Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

36 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I bet Virgil Van Dijk wished he'd never signed for Celtic 🤪

See it works ALL the ways

I bet Moussa Dembele,  Stuart Armstrong and Víctor Wanyama all think the same. I also imagine Tierney wakes up every night wishing he’d never joined them as a young lad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Not really. C-L backed his ability. Shaw has taken the first offer he’s received and he’ll be playing in a terrible league. 

Liam Shaw has played more first team games for us then DCL did for the Pigs before Everton came in for him. 

Everton came in for DCL, Celtic came in for Shaw. Both left for better things.

2 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

But we know that, but staying up is our priority, going down truly could be the end of the club. Played his last game last night, no way he can play for us again. Sad but there you go.

He should play every game until the end of the season. He’s better than Pelupessy so will give us more chance of staying up.

28 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Not really. C-L backed his ability. Shaw has taken the first offer he’s received and he’ll be playing in a terrible league. 

As opposed to playing for a club that at the moment in time will be a division lower than Lincoln City next season along with potential trips to a village to play Forest Green Rovers. 

Just now, darra said:

According to WAWAW76, we matched Celtics offer and it's now up to Shaw. Having seen the posts on here and other places calling him a traitor and worse I wouldn't blame him if he left.

Trust me 'traitor' is mild compared to the stuff on Twitter on his personal timeline 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

Or maybe it's the lure of playing for a better team than our mickey mouse outfit, where he has a chance of actually winning something and progressing.

Good luck to him I say. Why would you stay at our absolute shambles of a football club, where we struggle to score a goal never mind win games.

Any who has a go at this lad, is an absolute moron as are those banging on about loyalty. Why the hell should he be loyal, What for few first team games? 

So how do you progress from winning 9 league trophies in a row?

I get the argument for going to such a historic club like Celtic but that's really it isn't it? The standard of football is better in the Championship, the teams are significantly better, the players are better, the media coverage is better, the pay is better...

This is why every single half decent player who goes to Scotland eventually leaves within 18 months - they realise once novelty of playing for iconic team wears off they are going to start regressing and waste their career.

No issue with him leaving us, the way we have been ran and how we manage our contracts/recruitment has been AWFUL in the Chansiri era. My issue is if he's leaving because he thinks he's going to advance his career and become a better player at Celtic, he's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Loppy said:

It's not as much as you'd think. Ethan Ampadu is a fair comparison. 8 games for Exeter at 15yo before Chelsea moved for him. They were expecting much more than they got. £1.3m plus £1.2 in add ons (matches played and internationals etc). They did get awarded a 20% sell on clause though, which could be a big earner. Doubt we'll get awarded one on a international tribunal. 

Yeah that sounds about right. The tribunal fees are often caveated and well spread out to suit the poaching club but the sell ons are good for the lower league sides who are told to raise revenue from developing younger players. I think it still applies internationally (sell on) but to a lesser degree. 

not sure what celtic have offered him, but he is unproven playing in a very poor team i would be shocked if they are going to pay him 10 grand a wk. but saying that if he is going to cut it then if we offered even 20% less that celtics basic offer and had bonus added on for games played etc im sure we could have got him a decent deal here ,then if he kept improving a club would come in with a big money offer ,club would cash in ,and would be set for life. look what greedy little boy hirst did? screwed club what had him since a kid ,did a deal so club got nothing and is on 10k a week now but will finish up in national league or lower at end of his quick buck contract. these lads dont care about our club or any club , they see the pound signs every day instead of thinking of the longer picture.  gone are the days when a lad dreamt of playing for his club and staying there as long as he was wanted (except liam palmer) who i know loves the club and would play anywhere in the team ,i can see how much it means playing for us when ive spoken to liam palmer.  regards not playing liam shaw now well nomally id say dont play him again but we are desperate. 

3 minutes ago, morganowl said:

not sure what celtic have offered him, but he is unproven playing in a very poor team i would be shocked if they are going to pay him 10 grand a wk. but saying that if he is going to cut it then if we offered even 20% less that celtics basic offer and had bonus added on for games played etc im sure we could have got him a decent deal here ,then if he kept improving a club would come in with a big money offer ,club would cash in ,and would be set for life. look what greedy little boy hirst did? screwed club what had him since a kid ,did a deal so club got nothing and is on 10k a week now but will finish up in national league or lower at end of his quick buck contract. these lads dont care about our club or any club , they see the pound signs every day instead of thinking of the longer picture.  gone are the days when a lad dreamt of playing for his club and staying there as long as he was wanted (except liam palmer) who i know loves the club and would play anywhere in the team ,i can see how much it means playing for us when ive spoken to liam palmer.  regards not playing liam shaw now well nomally id say dont play him again but we are desperate. 

There’s absolutely no way Celtic will be paying him anywhere near £10k a week. I’ll be shocked if it’s even half of that 

this is like banging your head against a brick wall 

The questions are really simple 

Has Liam Shaw signed the most lucrative deal available to him? YES

Has Liam Shaw signed the best deal available to him to help progress his career? YES

Is playing for Celtic FC in the Scottish Premiership next season better than playing for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship/League1? YES

Has Liam Shaw done whats best for Liam Shaw at this moment in time? YES 

Its that simple you can ttalk about backing himself to get a better championship club or a premier league club but the facts are hes signed the best deal available to him 

Personally id much prefer to see him do well in Scotland than do well for a championship or Premier league club in England

The bigger and more important questions that should be getting asked in this thread are why and how this has happened and why it will happen again, but yeah ignore these and keep slagging the lad and the club he's signed for 

And for the record if fit he should still play for us for the rest of the season despite agreeing to a move else where because he will still be one of our top 4 performers each match  

Just now, PARKOWL said:

this is like banging your head against a brick wall 

The questions are really simple 

Has Liam Shaw signed the most lucrative deal available to him? YES

Has Liam Shaw signed the best deal available to him to help progress his career? YES

Is playing for Celtic FC in the Scottish Premiership next season better than playing for Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship/League1? YES

Has Liam Shaw done whats best for Liam Shaw at this moment in time? YES 

Its that simple you can ttalk about backing himself to get a better championship club or a premier league club but the facts are hes signed the best deal available to him 

Personally id much prefer to see him do well in Scotland than do well for a championship or Premier league club in England

The bigger and more important questions that should be getting asked in this thread are why and how this has happened and why it will happen again, but yeah ignore these and keep slagging the lad and the club he's signed for 

And for the record if fit he should still play for us for the rest of the season despite agreeing to a move else where because he will still be one of our top 4 performers each match  

The route to a bigger/better club from Sheffield Wednesday isn't by staying at Sheffield Wednesday

It's by going to Celtic and then leapfrogging to somewhere like Liverpool

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The route to a bigger/better club from Sheffield Wednesday isn't by staying at Sheffield Wednesday

It's by going to Celtic and then leapfrogging to somewhere like Liverpool

Exactly 

20 minutes ago, g-owls said:

As opposed to playing for a club that at the moment in time will be a division lower than Lincoln City next season along with potential trips to a village to play Forest Green Rovers. 

Christ Almighty, I have never for one second suggested he should stay at Wednesday

lol

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Trust me 'traitor' is mild compared to the stuff on Twitter on his personal timeline 

Why, what ya been saying bout him? 👀 

13 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

So how do you progress from winning 9 league trophies in a row?

I get the argument for going to such a historic club like Celtic but that's really it isn't it? The standard of football is better in the Championship, the teams are significantly better, the players are better, the media coverage is better, the pay is better...

This is why every single half decent player who goes to Scotland eventually leaves within 18 months - they realise once novelty of playing for iconic team wears off they are going to start regressing and waste their career.

No issue with him leaving us, the way we have been ran and how we manage our contracts/recruitment has been AWFUL in the Chansiri era. My issue is if he's leaving because he thinks he's going to advance his career and become a better player at Celtic, he's wrong.

Thank f**k for this