Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Playing in Celtics reserves will stunt his progress compared to playing in Wednesdays 1st team. He knows this, anyone knows 1st team football is key. But he can't turn the money down-hes risked his football career to guarantee financial security. 

That I agree with. He should be looking to play as much football as possible at his stage of his career and he probably won’t get that at Celtic.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Do Celtic have a reserve team?

They do but they also tend to loan out a fair  number of players too. At present I think that level of football is cancelled in Scotland due to the pandemic 

• Like 1

Just now, edinburghowl said:

That I agree with. He should be looking to play as much football as possible at his stage of his career and he probably won’t get that at Celtic.

They do but they also tend to loan out a fair  number of players too. At present I think that level of football is cancelled in Scotland due to the pandemic 

no comparison between the clubs, dont blame the lad one bit

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Playing in Celtics reserves will stunt his progress compared to playing in Wednesdays 1st team. He knows this, anyone knows 1st team football is key. But he can't turn the money down-hes risked his football career to guarantee financial security. 

Totally agree pal. 
Clearly about money alone and we’ve obviously not got much. 
He should learn from the young lads gone before White ,Hirst  and the like and stay and develop. He’s good but had much to learn. 
Shame we hadn’t got a manager  in place that could have developed him like a big mick who knows the game inside out. 
It just a sad indictment of our club at the moment. 

Just now, billyblack said:

no comparison between the clubs, dont blame the lad one bit

There’s no comparison I agree. Celtic if he can be a success there is a good move and they’re undoubtedly a bigger club than Wednesday in every single aspect. I just don’t see Shaw playing there and that’s a problem at his age and stage of his development. 

• Like 4

Just now, edwinowl said:

Totally agree pal. 
Clearly about money alone and we’ve obviously not got much. 
He should learn from the young lads gone before White ,Hirst  and the like and stay and develop. He’s good but had much to learn. 
Shame we hadn’t got a manager  in place that could have developed him like a big mick who knows the game inside out. 
It just a sad indictment of our club at the moment. 

I reckon he has doubts about his own career, he's been given a chance and he's took it but he might feel he's excelled himself like Ritchie Humphreys for example so gone for the money while it's on offer, you can't blame him as such for that.

I think if a player 100 percent backs themselves to make it they go for the option that gives them the best career path.

I think our problem was that nobody particularly rated him until Pulis took a shine and got him into the team, by this point we realise we have a player with potential but unfortunately his contract is also up, so it's bad on all our coaches including Monk as well as DC etc for not recognising he's decent 

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

I reckon he has doubts about his own career, he's been given a chance and he's took it but he might feel he's excelled himself like Ritchie Humphreys for example so gone for the money while it's on offer, you can't blame him as such for that.

I think if a player 100 percent backs themselves to make it they go for the option that gives them the best career path.

I think our problem was that nobody particularly rated him until Pulis took a shine and got him into the team, by this point we realise we have a player with potential but unfortunately his contract is also up, so it's bad on all our coaches including Monk as well as DC etc for not recognising he's decent 

Quite ironic that if we hadn't had the injuries we had (i.e. injured Luongo), then he may not have got his first team chance when he did and he wouldn't have therefore had Celtic on the table and we might have been able to extend his deal on a low offer. 

Gotta say its a misjudgment by the club i guess and its bitten us on the backside . 

• Love 1

Hope we can make up for this by signing talented youngster on similar deal from a club that is in even more problems than we are. Sean McGurk from Wigan is an excellent prospect and bringing him in would soften a blow from loosing Shaw to Celtic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Quite ironic that if we hadn't had the injuries we had (i.e. injured Luongo), then he may not have got his first team chance when he did and he wouldn't have therefore had Celtic on the table and we might have been able to extend his deal on a low offer. 

Gotta say its a misjudgment by the club i guess and its bitten us on the backside . 

Yeh but if nothing happened to Luongo I could see us just releasing him too as another young player who didn't make it! Usually when you have a good young player fans go on about them like "why don't we give so and so a shot he's doing well in the academy" I never really saw a clamour for him like other academy players in the past

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh but if nothing happened to Luongo I could see us just releasing him too as another young player who didn't make it! Usually when you have a good young player fans go on about them like "why don't we give so and so a shot he's doing well in the academy" I never really saw a clamour for him like other academy players in the past

I guess it happens. Sadly its happening at us far too often. 

I.e. with Urgohide, he was binned off by AFC Wimbledon before we picked him up, its always hard to tell I guess but thats what clubs employ their staff to try and figure out. 

Either way, the structure of the club needs an overhaul and I just can't see DC overseeing that with how he operates. I wish i could. 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I guess it happens. Sadly its happening at us far too often. 

I.e. with Urgohide, he was binned off by AFC Wimbledon before we picked him up, its always hard to tell I guess but thats what clubs employ their staff to try and figure out. 

Either way, the structure of the club needs an overhaul and I just can't see DC overseeing that with how he operates. I wish i could. 

To be fair to DC, nobody has been bothered about Shaw until Pulis and his team. I think this one is bit of an outlier and all due to the scout who has gone to Celtic and raved about him. If not this I would have expected more clubs to be interested

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

To be fair to DC, nobody has been bothered about Shaw until Pulis and his team. I think this one is bit of an outlier and all due to the scout who has gone to Celtic and raved about him. If not this I would have expected more clubs to be interested

That’s not true. He was part of the first team under Monk. Monk gave him his debut. So it’s wrong to think he’s suddenly burst on the scene. He’s been involved for awhile now. 

This should have been sorted last summer where he would have most likely jumped at the chance of a new deal at Wednesday.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

That’s not true. He was part of the first team under Monk. Monk gave him his debut. So it’s wrong to think he’s suddenly burst on the scene. He’s been involved for awhile now. 

This should have been sorted last summer where he would have most likely jumped at the chance of a new deal at Wednesday.

Monk gave him a game here and there as he did a handful of young players. Pulis was the manager who got us talking about him