Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

4 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

If that's your criteria then we may as well look in the Under 16s 

I assume you are applying the same logic to these players who haven't signed a new contract and I can guarantee their agents are trying to get them deals elsewhere as well as here 

Adam Reach

Jordan Rhodes

Osaze Urhoghide

Joost van Aken

Keiren Westwood

Elias Kachunga

Tom Lees

Moses Odubajo

Joey Pelupessy

Matt Penney

Barry Bannan

Kadeem Harris

Alex Hunt

Is that a list of players who's contracts are expiring?

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It's been pointed out many times that these players will actually be playing for a deal somewhere (if not here).

Shaw has already signed a contract

Pulis said back in December that Bannan, Reach and Lees had all been offered extensions.

If they were ‘fully committed’ as you put it wouldn’t they have already signed?

Out of the starting 11 last night I’d be surprised if more than 3 or 4 are still here next season

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Is that a list of players who's contracts are expiring?

It is 

Its also a list of players who's agents will be contacting the majority of clubs to let them know they are free in the summer 

Its a list of players who will be getting told not to do anything to damage any potential move away or new contract here

thus showing the exact same reported commitment that posters are saying Shaw should be dropped for 

Its Crackers 

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Me? I'd shove him in the car, put the foot down, drive him as fast as I can away from this Chairman, and shove him through the door at Celtic

I'm astonished you are actively advocating the breaking of Covid guidelines after all you've said on the subject.

Really disappointed in you Neil...

Edited by markowl
  • Haha 3

Guest Grandad
10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Will be like Yaya Toure in that team and league.

Good luck to him.

Yep - he will be a blue whale in a paddling pool up there - such is the dire standard of Scottish football

Shaw is no different from the vast majority of other footballers that choose to (and in many cases, have to) do what they feel is right for them financially. If we are offering a fraction of what Celtic are offering then you can see why he decided to sign for Celtic. 

However, there are three sides to this story: Shaw’s, the club’s and the Owls fans’. The club will be aggrieved given the investment made and potential lost, Shaw may feel aggrieved that the club aren’t backing him with a good contract, but, in my opinion, it’s us fans that will feel most aggrieved; we want to see loyalty from Shaw and we want to see the club hold onto talented youngsters - we have seen neither. I absolutely don’t agree with abusing people but I can see why people are sounding off at the club and Shaw; this situation is soul destroying. 

Am I annoyed at Chansiri? Yes - three talented academy players have been allowed to leave in as many years. Will I wish Shaw well if he does leave for Celtic as we expect? No - I won’t abuse him but as he isn’t bothered about the fans or the club, I’ll not bother to wish him well. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 2

I note a few articles from the Celtic side this morning, stating he is being signed for their academy.

Its a winner, winner, chicken dinner deal this, for everyone. We train the lad for 11 years and get nothing. He moves from first team football back into an academy, admittedly on much better wages. Celtic get a free asset, who a) might make the first team in a couple of years, or b) they will be able to sell back to an English club for a profit. His agent earns his bumper fee.

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Am I annoyed at Chansiri? Yes - three talented academy players have been allowed to leave in as many years. Will I wish Shaw well if he does leave for Celtic as we expect? No - I won’t abuse him but as he isn’t bothered about the fans or the club, I’ll not bother to wish him well. 

WTF?!?

He's a lifelong blue and white blooded fan of the club

He's one of us 

He's one of US (e.g this site) too

He's loved Wednesday all his human life

I just dont' know where you got this statement from

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It's been pointed out many times that these players will actually be playing for a deal somewhere (if not here).

Shaw has already signed a contract

I really did wish modern day footballers thought like this, but the reality is with the exception of some of the Academy lads they really don't

Luke Shaw is a low risk, cheap, gamble for Celtic who will be at best on the fringes of their first team squad or more likely signed for development squad. Anyone thinking he’s going up there to play regularly and will be like “Yaya Toure” is on cloud cuckoo land. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I won’t abuse him but as he isn’t bothered about the fans or the club, I’ll not bother to wish him well. 

We'll find out who isn't bothered about the club over the next two months...one thing for sure is that Shaw won't be going through the motions like some of the other players who are out of contract

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF?!?

He's a lifelong blue and white blooded fan of the club

He's one of us 

He's one of US (e.g this site) too

He's loved Wednesday all his human life

I just dont' know where you got this statement from

Are you being sarcastic Neil or are you being serious? 

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Shaw is no different from the vast majority of other footballers that choose to (and in many cases, have to) do what they feel is right for them financially. If we are offering a fraction of what Celtic are offering then you can see why he decided to sign for Celtic. 

However, there are three sides to this story: Shaw’s, the club’s and the Owls fans’. The club will be aggrieved given the investment made and potential lost, Shaw may feel aggrieved that the club aren’t backing him with a good contract, but, in my opinion, it’s us fans that will feel most aggrieved; we want to see loyalty from Shaw and we want to see the club hold onto talented youngsters - we have seen neither. I absolutely don’t agree with abusing people but I can see why people are sounding off at the club and Shaw; this situation is soul destroying. 

Superb summary mate and exactly how I feel. He has been advised or chosen short term money over first team football. To give him his dues, he has seemingly given the club time to response to the Celtic interest. This Scottish/foreign loophole needs closing, its a disgrace they, like Leicester do not have to pay appropriate compensation. As for people abusing him, it is both terrible and upsetting. Why do people think they have the right to do it? 

Place him back into our academy and we move on. A really poor episode, again, as you say, the supporters taking the biggest hit,

1 minute ago, edinburghowl said:

Luke Shaw is a low risk, cheap, gamble for Celtic who will be at best on the fringes of their first team squad or more likely signed for development squad. Anyone thinking he’s going up there to play regularly and will be like “Yaya Toure” is on cloud cuckoo land. 

Articles from the Celtic side this morning, already saying he has been signed for the academy. He's a virtual freebie, no risk....

• Like 1