How Our January Transfer Window Compares To Our Rivals'...

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Admire the positivity but three managers and endless permutations this season, haven’t got our forwards firing  The problem is, not necessarily that we didn’t bring in a goalscorer, we didn’t bring in the type of forward who would maybe bring the others into play No manager in the world would get that front line firing. The mix of forwards we have, all require a target man to play off. In our set up, it’s a strategic position. Would we dream of playing without a keeper, however heroic the back four were. 
If we played a different game, a possession game, with players interchanging and making runs off the ball, then maybe a target man would not be so crucial. We don’t though, and nor do I suggest that we change course at this stage of the season. The answer must now lie amongst the free agents. We simply have to bring someone in who will allow our front players to function as a unit

Completely agree with your views on Banton and changing the way we play this season. What did strike me at the weekend was Kachunga seemed to drop in as a second forward and also won more than his fair share of headers. My point being, whatever combination we turn out, we need to stick with two forwards, playing no more than 10 yards apart. For me, our best performance of the season was at Cardiff, where Rhodes and Windass were a threat.

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I just get annoy we have had another awful transfer window but i can already see it, Derby have only got 4 players, QPR only signed 3 blah blah blah.

We needed not players to build a squad we need first 11 players. We are an injury or too from being Relegated by March. The only blessing is hopefully tonight's game is off. 

I think most are aware of the shortcomings of our squad, and despite one or two posters yesterday trying to pretend that we'd done more business than most of our rivals, that's clearly not the case.

Yes, the context is important, and we started from a position of having to play catch-up, particularly in the goal-scoring stakes, but even ignoring that, none of our bottom-half rivals have added fewer players than us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the hope that gets ya in the end !!
Personally think Penney will play in the left back role for the rest of the season -  basically to see what he's got in the locker (see if he's fighting for a new contract).

Looking at other business at the bottom end of the Championship, a lot of the teams are exactly same as us, not scoring,  but we are the league's lowest scorers, so expected this to be addressed.
Dissapointed that we didn't make a move for anyone really, but with the recent sh!tshow that our club has become cant say I was totally surprised.

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Forest bringing in Krovinovic and Murray have pulled it out the bag, 2 top Champoonship players. 

QPR aswell, they looked to be drifting towards the relegation zone but bringing in Charlie Austin is a game changer. Already scored twice and won 3 of the 4 games since his arrival. 

Not convinced by Murray at 37. He had a poor year last season and didn't impress at Watford at this level earlier this season. I'd much rather have him than get nobody though.

Agree about QPR, thought they looked really poor and predicted them to struggle. They are not safe yet but Austin has made a big difference. 

At the end of the day, none of us probably know what our rivals really needed, and whether they got it or not. What we all knew, is what we needed, and we didn’t get it. With such a poor goalscoring capability, we will be up against it. Once an opponent has scored against us, we are pretty much done for, in terms of getting a win We are unlikely to escape the drop all the while that remains the case

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

It's the hope that gets ya in the end !!
Personally think Penney will play in the left back role for the rest of the season -  basically to see what he's got in the locker (see if he's fighting for a new contract).

Looking at other business at the bottom end of the Championship, a lot of the teams are exactly same as us, not scoring,  but we are the league's lowest scorers, so expected this to be addressed.
Dissapointed that we didn't make a move for anyone really, but with the recent sh!tshow that our club has become cant say I was totally surprised.

We will play three at the back for the remainder I think and Penney will fight it out with Reach for the left wingback slot.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At the end of the day, none of us probably know what our rivals really needed, and whether they got it or not. What we all knew, is what we needed, and we didn’t get it. With such a poor goalscoring capability, we will be up against it. Once an opponent has scored against us, we are pretty much done for, in terms of getting a win We are unlikely to escape the drop all the while that remains the case

Who knows what we may achieve between now and the end of the season. We may stumble on something with Marriott or Rhodes that works. 

We are a typical win one, lose one type of team though. So I don't think our season is done for just yet.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's the January transfer window done, then. Barring free agents (which is all we've signed anyway, of course), we have to go with what we've got to see us through until the end of the season, as do our relegation rivals.

So how do we reckon our business stacks up against the rest of the bottom half of the Championship, who we'll be battling against to avoid the drop into League One over the next three months?

Who are the biggest winners / losers in your eyes?

And will our failure to add a centre forward prove to be decisive in the final reckoning, or do you see us overhauling at least two of the teams above us?

All the January signings are listed against teams' league positions below, so you can see how things currently stand and who they've added.

13 Luton 26 33 - Kal Naismith, Tom Ince, Dion Pereira, TQ Addy, Jack Chambers, Gabriel Osho (6 signings)

14 Huddersfield 27 32 - Danny Grant, Rolando Aarons, Jayson Leutwiler, Sorba Thomas, Richard Keogh, Duane Holmes (6)

15 Cardiff 26 31- Max Watters, Perry Ng, Jonathan Williams (3)

16 Millwall 26 31- Maikel Kieftenbeld, George Evans (2)

17 QPR 26 30 - Charlie Austin, Jordy de Wijs, Stefan Johansen, Joe Walsh (4)

18 Coventry 26 30 - Matty James, Viktor Gyökeres, Josh Reid, Fabio Tavares, Lee Camp (5)

19 Derby 26 28 - Teden Mengi, Lee Gregory, George Edmundson, Patrick Roberts (4)

20 Birmingham 26 27 - Sam Cosgrove, Rekeem Harper, Keyendrah Simmonds, Alen Halilovic (4)

21 Nottm Forest 26 26 - Filip Krovinovic, James Garner, Glenn Murray (3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 Rotherham 24 23 - Ryan Giles, Lewis Wing, Josh Vickers (3)

23 Sheff Wed 25 22 - Sam Hutchinson, Andre Green (2)

24 Wycombe 24 15 - Admiral Muskwe, Jordan Obita, Nnamdi Ofoborh, Garath McCleary, James Clark (5)

I'd say we will be battling it out with Rotherham and Birmingham. Also say Forest, Derby and QPR are the biggest winners and we're the biggest losers. 

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

Forest bringing in Krovinovic and Murray have pulled it out the bag, 2 top Champoonship players. 

QPR aswell, they looked to be drifting towards the relegation zone but bringing in Charlie Austin is a game changer. Already scored twice and won 3 of the 4 games since his arrival. 

Forest also bringing in Garner on loan from Man Utd who we were linked with in the summer. He hasn't had the game time at Watford, but looked really good when he came on against us at Hillsborough in the 2nd game of the season. He will help them to create chances and is really good at set pieces too. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's the January transfer window done, then. Barring free agents (which is all we've signed anyway, of course), we have to go with what we've got to see us through until the end of the season, as do our relegation rivals.

So how do we reckon our business stacks up against the rest of the bottom half of the Championship, who we'll be battling against to avoid the drop into League One over the next three months?

Who are the biggest winners / losers in your eyes?

And will our failure to add a centre forward prove to be decisive in the final reckoning, or do you see us overhauling at least two of the teams above us?

All the January signings are listed against teams' league positions below, so you can see how things currently stand and who they've added.

13 Luton 26 33 - Kal Naismith, Tom Ince, Dion Pereira, TQ Addy, Jack Chambers, Gabriel Osho (6 signings)

14 Huddersfield 27 32 - Danny Grant, Rolando Aarons, Jayson Leutwiler, Sorba Thomas, Richard Keogh, Duane Holmes (6)

15 Cardiff 26 31- Max Watters, Perry Ng, Jonathan Williams (3)

16 Millwall 26 31- Maikel Kieftenbeld, George Evans (2)

17 QPR 26 30 - Charlie Austin, Jordy de Wijs, Stefan Johansen, Joe Walsh (4)

18 Coventry 26 30 - Matty James, Viktor Gyökeres, Josh Reid, Fabio Tavares, Lee Camp (5)

19 Derby 26 28 - Teden Mengi, Lee Gregory, George Edmundson, Patrick Roberts (4)

20 Birmingham 26 27 - Sam Cosgrove, Rekeem Harper, Keyendrah Simmonds, Alen Halilovic (4)

21 Nottm Forest 26 26 - Filip Krovinovic, James Garner, Glenn Murray (3)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22 Rotherham 24 23 - Ryan Giles, Lewis Wing, Josh Vickers (3)

23 Sheff Wed 25 22 - Sam Hutchinson, Andre Green (2)

24 Wycombe 24 15 - Admiral Muskwe, Jordan Obita, Nnamdi Ofoborh, Garath McCleary, James Clark (5)

Derby signed at least five players 

Owlstalk Shop

Interesting to see that some of those teams managed to sign half decent strikers which I believe will be key. If we go down, it will be because we failed to sign a striker capable of holding the ball up front, and with the idea in the back of his head that scoring goals as a striker might be a useful skill to have.

But we are where we are, and we know why, and who is to blame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Interesting to see that some of those teams managed to sign half decent strikers which I believe will be key. If we go down, it will be because we failed to sign a striker capable of holding the ball up front, and with the idea in the back of his head that scoring goals as a striker might be a useful skill to have.

But we are where we are, and we know why, and who is to blame.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/8304/Stages/18825/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2020-2021

24th in the table for goals

24th in the table for shots per game

23rd in the table for average game possession.

All of which could be greatly improved upon by having a presence in attack. This has been plain to see as the main requirement of improving our squad since July 2020. 

Christ, I can’t believe how negative people are on here this morning!

Only joking!!

Of course I can. We are royally fooooooookered!!

Off the pitch=shambles

On the pitch=worrying 

Manager situation=baffling

Transfer window=shybo

Players set to leave at end of season=terrifying 

It’s an end to end crap fest. Of course there’s a slim chance we will stay up but I’m talking Karen Carpenter levels of thinness!

Im thinking relegation followed by L1 mid table for a good few years. Or maybe even ‘the full Wigan’ if we are not careful. 

Hey ho. Bournemouth tonight! Another match to watch on the bog!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/8304/Stages/18825/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2020-2021

24th in the table for goals

24th in the table for shots per game

23rd in the table for average game possession.

All of which could be greatly improved upon by having a presence in attack. This has been plain to see as the main requirement of improving our squad since July 2020. 

I’m with you mate, don’t worry about that. A blind egg chaser could identify our main problem at the moment, and his guide dog, though our owner doesn’t see an issue obviously. 

• Haha 1

Anyone may think that the clubs being deliberately run into the ground, though i'd never for once think it myself, the thought of someone doing dodgy stuff at this club, which has been proven to be a bastion of honesty and good practice, indeed the EFL even rewarded the club with a reduction in the points deduction..... because we operate so honestly. WTF:

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Anyone may think that the clubs being deliberately run into the ground, though i'd never for once think it myself, the thought of someone doing dodgy stuff at this club, which has been proven to be a bastion of honesty and good practice, indeed the EFL even rewarded the club with a reduction in the points deduction..... because we operate so honestly. WTF:

I may have misunderstood but are you suggesting we were bought by Neil Warnock and Mr C is simply the frontman? lol

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Shaw staying though. That’s like having a new player surely?

Trying to find some positives as per!

We will soon find out if he is allowed to play without signing a new contract, wouldn't be the first time.......