Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Rather we invested that small compensation in ensuring Urhoghide is secured and doesn't walk away for peanuts. 

MUCH more bothered about this one.

If we let him go in similar circumstances I’ll be irate 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

Here’s a little scenario, not trying to apportion or absolve any blame here.  Not suggesting this is what happened. 

June/June 2019

Club: Hi Liam, can you and your agent pop in for a chat about your contract.

*Shaw and his agent turn up for the meeting as requested. 

Club: We think you are progressing nicely and have some real potential, we’d like you to extend your contract by a further 12 months

Shaw/Agent: Thanks for believing in me means a lot, what’s in it for me?

Club: Well you’ve not really broken into the first team yet, but we do think you have potential so we are prepared to increase your wages for £500/week to £750/week. 

*agent now takes over the negotiations 

Agent: Thanks for the offer but I think Liam is worth more than that 

Club: Ok well what if we made it £1000/week?

Agent: No thanks, I can get Liam a better deal if we run down his contract.  So we aren’t going to sign the extension. 

You are negotiating for the club what’s your next move?

Loan him back?

He will possibly never be accepted by fans again.

Similarly if he is poor for Celtic and gifts Rangers a goal he will be an English tw@.

Football fans are fickle. No matter what happens they will always turn against when the situation arrives.

Is it right? No, but that's the nature of the business.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

Maybe it's not done and dusted just yet based on this quote from Bannan today....

'I can only speak for myself. I don't really want to get involved in other people. I don't think it is done. It's up to the club, Shawwy and the chairman to speak about it.

He has come in and done really well. He has taken to the team really well. He can play a number of positions. He has still got a lot to learn. If he can keep that up, he has got a bright future'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Maybe it's not done and dusted just yet based on this quote from Bannan today....

'I can only speak for myself. I don't really want to get involved in other people. I don't think it is done. It's up to the club, Shawwy and the chairman to speak about it.

He has come in and done really well. He has taken to the team really well. He can play a number of positions. He has still got a lot to learn. If he can keep that up, he has got a bright future'

The club gets more bizarre by the day. So our captain who you would think speaks to Shaw on a daily basis is saying it's not done yet it has been reported as being done by the local press. I genuinely don't know but is it possible to back out of a pre-contract agreement? If so is it possible that Bannan has been in the chairman's hear to convince him to match Celtics deal? 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That is the rumour to be fair - has been for a couple of weeks

To be fair that would be more of a kick in the balls than the Shaw one for me. It's one thing not competing with Celtic but to be out gunned by QPR would be a disgrace. 

Just now, wmb said:

The club gets more bizarre by the day. So our captain who you would think speaks to Shaw on a daily basis is saying it's not done yet it has been reported as being done by the local press. I genuinely don't know but is it possible to back out of a pre-contract agreement? If so is it possible that Bannan has been in the chairman's hear to convince him to match Celtics deal? 

Well, the word is senior players do have Chansiri's ear and they don't come more senior at this club than Bannan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wmb said:

To be fair that would be more of a kick in the balls than the Shaw one for me. It's one thing not competing with Celtic but to be out gunned by QPR would be a disgrace. 

Im not saying it’s a rumour that is anywhere near true though -  just what is being said by quite a few folk

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, wmb said:

Could be Shaw (or his agent) went to club to confirm he was going to agree the pre contract with Celtic and the club has an since given to a counter offer.

Happens in real world all the time where you interview for a job, get offerp that you verbally agree but when you hand your notice in the present employer offers more Money

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wmb said:

One of the things about the internet and social media, is the complete lack of hard evidence and fact. I would have thought the commentator most likely to be speaking the truth is Bannan e.g. it isn't done yet. That isn't to say anyone else is not telling the truth, they are just piecing 2&2 together and making 5 to create a 'scoop'. The fact he has said it in the press conference is deliberately aimed at fans to support Shaw, who is clearly going to remain in the team, in my opinion. I also thought during his video clip yesterday, he chose his words carefully, sending a clear message to Shaw. As you rightly deduce. I suspect he is playing a 'hands on role' with Chansiri to ensure he does not let him slip away to Celtics academy.

• Like 5