Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Relegation would be a disaster and would set us back years.  We’ve got to stay up and hopefully Chairman Chansiri will want out and cut his losses. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Not entirely surely how the wage caps works for relegated teams. Anyone know the exact rules?

 

We only gave eight players under contract at the end of the season, we should fit in the wage cap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it always assumed we will win matches in a division below.

 

It isn't as easy as you think, we're playing in everyone else's cup final, and you need excellent win consistency to get promoted.

 

I would be delighted to stay up, and hope we can rebuild a bit for next season - that will not be easy either!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Why would stadium/history/ attendances (possibly) and facilities (for players or spectators) make a difference.

Its not helped Sunderland has it?

I don’t know Andy. But if I had the opportunity as a Championship player to join Wednesday or the majority of other clubs I would not choose Wednesday at the moment (and like you, I’m a supporter). If I was a League One player I might prefer to join Sheffield Wednesday than join Wigan, Fleetwood, Northampton, Gillingham, Blackpool, Accrington etc. Especially if they were all offering the same money. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

It would be a disaster for us to go down again and we wouldn't be considered the big fish of the division. 

 

Last time we were among the very few big clubs in the league with Charlton, Southampton/Pigs. This time the league is much stronger. Potentially competing with

Sunderland 

Portsmouth

Ipswich 

Hull

Wigan

Birmingham 

Derby 

Fair point but personally would believe we are a bigger draw in League 1 than Ipswich, Hull & Wigan

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Going down would be a disaster

 

I never understand the good to go down / too early to go up mentality 

 

If you get a chance to be higher up, you have to take it

To be fair I didn’t suggest it would be good to go down. Not my point. I’m wondering if a positive of relegation might be an easier reset to build again than constantly struggling to stay in the Championship with short term fix after short term fix. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair I didn’t suggest it would be good to go down. Not my point. I’m wondering if a positive of relegation might be an easier reset to build again than constantly struggling to stay in the Championship with short term fix after short term fix. 


I think it makes everything worse - if we’re lucky enough to survive, then it’s a better platform to rebuild from

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no benefits from relegations, regardless of the league. 
 

We’re in financial trouble now; take away the money from the championship and it’s only going to get worse. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:


Genuine question. Why don’t you think the new wage rules would help us? Means harder to overspend like in the nineties and 2017. Also means no Dutch auction for the best League 1 players which should therefore favour our history, facilities and fanbase. 

Sunderland more than match our history, have far better facilities and a much bigger fan base.

 

They’re currently 10 pts behind the mighty Lincoln City.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I don’t know Andy. But if I had the opportunity as a Championship player to join Wednesday or the majority of other clubs I would not choose Wednesday at the moment (and like you, I’m a supporter). If I was a League One player I might prefer to join Sheffield Wednesday than join Wigan, Fleetwood, Northampton, Gillingham, Blackpool, Accrington etc. Especially if they were all offering the same money. 

I agree..lets hope we stay up then!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the regulations for financial fair play in League One (SCMP) They are different to the Championship. They would create a more level player playing field for us than in the Championship where we have to contend with parachute payments. If we are relegated and we are not penalised under P&S in the Championship we would get a salary advantage over current league one teams. (Transitional Arrangements) 

 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Sunderland more than match our history, have far better facilities and a much bigger fan base.

 

They’re currently 10 pts behind the mighty Lincoln City.


I understand your point but Sunderlands ability to attract players and their commercial worth to the TV companies still stands even though their on field performances are not great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Not my fault you were bullied at school !!!

Anything constructive to add? What research is missing in your opinion?

 

Well you say in LG 1 our fan base revenue would be great for P&S rules. Then you say we’d be on tv loads which is great for P&S.

 

Then you say that LG1 operates in a completely different way to the Championship so P&S is irrelevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rogers said:

There are no benefits from relegations, regardless of the league. 
 

We’re in financial trouble now; take away the money from the championship and it’s only going to get worse. 

Not if costs are reduced too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Normally relegation is relegation. 

Take it one the chin. Rebuild.

 

With the way things are at the minute. 

With so many contracts up. Including that of our 'lesser' players and our youth players who've been introduced to the first team it really would be starting from scratch. 

 

The loss in TV money, on top of all the other losses. 

And I'll be honest, would I trust our recruitment team to know anything about the sort of players required to tackle the 3rd division? - No.

 

I think the chairman would be become even more distant. 

Some would say that's a good thing, and I see that as a general perspective. But realistically with no DoF and no day to day CEO it would only leave those here day to day further in the mire.  

 

Totally snd utterly frustrated. 

 

Staying up won't solve any of our issues. But at least it keeps us at base camp. 

But going down ...

 

Honestly. I dread to think, and about as happy-clapper as they come.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:


I understand your point but Sunderlands ability to attract players and their commercial worth to the TV companies still stands even though their on field performances are not great. 

 

I thought the whole point was winning games? 

They have a huge commercial advantage but can't get out of the 3rd division. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...