Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

6 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I note a few articles from the Celtic side this morning, stating he is being signed for their academy.

Its a winner, winner, chicken dinner deal this, for everyone. We train the lad for 11 years and get nothing. He moves from first team football back into an academy, admittedly on much better wages. Celtic get a free asset, who a) might make the first team in a couple of years, or b) they will be able to sell back to an English club for a profit. His agent earns his bumper fee.

Moving away from your family, mates, boyhood club where you’ve just broken in to the first team and said a few weeks ago it’d be a dream to sign a new contract... to play academy football in another city/country where you don’t know anyone in the middle of a pandemic

• Like 2

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Why...he should be told that he's first name on the team sheet until he leaves and that if he helps keeps this team up he'll always be welcomed back

Correct 

Why would you in a relegation battle put one of your better and consistent performers in the Academy, talk about cut your nose off to spite your face

I know he’s said he’s committed until the end of the season, but I just feel a bit iffy about it 

If it was me, and I just signed for Celtic and had a huge career ahead of me, I’d be airing on the side of caution in matches until I made the move

And I’d have that mindset as a Wednesday fan playing for Wednesday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

Moving away from your family, mates, boyhood club where you’ve just broken in to the first team and said a few weeks ago it’d be a dream to sign a new contract... to play academy football in another city/country where you don’t know anyone in the middle of a pandemic

Given what youve just put surely must make you ask the question what is going off at the club 

Celtic fans seem optimistic:

“Welcome to the best bench in the world.“

“Welcome to Celtic. It'll be good for Connell, Oko Flex, Ralston, Dembele and Co to have another pal to sit with in the stands. Hope takes full use of the players lounge as well.

His career is in for a sharp nose dive if Lennon remains his boss. Lennon doesn't improve players, doesn't instill knowledge, tactics or fitness.”

“Another young player who'll most likely rot in our reserves?

Also it's absolutely hilarious that this clown thinks he'll be here next season, he's in for a nasty surprise if supporters return before the end of this season.”

“Just what we need, another midfielder”

“Why ?sounds like another bench warmer,surely we have plenty of youths with potential?.

Nice to add players to the squad if their ready to hit the ground running but cant help but get the feeling this lad will be another who will rot in the reserves or be loaned out.”

“Somebody should tell him to stay put, he'll do * all developing here.“

3 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Given what youve just put surely must make you ask the question what is going off at the club 

Yeah absolutely. It’s the equivalent of missing an open goal really — shouldn’t have been difficult to persuade him to stay, but for whatever reason it looks like he’s decided not to

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Why...he should be told that he's first name on the team sheet until he leaves and that if he helps keeps this team up he'll always be welcomed back

I respect your view and I know it is shared by many. I equally know my view is also shared by many, it is another issue to polarise the fans, they seem to come around every corner. Its the fans who suffer, due to the clubs mismanagement again.

Finally, we all know the truth. His decision is made and we will no doubt never find out the true facts. However, my opinion is what it is and we move on without him, as we have before. 

8 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Completely agree. I doubt we would have needed to match Celtics offer to convince him to stay. No doubt we will never get the truth, but this issue has irked me more than any of the incompetence which has gone before.

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I know he’s said he’s committed until the end of the season, but I just feel a bit iffy about it 

If it was me, and I just signed for Celtic and had a huge career ahead of me, I’d be airing on the side of caution in matches until I made the move

And I’d have that mindset as a Wednesday fan playing for Wednesday 

He didnt look like he had that mindset last night

18 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Exactly, it's a mad move he is selling his potential career. He may make it granted but will be harder to do it going Scotland than what it would staying here.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've read this a few times over and don't understand what point you're making

Playing in Celtics reserves will stunt his progress compared to playing in Wednesdays 1st team. He knows this, anyone knows 1st team football is key. But he can't turn the money down-hes risked his football career to guarantee financial security. 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Playing in Celtics reserves will stunt his progress compared to playing in Wednesdays 1st team. He knows this, anyone knows 1st team football is key. But he can't turn the money down-hes risked his football career to guarantee financial security. 

Do Celtic have a reserve team?

Owlstalk Shop

31 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

And also cup grand a week more make it a bit seaside to handle 

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

What if we offered him a platry sum of money compared to what all the players around him are getting?

What if your gaffer at work was paying you 10% of what hes paying your colleagues doing the same job

Would you commit to another 3 years of that just to get the required experience to get a better job somewhere else?

Be honest

If I didn’t feel very valued somewhere I wouldn’t stay. If the finances were in a similar ball park even if there was an increase elsewhere there would be other things I would consider.

I have no idea what the offer was or how it compared to say Bannan or Pelupessy and despite various rumours of a low offer that hasn’t been confirmed and i daresay it has been a negotiation fuelled by this interest in any case. In the short term he will probably be better off financially.