Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

Guest FoxOwl12

He says he will give 100% for the rest of his time at the club. For me that would be at home on gardening leave. I wouldn't have him strutting his stuff anywhere near our other youngsters. Having him around the first team wouldn't be fair on the other youngsters either. I totally agree with some of the others posters, if he thought that much about his boyhood club he could have signed a contract thus ensuring we got a fair price for him. But then again Celtic only came in because they knew they could get him on the cheap. 

45 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

He says he will give 100% for the rest of his time at the club. For me that would be at home on gardening leave. I wouldn't have him strutting his stuff anywhere near our other youngsters. Having him around the first team wouldn't be fair on the other youngsters either. I totally agree with some of the others posters, if he thought that much about his boyhood club he could have signed a contract thus ensuring we got a fair price for him. But then again Celtic only came in because they knew they could get him on the cheap. 

It's a massive opportunity for him. They'll pay him well. He'll play against rubbish and be a diamond in the rough. He has the potential to play in europe not League 1. Absolute no Brainer for him.

23 hours ago, shandypants said:

Shaw is no different from the vast majority of other footballers that choose to (and in many cases, have to) do what they feel is right for them financially. If we are offering a fraction of what Celtic are offering then you can see why he decided to sign for Celtic. 

However, there are three sides to this story: Shaw’s, the club’s and the Owls fans’. The club will be aggrieved given the investment made and potential lost, Shaw may feel aggrieved that the club aren’t backing him with a good contract, but, in my opinion, it’s us fans that will feel most aggrieved; we want to see loyalty from Shaw and we want to see the club hold onto talented youngsters - we have seen neither. I absolutely don’t agree with abusing people but I can see why people are sounding off at the club and Shaw; this situation is soul destroying. 

Am I annoyed at Chansiri? Yes - three talented academy players have been allowed to leave in as many years. Will I wish Shaw well if he does leave for Celtic as we expect? No - I won’t abuse him but as he isn’t bothered about the fans or the club, I’ll not bother to wish him well. 

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF?!?

He's a lifelong blue and white blooded fan of the club

He's one of us 

He's one of US (e.g this site) too

He's loved Wednesday all his human life

I just dont' know where you got this statement from

So I should wish him well because he’s a Wednesdayite? That’s a flawed and somewhat naive argument IMHO. He’s walking out on us - the reason might be right for him but it’s not good for us fans who want to see our good players stay. 

I’ll not wish him ill but I won’t wish him well - he might be a Wednesdayite but he’s not doing the right thing by us; he’s doing what he thinks is the right for him.

I don’t feel gracious towards Chansiri about this situation; why would I feel gracious towards Shaw? I don’t have to love one and dislike the other.  It’s just a big mess and they’re both responsible for it, and the biggest losers are the fans. 

Also, it’s not like Shaw has been a good servent to the club is it? He’s had many years of development and a handful of games. He’s taken immeasurably more than he’s given. He’s hardly Nigel Worthington or Kevin Pressman is he? 

• Like 2

Just now, shandypants said:

So I should wish him well because he’s a Wednesdayite? That’s a flawed and somewhat naive argument IMHO. He’s walking out on us - the reason might be right for him but it’s not good for us fans who want to see our good players stay.  

Take that up with Chansiri then not a young lad and fellow lifelong Wednesday fan moving for a better future

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

he might be a Wednesdayite but he’s not doing the right thing by us; he’s doing what he thinks is the right for him. 

This is all levels of wrong

It's not just an opinion that's wrong

Everything about this statement is just fairy tale cloud cuckoo wrong

Owlstalk Shop

It just shows that football is a business and players will look out for themselves above anything else, and rightly so 

It’s why I don’t understand fans who moan that DC doesn’t treat us all like one big family, and that were supposedly more than just customers 

Edited by FreshOwl

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Take that up with Chansiri then not a young lad and fellow lifelong Wednesday fan moving for a better future

Search my posts on here and you’ll see that I have not abused Shaw in any way; all I have said is that I won’t wish him well; neither will I wish him I’ll. Also, search my posts on here and you will see that I have been very critical of Chansiri - I think Chansiri has taken the fans for granted and is making a real mess of things. 

Furthermore, I will send you my Facebook and Twitter handles if you want for you to check if I have abused Shaw in anyway. You’ll find that I haven’t because I’m not an idiot. All I’ve said is that I won’t wish him well - he’ll not miss my blessing; he won’t be looking out for it. 

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is all levels of wrong

It's not just an opinion that's wrong

Everything about this statement is just fairy tale cloud cuckoo wrong

Please elaborate instead of just making statements. Could you also explain clearly instead of being trite or using platitudes like “he’s one of us”? I wish to know why my statement is wrong on all levels and what they are. 

I have given you the respect of explaining my reasoning; please can you do the same for me? 

Edited by shandypants

Losing a player for next to nowt 

Reloaning the player for a loan fee and paying higher wages and getting a player fit and more experience is the most Wednesday thing ever 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Christ, the Shaw clamour is getting a bit OTT.

Talking about loaning him back like he’s the key to our midfield, he’s barely played 10 senior games! 

100%. He'd still have a job getting in the midfield if Luongo, Hutchinson and Bannan were fit now IMO. (lol, Luongo + fit in the same sentence I know) 

A loan back is a no from me. He's chosen to leave, so I'd rather we looked elsewhere or looked at giving someone like Hunt (i think we have an option to extend by 1 year?) Shaw's share of game time next season if possible.