum but warned me that it can get a little hostile at times so to be careful with my wording, hence my relatively short post. For the record I prefer the term maths as there are different types of maths such as calculus, algebra etc. Born in Sheffield the word math just doesn’t sit right with me. Hey ho.

Apologies for not explaining my calculation. My work involves algorithmic probabilities, computer models and much more that I won’t bore you with. Basically, I use as much information as possible to predict an outcome. This could be a poker hand, a game of football or the next Prime Minister. For example, when we were winning 2-0 at half time, bookmakers were around 35-1 for a Luton win. My calculation came out at around 16-1. Overpriced, so good value to invest. I didn’t as I never bet against my team. 😔 

When I inputted all the data regarding the Owls, and there is a heck of a lot of it,  the calculation came out at 9.423% chance of staying up. It seems harsh but probably correct. At the end of the day it’s only a forecast and we may well stay up. The EU referendum and Trump for President are two good examples of forecasts being way out. 
A new Manager, change of ownership, injuries, signings, remaining fixtures, form and so much more influence the final figure. If we lose to Rotherham you simply don’t want to know our odds. UTO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Itsinyourblood said:

A fellow Owl recommended this forum but warned me that it can get a little hostile at times so to be careful with my wording, hence my relatively short post. For the record I prefer the term maths as there are different types of maths such as calculus, algebra etc. Born in Sheffield the word math just doesn’t sit right with me. Hey ho.

Apologies for not explaining my calculation. My work involves algorithmic probabilities, computer models and much more that I won’t bore you with. Basically, I use as much information as possible to predict an outcome. This could be a poker hand, a game of football or the next Prime Minister. For example, when we were winning 2-0 at half time, bookmakers were around 35-1 for a Luton win. My calculation came out at around 16-1. Overpriced, so good value to invest. I didn’t as I never bet against my team. 😔 

When I inputted all the data regarding the Owls, and there is a heck of a lot of it,  the calculation came out at 9.423% chance of staying up. It seems harsh but probably correct. At the end of the day it’s only a forecast and we may well stay up. The EU referendum and Trump for President are two good examples of forecasts being way out. 
A new Manager, change of ownership, injuries, signings, remaining fixtures, form and so much more influence the final figure. If we lose to Rotherham you simply don’t want to know our odds. UTO.

Welcome to the site

Don't worry about potential hostility the only people who are like that aren't worth listening to anyway - just ignore them 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop