Would going down be so bad?

lose 7 million sky money ,not able to sign any players , big clubs in league 1/2 no longer exist due to 2.5/1.5 million max wage bills . to say its critical we stay up cant be shouted loud enough . its not 2005 pandemic and new wage rules make it an absolute disaster going down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

1. Why are we a big fish?

6. How do we know crowds will be allowed back?

6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

YES

If we went down:

We'd still have our club
We'd still have our team
We'd still have our heroes
We'd still have our shirts
We'd still have our badge

We'd still have our programmes
We'd still have our atmosphere (when allowed back)
We'd still have beers, banter and fun
We'd win more games

We'd see different stadiums
We'd be more successful
We'd have more chance of a promotion season

We MIGHT even have more realistic pricing 

What would we miss?
We'd not get battered every week
We'd not have to spend gazillions on players and wages anymore

We could return to more of a community vibe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think the new wage structure in league one makes it a far more level playing field. It’s not possible to spend your way out of it any longer. We’re far better off staying up and rebuilding the project in championship than in league1. 

Understand your point but will be trying to rebuild at a huge disadvantage in the Championship as per the reasons in the OP? Would it potentially easier to knock things down and start again in League 1 where we might be expected to succeed rather than struggle ?