Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Celtic have a fantastic track record of signing young unknown players and selling them on to Premier league clubs for a fortune. Maybe  this was part of Shaws thinking when deciding to move there. 

Wednesday, it has even been suggested, provide a better route to a Premier League career someone of Shaw’s promise must surely be seeking.

But the evidence doesn’t stack up. A cursory glance down the list of outgoing Celtic transfers in the last decade reveals a raft of players who moved to Glasgow young before going on to play in the major leagues in Europe; from Jeremie Frimpong to Victor Wanyama to Moussa Dembele. Virgil van Dijk did OK out of them, too.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-celtic-bound-liam-shaw-last-person-blame-sheffield-wednesday-exit-3137701

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

So how do you progress from winning 9 league trophies in a row?

I get the argument for going to such a historic club like Celtic but that's really it isn't it? The standard of football is better in the Championship, the teams are significantly better, the players are better, the media coverage is better, the pay is better...

This is why every single half decent player who goes to Scotland eventually leaves within 18 months - they realise once novelty of playing for iconic team wears off they are going to start regressing and waste their career.

No issue with him leaving us, the way we have been ran and how we manage our contracts/recruitment has been AWFUL in the Chansiri era. My issue is if he's leaving because he thinks he's going to advance his career and become a better player at Celtic, he's wrong.

Who do you think gets more media coverage them or us ? He is putting himself in the shop window up there against easier opponents, so he is going to look that bit better. They play him as a ball carrying centre back, which I believe is his best position. He will be at a premier league club within 18 months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Who do you think gets more media coverage them or us ? He is putting himself in the shop window up there against easier opponents, so he is going to look that bit better. They play him as a ball carrying centre back, which I believe is his best position. He will be at a premier league club within 18 months.

Yep. It’s a terrific move for him. People seem to think he’s going to be stuck at Celtic for the rest of his career. He’s only 19, has the potential to be an excellent stepping stone for the lad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No but it's their job to say who should have a contract surely. Just cos there is no official DOF doesn't mean we literally have nobody who is supposed to do these things.

The fact that we have so many out of contract players would suggest in fact that we don’t have anybody in charge of this, which unfortunately would not surprise me at all.

• Like 2

Just out of interest - if we're genuinely considering whether moving to Celtic is good for his career or not (blatantly is) - who was the last player we sold to a Premier league team? I know our weird transfer policy plays a part but the only one I can think of is Rhoys Wiggins. And that made no sense then. Before that? Grant, Whelan, Brunt? Not exactly promising to stay here to develop and move up is it?

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

The fact that we have so many out of contract players would suggest in fact that we don’t have anybody in charge of this, which unfortunately would not surprise me at all.

Agreed. There’s clearly a communication breakdown somewhere from the coaching staff to the chairman. Crazy the amount of contracts we’re letting run down.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is I don’t think we actually do. 

Ha maybe

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

No I think they want rid of most or on much lower terms

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

There’s no comparison I agree. Celtic if he can be a success there is a good move and they’re undoubtedly a bigger club than Wednesday in every single aspect. I just don’t see Shaw playing there and that’s a problem at his age and stage of his development. 

He'll get cup games and minor ties in Europe at best to start with.

Another factor has got to be how long has Lennon got left? If he gets sacked which must be likely will the next manager want Shaw?

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep. It’s a terrific move for him. People seem to think he’s going to be stuck at Celtic for the rest of his career. He’s only 19, has the potential to be an excellent stepping stone for the lad.

And also it is likely to have been a straight choice between them and us. Had there been these premier league clubs on the horizon I am sure they would all be informing his agent to hang fire on that Celtic contract.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Or he could disappear off the radar like Clare and arguably Hirst