Next manager odds

Here, here Gizowl.

Let's Get Paul Cook in and get this show on the road.

The way it is looking with Derby winning last night and Rotherham taking 4 points from their last two games we are going to need a "top top drawer" Manager like Cook to survive.

20 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Paul Cook is chomping at the bit desperately wanting the chance to steer us away from from the travisty of relegation. For goodness sake Chansiri stop sitting on your hands man up and get it sorted now or just f.. k off and take Alonso and Paixao with you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Word of the day; cunctatious...a person prone to delaying something, procrastinating. Wonder if there is a word for this in Thai....Chansiri? 

So far 3 weeks into our search, we know of two names who have had talks...Cook, the blindingly obvious choice for a club in our position, with the profile of players at the club. And, Ivic, the polar opposite of what we need in terms of temperament and playing style, at odds with what Chansiri said when he sacked Pulis and a carbon copy of our last 3 negative managers. 

Wonder what today will bring, not much I suspect?

• Like 4

We are hiring a head coach not a manager. So we need a candidate who is willing to be a Head coach, and not an old fashioned manager who makes every decision.  

Paul Cook said he doesn't want to be a head coach, and wants more control. So I'm not sure why he's even commenting on our vacancy. Either he is willing to be a head coach, or he is just saying it to hopefully get the job and get a pay day if he gets sack. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

We are hiring a head coach not a manager. So we need a candidate who is willing to be a Head coach, and not an old fashioned manager who makes every decision.  

Paul Cook said he doesn't want to be a head coach, and wants more control. So I'm not sure why he's even commenting on our vacancy. Either he is willing to be a head coach, or he is just saying it to hopefully get the job and get a pay day if he gets sack. 

Doesn't matter what title they have, head coach, manager they'll get treated the same. Total disrespect, constant interference and totally to blame when it goes ******** up. 

27 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

Dont disagree, but a head coach role requires a structure and strategic oversight which we simply dont have. I genuinely dont know what Chansiri is looking for.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Dont disagree, but a head coach role requires a structure and strategic oversight which we simply dont have. I genuinely dont know what Chansiri is looking for.

Exactly, he wants a head coach as he wants to play puppet master yet doesn't have the structure to support it.

Traditional manager could do more and protect his investment longer term (if the appointment was right) yet he won't give up the control.

He's basically got a massive toy that him and his two pals have a natter about and lurch from one short term idea to the next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Word of the day; cunctatious...a person prone to delaying something, procrastinating. Wonder if there is a word for this in Thai....Chansiri? 

So far 3 weeks into our search, we know of two names who have had talks...Cook, the blindingly obvious choice for a club in our position, with the profile of players at the club. And, Ivic, the polar opposite of what we need in terms of temperament and playing style, at odds with what Chansiri said when he sacked Pulis and a carbon copy of our last 3 negative managers. 

Wonder what today will bring, not much I suspect?

I've been wondering about this for a bit now.  Are we at the stage where even a risky/bad appointment is better than no appointment and dragging this out further?

I think you probably have around a 2-week window after removing a manager to appoint someone where, unless you're in exceptional circumstances, you can do it in a manner to project confidence to the club and the players.  This candidate was the best one, most impressive, our first choice etc.  Gives an air of authority to them as they start their job.

After that window though, if you haven't appointed someone, with every passing day it just looks like you're having to work through options way down your list and take whatever you can.  I don't think it remotely helped Monk for example - due to the time it took to appoint someone who was available all along, it just smacked of a "we can't get anyone else" appointment, and I think the players knew it.  There was no confidence in the appointment from the club (remember DC's press conference with him!) and that seeped through the place.

Football is so much a confidence and mindset game.  Perhaps this manager search is slightly exceptional (COVID, new work permit rules, not expecting to boot Pulis so soon) so we were unprepared.  But its becoming a farce now, even for us.  Even if its Thompson they appoint, the club needs some certainty and needs it soon.  If we wait until Feb to appoint someone, then unless they are a big name etc, it will just look like they were another 'he's the best we can do' appointment, which is hardly what we need to galvanise players for a relegation scrap.

TLDR; Chansiri and his mates needs to make a decision, even if its a risky one, and they need to do it soon.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

I've been wondering about this for a bit now.  Are we at the stage where even a risky/bad appointment is better than no appointment and dragging this out further?

I think you probably have around a 2-week window after removing a manager to appoint someone where, unless you're in exceptional circumstances, you can do it in a manner to project confidence to the club and the players.  This candidate was the best one, most impressive, our first choice etc.  Gives an air of authority to them as they start their job.

After that window though, if you haven't appointed someone, with every passing day it just looks like you're having to work through options way down your list and take whatever you can.  I don't think it remotely helped Monk for example - due to the time it took to appoint someone who was available all along, it just smacked of a "we can't get anyone else" appointment, and I think the players knew it.  There was no confidence in the appointment from the club (remember DC's press conference with him!) and that seeped through the place.

Football is so much a confidence and mindset game.  Perhaps this manager search is slightly exceptional (COVID, new work permit rules, not expecting to boot Pulis so soon) so we were unprepared.  But its becoming a farce now, even for us.  Even if its Thompson they appoint, the club needs some certainty and needs it soon.  If we wait until Feb to appoint someone, then unless they are a big name etc, it will just look like they were another 'he's the best we can do' appointment, which is hardly what we need to galvanise players for a relegation scrap.

TLDR; Chansiri and his mates needs to make a decision, even if its a risky one, and they need to do it soon.

Good point, and not one I'd considered until now.

At present, we have a 'leader' who appears paralysed by indecision, and that impression will filter down to the coaches and playing staff.

Put it this way: if you were Adam Reach, Barry Bannan or Tom Lees, would you be rushing to sign that new contract any time soon?

Here are the realistic options I think Chansiri is looking at:

Vladimir Ivić 

Paco Jémez

José Morais? Brexit rule?

Thorsten Fink

René Weiler

I don't think Paul Cook is under consideration now/will get it and I think Chansiri wants to hire a "proper" head coach and wouldn't give it to Thompson.

I think Chansiri's top 2/3 now would be Ivić, Fink/and Weiler. I would think Fink (no pun intended) or Weiler would be probably the best choice. What's yours from the list? 

Upwind has given a view and I share it.

"Cook is our man - time for the Chancer to get it over the line...."

The advisors to DC need to remember that with the three approved vaccines in the UK fans may well be back in Hillsborough later in the year.

But no one forces fans to purchase a season ticket, membership of POTG.

The appointment of a non-entity manager could see a meltdown in income from supporters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Upwind has given a view and I share it.

"Cook is our man - time for the Chancer to get it over the line...."

The advisors to DC need to remember that with the three approved vaccines in the UK fans may well be back in Hillsborough later in the year.

But no one forces fans to purchase a season ticket, membership of POTG.

The appointment of a non-entity manager could see a meltdown in income from supporters.

Was Pulis a non-entity manager? Anything but in the situation we were facing he was deemed as a safe appointment but look how that ended. I think we will see an appointment over the weekend, but whoever we appoint (bar Nigel Pearson) will see a meltdown from various portions of the fanbase. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Would you give the job to Thompson, based on that?

No you wouldn't but there is definitely no need for the mass panic. Especially if the right manager for us is not out there yet.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1