How Our January Transfer Window Compares To Our Rivals'...

That's the January transfer window done, then. Barring free agents (which is all we've signed anyway, of course), we have to go with what we've got to see us through until the end of the season, as do our relegation rivals.

So how do we reckon our business stacks up against the rest of the bottom half of the Championship, who we'll be battling against to avoid the drop into League One over the next three months?

Who are the biggest winners / losers in your eyes?

And will our failure to add a centre forward prove to be decisive in the final reckoning, or do you see us overhauling at least two of the teams above us?

All the January signings are listed against teams' league positions below, so you can see how things currently stand and who they've added.

13 Luton 26 33 - Kal Naismith, Tom Ince, Dion Pereira, TQ Addy, Jack Chambers, Gabriel Osho (6 signings)

14 Huddersfield 27 32 - Danny Grant, Rolando Aarons, Jayson Leutwiler, Sorba Thomas, Richard Keogh, Duane Holmes (6)

15 Cardiff 26 31- Max Watters, Perry Ng, Jonathan Williams (3)

16 Millwall 26 31- Maikel Kieftenbeld, George Evans (2)

17 QPR 26 30 - Charlie Austin, Jordy de Wijs, Stefan Johansen, Joe Walsh (4)

18 Coventry 26 30 - Matty James, Viktor Gyökeres, Josh Reid, Fabio Tavares, Lee Camp (5)

19 Derby 26 28 - Teden Mengi, Lee Gregory, George Edmundson, Patrick Roberts (4)

20 Birmingham 26 27 - Sam Cosgrove, Rekeem Harper, Keyendrah Simmonds, Alen Halilovic (4)

21 Nottm Forest 26 26 - Filip Krovinovic, James Garner, Glenn Murray (3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 Rotherham 24 23 - Ryan Giles, Lewis Wing, Josh Vickers (3)

23 Sheff Wed 25 22 - Sam Hutchinson, Andre Green (2)

24 Wycombe 24 15 - Admiral Muskwe, Jordan Obita, Nnamdi Ofoborh, Garath McCleary, James Clark (5)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 7

Forest bringing in Krovinovic and Murray have pulled it out the bag, 2 top Champoonship players. 

QPR aswell, they looked to be drifting towards the relegation zone but bringing in Charlie Austin is a game changer. Already scored twice and won 3 of the 4 games since his arrival. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Not in your list but I think Bournemouth picking up the vastly experienced and still very fit Shane Long is a great bit of business. 

Hope he doesn’t play tonight.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I saw that one this morning.

He could be a real asset at this level.

• Like 1

We needed a striker (or two) and a left back. So what do we go and do? 

Basically we've signed a kid that's been having a kickabout in the park, and another one that's come back from a holiday to Cyprus. Embarrassing.

Don't worry though, we've got Jordan Rhodes and Jack Marriott. :Chansiri:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's the January transfer window done, then. Barring free agents (which is all we've signed anyway, of course), we have to go with what we've got to see us through until the end of the season, as do our relegation rivals.

So how do we reckon our business stacks up against the rest of the bottom half of the Championship, who we'll be battling against to avoid the drop into League One over the next three months?

Who are the biggest winners / losers in your eyes?

And will our failure to add a centre forward prove to be decisive in the final reckoning, or do you see us overhauling at least two of the teams above us?

All the January signings are listed against teams' league positions below, so you can see how things currently stand and who they've added.

13 Luton 26 33 - Kal Naismith, Tom Ince, Dion Pereira, TQ Addy, Jack Chambers, Gabriel Osho (6 signings)

14 Huddersfield 27 32 - Danny Grant, Rolando Aarons, Jayson Leutwiler, Sorba Thomas, Richard Keogh, Duane Holmes (6)

15 Cardiff 26 31- Max Watters, Perry Ng, Jonathan Williams (3)

16 Millwall 26 31- Maikel Kieftenbeld, George Evans (2)

17 QPR 26 30 - Charlie Austin, Jordy de Wijs, Stefan Johansen, Joe Walsh (4)

18 Coventry 26 30 - Matty James, Viktor Gyökeres, Josh Reid, Fabio Tavares, Lee Camp (5)

19 Derby 26 28 - Teden Mengi, Lee Gregory, George Edmundson, Patrick Roberts (4)

20 Birmingham 26 27 - Sam Cosgrove, Rekeem Harper, Keyendrah Simmonds, Alen Halilovic (4)

21 Nottm Forest 26 26 - Filip Krovinovic, James Garner, Glenn Murray (3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 Rotherham 24 23 - Ryan Giles, Lewis Wing, Josh Vickers (3)

23 Sheff Wed 25 22 - Sam Hutchinson, Andre Green (2)

24 Wycombe 24 15 - Admiral Muskwe, Jordan Obita, Nnamdi Ofoborh, Garath McCleary, James Clark (5)

I think that shows exactly where we're at , everyone around us has strengthened, some significantly.

We are just clinging on to what we have to got to get us through , with Thompson at the helm ( previous experience York, Boston utd, Scarborough 😳) , a squad that is very short on goals , defenders and midfielder's constantly injured and young players not seeing their future here along with half the squad out of contract in June.

It doesn't bode well I'm afraid , how much longer can we keep scraping home wins for? If we go behind in games we are finished.

Anyway let's hope we do have enough to survive this season.

• Like 2

Guest Hornsby

You've seen the film. We are Moneyball without the money.

Imagine Bob Bean in Gresty Rd office.

PAXO - £500 k for your left back, paid in Summer by IOU.

Bob - errr, Blackburn offered £600 k.

Paxo - I'll waive my usual buying commission. ......Hello, Hello, Are you still there....?

Only team I'd be 'worried' about in terms of January recruitment is Forest, who have picked up some decent players at the pointy end of the field, other than that its all a bit meh.

I wonder whether the fans who complain at no signings are the same as complain when we make signings and they turn out to be gash.

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not in your list but I think Bournemouth picking up the vastly experienced and still very fit Shane Long is a great bit of business. 

Hope he doesn’t play tonight.

Yep, they selll King for 5m and bring in another good striker for this division.

Unlike us who just sell/release ours in one go and replace with a fat right back who is slower than me and I'm 50 !

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Only team I'd be 'worried' about in terms of January recruitment is Forest, who have picked up some decent players at the pointy end of the field, other than that its all a bit meh.

I wonder whether the fans who complain at no signings are the same as complain when we make signings and they turn out to be gash.

And why is it wrong to complain about both making NO signings and bad signings?!

Seems pretty logical to be unhappy with both of those scenarios to me. 

• Like 6

On the plus side no bedding in time required for our squad

lol 

seriously though I thought we may have got a few loans in, I didn’t expect any permanent signings