8 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please no comments about the appalling mismanagement of the club at the top. It’s too depressing and no one can predict the next act   I’ll call Shenanigans if this becomes a DC thread. There are plenty of them. 

But if we do go down consider the following

1. We would be a big fish in a little pond. 
2. This should help us to attract the best players in League 1

3. This should help us attract a manager ambitious to succeed at League 1 level

4. We can offload 15 out of contract players giving a new manager the opportunity to build his own “project” with a balanced squad of hungry players, round pegs in round holes etc.

5. We will be on a level playing field regarding wages given the cap in League 1

6. If we start to do well, history tells us we will get big crowds = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

7. We should be one of the more attractive teams for TV games in League 1 = big revenue = big advantage under P&S

8. Please correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t our financial performance under Championship P&S regulations be reset for 3 years as League 1 operates under completely different criteria?  Therefore no financial baggage to weigh is down. 
9. We might enjoy our football again.

10. If persuaded to stay, some of our own like Shaw, Penney, Galvin. Wildsmith etc might be able to shine which is always nice for building the connection between club and fans.  

Basically what everyone thought last time we went down and the time before that. 

No guarantees at coming straight back up, just look at sunderland and Ipswich ffs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Relegation is always a disaster, complete and absolute, for any club in any league.  Even more so when finances are on a cliff edge already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Thanks for your informed and considered response 

1B3DC410-4340-4D53-BDCE-72C534BC164C.jpeg

Your welcome!

one of my favourite seasons following Wednesday was the mind the gap season in league one ....but...omfg that league is horrific, there's no way in our current state we would come back up first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, morganowl said:

lose 7 million sky money ,not able to sign any players , big clubs in league 1/2 no longer exist due to 2.5/1.5 million max wage bills . to say its critical we stay up cant be shouted loud enough . its not 2005 pandemic and new wage rules make it an absolute disaster going down.

Genuine question. Why don’t you think the new wage rules would help us? Means harder to overspend like in the nineties and 2017. Also means no Dutch auction for the best League 1 players which should therefore favour our history, facilities and fanbase. 

If we do get relegated, the first thing that clown running the club needs to do is stop pricing fans out of attending football matches at Hillsborough.

£640 early bird price on the South Stand to watch third division football is a f**king joke and if he doesn’t address this, attendances are Hillsborough will be as low as I’ve ever known.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Just now, S72 Owl said:

Not entirely surely how the wage caps works for relegated teams. Anyone know the exact rules?

I don't think Chansiri knows the rules for paying players in a non wage cap league so  doesn't really affect us

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Andy W said:

1. Why are we a big fish?

6. How do we know crowds will be allowed back?

1. In terms of stadium, history, average attendance, facilities. 
6. Fair point. However if fans aren’t allowed back it will be harder to carry the higher costs in the Championship and we couldn’t reset our accounts in terms of P&S

2 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

I don't think Chansiri knows the rules for paying players in a non wage cap league so  doesn't really affect us

Could be all part of Chansiris plan.

7k a month wage cap. 

• Like 2

Given that the majority of contracts are up then we wouldn’t be taking big wages down to league 1 but our income streams would decrease so we would be restrained just as much, if not more, by FFP.

Would we get a team together that would take us back up? I think this very unlikely as if our owner and recruitment team can’t recruit for the Championship then it’s unlikely they would fair any better in league 1. 

I Honestly think that we will go down and we will be ‘restructuring’ for the next 5 years. Will we then still have a club? Who knows!

8 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Understand your point but will be trying to rebuild at a huge disadvantage in the Championship as per the reasons in the OP? Would it potentially easier to knock things down and start again in League 1 where we might be expected to succeed rather than struggle ?

No. It would be easier to recruit players where we can pay them more than 2k per week. If we can’t keep players like shaw now you have no hope in league 1. 

we’ve been paying for past transfer, finance mistakes for last 3-4 years. Next year is the first without any crazy salaries holding us back. 

Some good points being made in response. A couple of key ones for me. Firstly, the salary cap recently imposed in LG 1 will to a large extent dilute the ‘big fish in a small pond’ advantage that we’ve had on occasion before. Secondly,  with what seems to be the level of apathy currently existing it begs the question just how big would our crowds be in Lg1 to underpin our big fish status? Personally, I think it would be a disaster

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Disaster, especially under this ownership.

The only positive that could possibly come from relegation would be if DC decided enough was enough and cut his loses. (Highly unlikely)

The real danger for us is that downward momentum is incredibly hard to stop. Every team in that league would relish a trip to S6 and sticking it to a perceived "big club" 

Nightmare scenario IMO.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1