Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

39 minutes ago, BIG D said:

As I said over and over last night, I’m not suggesting he should have stayed but it’s a terrible career move for a young lad with a lot of potential. They are miles and miles behind Rangers

And you still completely miss the point.

What other offers did the lad have? Stay at sinking Wednesday heading for League One or join one of the biggest clubs in the UK? You’re in complete denial if you think he’s made the wrong decision. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And you still completely miss the point.

What other offers did the lad have? Stay at sinking Wednesday heading for League One or join one of the biggest clubs in the UK? You’re in complete denial if you think he’s made the wrong decision. 

It’s February, there’s 4 months for much better offers to come in which they would have if he’s as good as we all think. In denial about what? I think he should leave but to a proper challenge. 

Edited by BIG D

11 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It was explained to me last night that English clubs won’t pay the compo. All Ut’s promising young’uns have ended up in The Premier League though so that’s probably bs. 

It would be interesting to see how much the uk compensation would be. Much higher than 300k but the top clubs get some great deals as seen with Harvey Elliot recently where the 4m quid was spread over a long period and subject to various clauses.

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It’s February, there’s 4 months for much better offers to come in which they would have if he’s as good as we all think. In denial about what? I think he should leave but to a proper challenge. 

4 months. What if he gets a really bad injury? What if his form dips? What if a new manager comes in and doesn’t select him? 

He’s got a lengthy contract offer on good money with a massive club on the table. Or he’s got an offer from sinking Sheffield Wednesday who can’t pay him on time and have a very bleak future on and off the pitch.

It’s an absolute no brainer. Nothing is guaranteed in life and football - when these opportunities come along you take them. 

The only issue here is the absolute state we are in that the lad feels the need to jump and leave his boyhood club. What sort of environment do we have down at Hillsborough? 

9 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I can't decide, if I was a coach in our academy who'd looked after Liam Shaw,  if I'd be incredibly demotivated by seeing this happen  or actually quite proud.

I mean, you would be happy for the lad but you ultimately train them to do well for your own club. 

I'm apoplectic this has been allowed to happen. We pay Urby Emanuelson a reported £30k per week to play 20 minutes and we won't go the extra mile to make sure our promising young lads are signed up.

Chansiri can moan about money all he wants but he is the root cause of every bit of his downfall, so for me he can pay carry on paying the money and stfu! A clever man wouldn't be in this position, simples.

Edited by Brad_owl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

It would be interesting to see how much the uk compensation would be. Much higher than 300k but the top clubs get some great deals as seen with Harvey Elliot recently where the 4m quid was spread over a long period and subject to various clauses.

It would be a few million. Which people have explained in a time where Championship clubs aren’t really splashing money during a global pandemic - there’s no guarantee a club would have had the funds to sign Liam.

1 minute ago, Brad_owl said:

I'm apoplectic this has been allowed to happen. We pay Urby Emanuelson a reported £30k per week to play 2o minutes and we won't go the extra mile to make sure our promising young lads are signed up.

Probably not lining the corrects persons pockets

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

4 months. What if he gets a really bad injury? What if his form dips? What if a new manager comes in and doesn’t select him? 

He’s got a lengthy contract offer on good money with a massive club on the table. Or he’s got an offer from sinking Sheffield Wednesday who can’t pay him on time and have a very bleak future on and off the pitch.

It’s an absolute no brainer. Nothing is guaranteed in life and football - when these opportunities come along you take them. 

The only issue here is the absolute state we are in that the lad feels the need to jump and leave his boyhood club. What sort of environment do we have down at Hillsborough? 

I agree, money wise it’s a great move for him and his agent. He should have more faith in his own ability though. 

17 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It was explained to me last night that English clubs won’t pay the compo. All Ut’s promising young’uns have ended up in The Premier League though so that’s probably bs. 

They don't need to pay any compo....back door conversations between agents and clubs(as is the norm) would sort it. Signs with X club on 1st June/ July

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It would be a few million. Which people have explained in a time where Championship clubs aren’t really splashing money during a global pandemic - there’s no guarantee a club would have had the funds to sign Liam.

Give over

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s typically the premier league clubs that come in and take players for compensation and they still have the cash. Obviously not that level of interest yet and Celtic might not have done it either had they had to pay. Either way the EFL club is the loser if they haven’t or can’t make an early decision on a contract and the player is willing to walk.

Just now, BIG D said:

Give over

Why? Hardly any money was chucked about in January.

Prem club might have taken a punt, but by your logic that would be a terrible move for him. He has more chance of playing up in Scotland. Moves to the Prem he’ll probably sit in their U’23s.

It’s a superb move for Liam. I’m sure he has faith in his ability to break into the Celtic team and make a name for himself. 

I bet Calvert-Lewin lies awake at night wishing he’d signed for a Scottish club. 
Perhaps he and his agent don’t think he has what it takes so go and play in Scotland and earn some good money? Fair play if so 

Edited by BIG D
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s typically the premier league clubs that come in and take players for compensation and they still have the cash. Obviously not that level of interest yet and Celtic might not have done it either had they had to pay. Either way the EFL club is the loser if they haven’t or can’t make an early decision on a contract and the player is willing to walk.

Agreed, the only loser here is Sheffield Wednesday - not for the first time (see George Hirst).

7 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

I mean, you would be happy for the lad but you ultimately train them to do well for your own club. 

I'm apoplectic this has been allowed to happen. We pay Urby Emanuelson a reported £30k per week to play 20 minutes and we won't go the extra mile to make sure our promising young lads are signed up.

Chansiri can moan about money all he wants but he is the root cause of every bit of his downfall, so for me he can pay carry on paying the money and stfu! A clever man wouldn't be in this position, simples.

I think you might have unwittingly found the answer with the urby comparison.....is DC swayed by players who have a 'name' and is totally unaware of up and coming young players.....so is easily persuaded to sign the players he has heard of on Art's X box?