Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

40 minutes ago, darra said:

Or he could disappear off the radar like Clare and arguably Hirst

What happens to players after they leave is of no concern to us. It’s not Wednesdays problem or issue if players leave and then their careers stall elsewhere. 

The issue is maximising their value to us. There are a lot of eyes on the Championship looking out for young British kids emerging and holding their own at an extremely competitive level. Some clubs have made a business model out of exploiting those eyes for as much cash as they can, including our neighbours at S2.

A young English lad like Shaw only needs to put together 6-12 months of decent Championship football, with a couple of “highlight reel” moments, before his stock skyrockets. It isn’t even up for debate that agreeing a contract with Shaw earlier and giving him the rest of this season + the first half of next would have been more lucrative to us than letting him leave for “nothing” - aside whatever compensation we get.

More to the point, none of this exists in isolation does it. It’s just more behaviour/club policy to add fuel to the fire that there’s no strategy, no plan, no vision and nobody with a brain making anything like a long term strategic decision down at S6.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

True but If Monk knew what he was doing Shaw would have been in the side earlier and would possibly have been offered a better contract earlier.

Shaw is miles in front of Hunt or Dele.

Cant blame Pulis for spotting a proper player.

Monk was a total charlatan 

So you blame the guy who brought him through to the first team in the first place. Brilliant.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Add to that Mike Trusson, a scout for Celtic FC who Tony Pulis brought in to work with Sheffield Wednesday in November 2020. 

I really think this is Pulis’ way of getting back at DC. Especially with the Trusson link. Funny that this news came out a week after Pulis got a public hammering at the hands of our gracious chairman.

Out of all the clubs to come in for Shaw. Celtic? Just all seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Stinks of DC being played yet again.

• Like 2

We invest in bringing players through and what we have no way of assessing them early and getting them signed up! Other clubs seem to be identifying them well enough! Shaw should not play again for us because already we have shown them to hold off signing for us because you will get a chance and can go at the first opportunity! No loyalty at all, I understand why Shaw has gone but he's given nothing back for his development, so that stinks. Need to show some strength and not play him from now on! 

Until people get organized and push Chansiri to sell we are going nowhere good! Hurst now Shaw he never learns! Also besides the money side of growing your own or even selling for money. He seems to still not get the connection we have as supporters with our own young players! It's not just a player it's losing one of our own.... It's a shambles and affects the supporters. Right now we have had plenty of kicks in the nadds. Here is another. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

What happens to players after they leave is of no concern to us. It’s not Wednesdays problem or issue if players leave and then their careers stall elsewhere. 

The issue is maximising their value to us. There are a lot of eyes on the Championship looking out for young British kids emerging and holding their own at an extremely competitive level. Some clubs have made a business model out of exploiting those eyes for as much cash as they can, including our neighbours at S2.

A young English lad like Shaw only needs to put together 6-12 months of decent Championship football, with a couple of “highlight reel” moments, before his stock skyrockets. It isn’t even up for debate that agreeing a contract with Shaw earlier and giving him the rest of this season + the first half of next would have been more lucrative to us than letting him leave for “nothing” - aside whatever compensation we get.

More to the point, none of this exists in isolation does it. It’s just more behaviour/club policy to add fuel to the fire that there’s no strategy, no plan, no vision and nobody with a brain making anything like a long term strategic decision down at S6.

This is bang on. Jordan Slew turned out to be a rubbish footballer, but the Blunts were laughing all the way to the bank after they got over a million for him.

Liam Shaw might flop at Celtic, he might flourish, but either way his value with a long-term contract is probably more than ten times what we're going to end up being paid for him.

Another utter shambles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

This is bang on. Jordan Slew turned out to be a rubbish footballer, but the Blunts were laughing all the way to the bank after they got over a million for him.

Liam Shaw might flop at Celtic, he might flourish, but either way his value with a long-term contract is probably more than ten times what we're going to end up being paid for him.

Another utter shambles.

David Brooks is another one. A decent young player don’t get me wrong, but 30 Championship appearances and dismantling us on the telly was enough for them to get £11m for him. £11m!

Shaw probably wouldn’t net us anywhere near that return, but we’ll never know either way. We never will if we keep allowing young players to walk 3 months after they make a debut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

The fact that we have so many out of contract players would suggest in fact that we don’t have anybody in charge of this, which unfortunately would not surprise me at all.

Somebody is almost certain to be doing that job but it appears to be that the man at the top who has the final say "his words" either drags his heels or doesn't see academy products as important, in which case and many have said it, what's the point in having an academy and youth team set up?

Its hard enough attracting players at any age now due to the different levels of academy and the pulling power of premier league teams so when you get a diamond its imperative you look after it. Sadly we on 3 occasions to date have failed miserably.

Quite frankly bizarre that we haven't offered Liam Shaw a decent contract. No logic in this whatsoever.  Our best prospect from our academy for years, hes a wednesday fan and been at the club for 11 years.  Yet we seem content spunking money on crap loans like Marriott, Brown etc and signing crap like Kachunga.

Our Chairman has clearly no business acumen whatsoever.

Given this latest piece of news, I would seriously consider closing down the academy.  What is the point in it?

• Like 1

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

Quite frankly bizarre that we haven't offered Liam Shaw a decent contract. No logic in this whatsoever.  Our best prospect from our academy for years, hes a wednesday fan and been at the club for 11 years.  Yet we seem content spunking money on crap loans like Marriott, Brown etc and signing crap like Kachunga.

Our Chairman has clearly no business acumen whatsoever.

Given this latest piece of news, I would seriously consider closing down the academy.  What is the point in it?

Can you share what contact we offered Shaw? We could well have matched Celtic, but he left for footballing reasons. 

If we paid Shaw 50k a week, and he got injured, would you blame the Chairman for that as well?

Can’t imagine why Shaw wants to leave; other than the chance of earning loads, winning games every week, playing in Europe, playing in front of 50k plus at home week in week out (Covid-19 restrictions relaxed of course) and maybe a chance at future international honours. Beats me.

UP THE OWLS!!!

• Like 3

Guest Therealrealist
8 minutes ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Can’t imagine why Shaw wants to leave; other than the chance of earning loads, winning games every week, playing in Europe, playing in front of 50k plus at home week in week out (Covid-19 restrictions relaxed of course) and maybe a chance at future international honours. Beats me.

UP THE OWLS!!!

Shaw wont be doing any of that

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Any company can't pinch our players if we create a club they want to play at, and where they're under contract

I agree. 

We  left ourselves wide open with Shaw for Celtic to pull our pants down, which they have. 

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

Can you share what contact we offered Shaw? We could well have matched Celtic, but he left for footballing reasons. 

If we paid Shaw 50k a week, and he got injured, would you blame the Chairman for that as well?

Over the past 2 months or so, it has been widely reported that Liam Shaw wanted to stay here and I firmly believe this. It is also been reported that we’ve only offered £2-3k per week for this lad. This may be lazy journalism but I reckon there is some truth in this. Celtic have offered x and we have offered y and the differential is too great to turn down. I don’t blame Liam Shaw in the slightest. Good luck to the lad! I am not buying into the fact that Shaw is going to Celtic for footballing reasons.

If I was the chairman of this football club, I would be investing in my key assets in players with potential who I could potentially make some money out of in the future rather than bringing in crap loans and signing players with no resale value. Shaw is comfortably a starting 11 player already. 

Finally, you suggest that it’s just another stick to beat the Chairnan with. Well, given how he has run the club over the last 6 years and the continuing amount of bad decisions that this guy has made, I am firmly in my rights alongside any other reasonable supporter to question what has gone on here? We go from one disaster to another with no plan, no structure and no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Over the past 2 months or so, it has been widely reported that Liam Shaw wanted to stay here and I firmly believe this. It is also been reported that we’ve only offered £2-3k per week for this lad. This may be lazy journalism but I reckon there is some truth in this. Celtic have offered x and we have offered y and the differential is too great to turn down. I don’t blame Liam Shaw in the slightest. Good luck to the lad! I am not buying into the fact that Shaw is going to Celtic for footballing reasons.

If I was the chairman of this football club, I would be investing in my key assets in players with potential who I could potentially make some money out of in the future rather than bringing in crap loans and signing players with no resale value. Shaw is comfortably a starting 11 player already. 

Finally, you suggest that it’s just another stick to beat the Chairnan with. Well, given how he has run the club over the last 6 years and the continuing amount of bad decisions that this guy has made, I am firmly in my rights alongside any other reasonable supporter to question what has gone on here? We go from one disaster to another with no plan, no structure and no idea. 

It would be nice if the chairman would stop handing us sticks to beat him with wouldn’t it. 

lol

• Haha 1