Just now, Mcguigan said:

Well you say in LG 1 our fan base revenue would be great for P&S rules. Then you say we’d be on tv loads which is great for P&S.

Then you say that LG1 operates in a completely different way to the Championship so P&S is irrelevant.

In League 1, if we have a higher revenue stream than our rivals we have an advantage as salaries are capped to a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages

“Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions”

I posted the link in this thread. Our net financial situation in League 1 should improve. Whether we take advantage of that is a different matter. 

We wouldn’t want it to be a level playing field. Given as you’ve stated we’d be one of the strongest teams financially with our crowds, attempts to level up are to the detriment of us.

The TV games are few and far between.. I’ve only seen a handful advertised on sky whereas Championship games are on 2-3 times a week.

Personally I don’t find being down there enjoyable. Of the 4 seasons we spent at that level since 2000, the two where we didn’t get promoted were massive low points with many bad results against terrible teams, the likes of Yeovil and Rushden & Diamonds. Literally sound like pub teams. The two promotion seasons were ok.. but not particularly enjoyable as it just feels like you have to get promoted as playing below our level. The end of 2011/12 was obviously satisfying given we stole promotion off Utd but that was unique and it was only the last half a dozen games where it was like that.

Utd spent 6 years down there and Sunderland are on year 3 and not close to getting back up. There’s no guarantee it would be a short stint and given we’re rudderless that’s even more likely. There’s nothing to be gained by going down.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

it always assumed we will win matches in a division below.

It isn't as easy as you think, we're playing in everyone else's cup final, and you need excellent win consistency to get promoted.

I would be delighted to stay up, and hope we can rebuild a bit for next season - that will not be easy either!

Fair point. I didn’t say it would be easier to win matches. I’m suggesting it may be easier to rebuild in League 1 than in the Championship. Please check the link I posted and you’ll understand why. 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We wouldn’t want it to be a level playing field. Given as you’ve stated we’d be one of the strongest teams financially with our crowds, attempts to level up are to the detriment of us.

The TV games are few and far between.. I’ve only seen a handful advertised on sky whereas Championship games are on 2-3 times a week.

Personally I don’t find being down there enjoyable. Of the 4 seasons we spent at that level since 2000, the two where we didn’t get promoted were massive low points with many bad results against terrible teams, the likes of Yeovil and Rushden & Diamonds. Literally sound like pub teams. The two promotion seasons were ok.. but not particularly enjoyable as it just feels like you have to get promoted as playing below our level. The end of 2011/12 was obviously satisfying given we stole promotion off Utd but that was unique and it was only the last half a dozen games where it was like that.

Utd spent 6 years down there and Sunderland are on year 3 and not close to getting back up. There’s no guarantee it would be a short stint and given we’re rudderless that’s even more likely. There’s nothing to be gained by going down.

Well argued

While ever Chansiri is here there’s always the chance that we’ll have further embargos and points deductions

Unfortunately we have an owner completely and hopefully out of his depth  and not in touch with reality 

Just now, Django said:

While ever Chansiri is here there’s always the chance that we’ll have further embargos and points deductions

Unfortunately we have an owner completely and hopefully out of his depth  and not in touch with reality 

Shenanigans 

0D628BB9-6243-4D22-8813-73F14DD3FA60.png

12 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

If it signals the end of Chansiri then maybe it's a small price to pay.

He really isn’t going anywhere 

Well not until Att is 18 anyway 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Going down isn’t the end of the world. We’ve been there before and come back. 

My worry is under our current owner, I think he’s that inept at running a football club that we could be down there a while.

Or down again and end up in the bottom div..

15 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

In League 1, if we have a higher revenue stream than our rivals we have an advantage as salaries are capped to a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages

“Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions”

I posted the link in this thread. Our net financial situation in League 1 should improve. Whether we take advantage of that is a different matter. 

The link you posted for LG 1 and 2 is out of date.

There is now a salary cap not a % of income.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If we went down:

We'd still have our club
We'd still have our team
We'd still have our heroes
We'd still have our shirts
We'd still have our badge

We'd still have our programmes
We'd still have our atmosphere (when allowed back)
We'd still have beers, banter and fun
We'd win more games

We'd see different stadiums
We'd be more successful
We'd have more chance of a promotion season

We MIGHT even have more realistic pricing 

What would we miss?
We'd not get battered every week
We'd not have to spend gazillions on players and wages anymore

We could return to more of a community vibe

Tbh tho most of the above listed aside from maybe wages we can get staying in this league.

I remember when we dropped out of the top flight and my old man going "least we get to see wednesday win alot more games in this division"

20 odd years later and I'm still waiting to see Wednesday win alot more games

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If we went down:

We'd still have our club
We'd still have our team
We'd still have our heroes
We'd still have our shirts
We'd still have our badge

We'd still have our programmes
We'd still have our atmosphere (when allowed back)
We'd still have beers, banter and fun
We'd win more games

We'd see different stadiums
We'd be more successful
We'd have more chance of a promotion season

We MIGHT even have more realistic pricing 

What would we miss?
We'd not get battered every week
We'd not have to spend gazillions on players and wages anymore

We could return to more of a community vibe

I think if we went down, with all the players out of contract, DC and Piaxo doing the recruitment we'd be in a relegation fight in League One next season!

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

Been saying this for a while mate

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Most feel we need a new owner anyway

Yes, but not on league one revenues. No guarantee the next owner would have cash to burn. A rebuild in a lower division could be very difficult. Might take years to come back.

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Going down isn’t the end of the world. We’ve been there before and come back. 

My worry is under our current owner, I think he’s that inept at running a football club that we could be down there a while.

Theres a league below that one as well